Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I must confess I'm really not familiar with him so have nothing else to compare his performance to. Still, he's pretty low-key and the very nature of a game show, even one with Jeopardy's pedigree, requires a certain amount of energy in a host to keep things lively and interesting. Maybe he'll get more comfortable and improve.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I lost track of him after "Midnight Cowboy".

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Elliot on yesterday's show is the second person in the past few weeks to make a bone-headed wager that lost them the game. I thought these people were supposed to be smart!

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I would go so far as to classify him as soothing. He is very polished but he kind of puts you to sleep. Very likeable though.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm quickly losing interest in these so called "guest hosts", as most of them have been pretty boring or fairly flat, in my opinion.

If anything is going to happen with all of this "guesting", I believe that it is that the booth announcer, Johnny Gilbert, will end up a star in his own right.

Coming from a guy who uses his voice for a living (me), I say that Johnny is perfect in his role on "Jeopardy".

Here is one of Johnny's funniest moments on "Jeopardy" ...

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

What's really amazing is that Johnny Gilbert is nearly 93 years old. I figured he had to be up there because I remember him from the 60s. The guy must really love his work.

MikaelaArsenault and bmasters9 like this.
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Actually, he's just about 97 (born 7/13/24 in Newport News, VA, IIRC).

MikaelaArsenault and 905 like this.
  8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

It’s amazing that his voice is still so strong at 97.

MikaelaArsenault and 905 like this.
  9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

11. Davosco

Davosco Senior Member

He sure does. My son and I were there in October 2019 for 5 live tapings. When it was time for us in the audience to clap during the show, he stands up and waves his arms high in the air each time to urge us all on to clap even though there are plenty of applause signs blinking in the studio.

I suppose he was 95 at the time. We were sitting in the second row pretty much right behind him and when the last show was finished, my son wanted to move down to say hello and maybe shake his hand. We got up to walk maybe 20 feet and Johnny was long gone and off his stand/chair like the road runner disappearing back stage. So he has quite a bit of energy and enthusiasm for his age.

12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

You can definitely hear it in his voice. No weakness or hesitancy. Good for him!

MikaelaArsenault and Davosco like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

still singing! wow...

14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

15. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Me, too. I never saw him when we was a contestant, but I like him as a host. He seems like he’s having a blast.

16. R. Totale

I remember him as being rather annoying and show-offy as a contestant, but he's doing fine as host - better than Ken J., I'd say.

Bern and Kyle B like this.
  17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'm surprised finding myself enjoying Buzzy as well. He's got great energy, can read the answer with proper emphasis and annunciates very well. Not a fan of his somewhat unconventional look, but perhaps he'll bring in a younger demographic? From what I've seen, I certainly wouldn't complain if he got the gig full-time.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Maybe it's just a reaction to the Whitaker snoozefest but Buzzy sure comes off as the classic game show host. Very comfortable on camera and a great voice to listen to on a regular basis. And a neat, quirky look to boot. Who knew?

GMfan87' and Rycherocker634 like this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical Omnivore

Re: his 'look'... he makes me think of Buddy Holly.

20. R. Totale

I was thinking The Nutty Professor.

21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This going to far.. they should picked somebody last year as stand by...
    Not this musical chairs nonsense .. if they pick somebody young and dumb
    You can guarantee ratings will tank.

905 likes this.
  22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Funny as neither my wife or I had a clue who this "Buzzy" guy is. She said, "who's the guy who looks like he's from "Harry Potter"?

Tonight we were outside and only "listening" to him host, with no picture and I thought to myself, "this guy really does read the answers very well". I'm still not crazy about the visual though.

23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Regarding Buzzy, he strikes me as having a 1920s/1930's type of look about him...

24. R. Totale

After seeing the Buzzy TOC I'm convinced he has been the choice for next host all along and the whole guest host rigamarole is just for a buffer.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

After seeing Sam dominate the TOC, I was struck by how comfortable he appeared on camera. What the hell, give him a shot, too!