Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Ken may be the GOAT..doesn't mean he should be the next host. Not a natural choice imo. I did think he improved as time went on, but I would expect that as he learned the ropes. Other top 5 GOATS I'd like to see given a chance if they are looking for a past contestant.

Bern

2. Bern

Bern JC4Me

It's not PC to say it...but his age may be his downfall. He's 64.

Bern

3. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

So that would give him what? another twenty or so years as a viable host?

4. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I want it to happen. The Reading Rainbow background makes for a great fit (and he's my avatar's shipmate, after all). But it's a little cheesy to see the petitions spread on LB's own social media pages. I hope it doesn't end up counting against him.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  5. Bern

Bern JC4Me

MAY be his downfall. I think he'd make a great host. 20 years is being generous. Average US male lives to be 76. I just think that age may be a factor in deciding who gets the gig.

6. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

Art Fleming was 40 when he started as the original host. Alex was 44 when he started the revival version.
    From the success of those two, I think they should find someone who will be between 40 and 44 as new permanent host.

7. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I would think they are thinking long term. So 40's sound about right.

8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

More like 14 if you go by average life expectancy, and people in their 70s have increased chance of debilitating illnesses. I think LeVar could be great, but the producers are not going to want to do another host search in 10-15 years. They will want someone who has the potential to stay in the job longer.

Bern likes this.
  9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Avery Brooks as the new host.....

10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Where does the executive producer of "Jeopardy" (Mike Richards I think his name is) fit in your guest host rating(s)?

I thought he did pretty well...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

In 10-15 years, the current producers of "Jeopardy" will probably have either retired or moved onto different pastures, I don't think they'd be worried about who's host by then...

12. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

But their job now is to find a host who’s going to last a while. A good manager makes decisions for the long-term interest of the company, not limited to their own tenure. I doubt Sony is going to allow them to pick a host who will only be there for another decade or so.

Harry Friedman, the previous producer of Jeopardy (before Mike Richards) was there for 25 years, btw.

13. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

14. Not Trending

Not Trending Well-Known Member

The vast majority of "Jeopardy!" viewers are over 50 years old. A 64-year-old LeVar Burton would fit into an age group that they are comfortable hanging around with for a half-hour. I'm skeptical that LeVar will actually get the job (if he was at the top of their list, he likely would have gotten a guest hosting spot), but I'm sure the producers won't want to skew too young when choosing a new host just to hope for longevity in the position. ("Please welcome your new host, Jojo Siwa!") A new "Jeopardy!" host that keeps the key audience intact would likely be fine with them. They they can adjust down the road when needed. Just because Alex Trebek hosted the show for 36 years doesn't mean the next host has to as well.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

Jane Lynch, who is hosting The Weakest Link but just is not quite as good as Anne Robinson was, is someone who could have been given a tryout. I think she could fit better to Jeopardy!. But The Weakest Link has been renewed for another 13. It won't last, at least not for years. Jeopardy! could last with a good host.
    Jeopardy! is often paired with Wheel, is it here, from the same production company. I didn't watch it at all for years but started seeing it again a bit to a bit to see Alex's last shows. Sajak is on autopilot (money) and Vanna isn't sure why she's there (money) and interactions between the two are strained and painful (but friendly enough, they have just run out of any possible small talk and it is entering parody). They'll stay until they drop (money). The production company has a foreseeable problem there, and choosing hosts for both shows should be a consideration somehow since they often run together. Until they found Sajak, Wheel had a hosting problem. Sajak proved to be notsogood in other formats but perfect for this one, but he has now checked out except for (money).

16. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I can only imagine the message boards when Alex Trebek was first hired.

He's not a natural fit like George Hamilton.

Charlotte Rae is the obvious choice!

If it's not Arsenio Hall, I simply won't watch.

905, BeatleJWOL and JohnG like this.
  17. Shambolicus

Shambolicus It's 'cause I'm short, I know...

More like “He’s okay, but he’s sure no Art Fleming!”

Btw, 1984 me asked, “What’s a message board?”

GMfan87' likes this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I don't think the host should be the focus of the show so all these celebrity appearances just smacks of stunt filler until the fall 2021 season. I agree so far that Jennings and Richards fared the best but who knows what's been going on bts since Alex passed away 5 months ago. And for an athlete, AR sure is low-key energy. I mean, it's not like he's never been around that set before.

19. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

from what we have seen so far
    1- Jennings , not the best , but has the most goodwill with the audience , will get better and better , has a huge upside
    2- Couric , the most professional , probably would be a good move to hire a female (or a minority)

Jennings is the only "white straight male" that the media will be ok with hiring

wildcards: let us see how Rip Taylor or the cop from the Village People do, in their tryouts

20. poidog

poidog Forum Resident

Personally, I'd like to see a non-celebrity get the gig. Give someone new a career.

Crawdad likes this.
  21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Fixed.

nick99nack likes this.
  22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Good idea! I hadn't thought of Jane Lynch, but she might be great hosting Jeopardy.

Crawdad likes this.
  23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If that should happen my wife and I will tune out forever as we can't STAND her! Jane would be a HORRIBLE choice, but is perfect for "The Weakest Link" because that show demands a mean spirited a$$hole to be the host, so she's perfect for that show!

24. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

I see your point. But I wish she got a one week tryout - she might have molded right into Jeopardy!. Or not.... they've had worse guest hosts already imho.

25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

She would have to tone down her sarcasm considerably. I like it, but it's because I'm a sarcastic b$st$rd. Over the years, my wife has beat it out of me, so I can usually control my tongue, but I get a vicarious thrill from watching others who don't.