Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think Mayim's doing a decent job- As others said, it's unlikely she'd really be considered for full time hosting, but it wouldn't bother me if she was.

mrjinks likes this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I meant moving forward as in permanently hosting, not these short gigs. As you say, I wouldn't be surprised if all these guest hosts are donating their salaries to charity or even just doing it for the sheer enjoyment as well as resume cred. Then again, I've known enough rich people to know enough is never enough.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Nope, didn’t like her at all. Seemed like an actress playing a game show host which I guess she was. Just came across as pretty fake to me. So far I like Buzzy & the quarterback the best.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Regarding Savannah Guthrie- I thought she did a passable job. Not Earth-shattering or anything, but better than some (looking at you # 12)...

And some people have stated that the guest hosts are simply doing this for fun or whatever, but the way I read this article, it looks as though some of them truly are using it as a soft audition for the 'Jeopardy' gig... It states:

"While guest-hosting Jeopardy! has been a tryout for some celebrities, the weight is off Today Show anchor Savannah Guthrie's shoulder because she has no interest in leaving the NBC morning show."

'Jeopardy!': Savannah Guthrie Delivers Disappointing News for Fans Wanting Her as Permanent Host

5. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

The best two so far IMHO are the last two: Balik and Guthrie

6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Savannah was fine but I can't see her giving up her Today show gig for Jeopardy. I still like Buzzy. He looks like a game show host. Rooting for Levar too though.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I'm still sticking with Buzzy.

8. Crawdad

If you're idea of looking like a gameshow host is Dave Garroway

Paul J likes this.
  9. Holerbot6000

But I liked old Dave. He had a goofy enthusiasm about him. great analogy actually.

Paul J and Crawdad like this.
  10. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Guthrie is K. Couric light :(
    I still like Richards , Buzzy and if Bialyk was even in contention she seems more than acceptable.

Rycherocker634 and Manapua like this.
  11. Crawdad

I have my moments

12. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Forum Resident

Buzzy also reminds me of this guy:
    [​IMG]

Manapua likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Speaking of game shows, ABC has apparently thrown in the towel when it comes to scripted summer shows right? They have game shows five nights a week now with Tuesday showing a rerun of Sunday's To Tell The Truth. Who needs a Game Show Network?

14. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Buzzy has some Devo going on.

15. Crawdad

I'd say Katie Couric hot:D

16. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Whatever floats your boat but they are both so fake with those smiles, little girl voices imo.

Motorcity supernaut and jonathan like this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

The link I posted a few posts up-thread said she'd have no desire to leave the Today Show.

18. Grand_Ennui

I like "The Chase", and have got into watching "Press Your Luck" as well.

19. Grand_Ennui

We're almost a full week into his guest hosting gig, and nobody has mentioned Sanjay Gupta...

I think he's doing alright...

aorecords likes this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

He's looks a tad short behind the podium, but other than that he's doing o-kay. He reads the "answers" very well, but his affirmatives are his weakness. Tonight's show got interrupted 2 minutes in with a news break-in about a tornado warning and the whole episode was not shown. I just shrugged. If he got the gig, I wouldn't complain but I also would likely not watch routinely anymore.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Gupta just seems to be there, no more no less. Not much stands out about his efforts but on the other hand, I don't find his presence distracting. Then again, I never watched the show because of Alex either, it's the game that matters. In fact, I can admit not liking Alex when the show was brought back in the 80s. Took awhile to get used to him, too but time took care of that.

R. Totale likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

I'm going to have to check that out when I watch Friday's episode....

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Oh, is THAT who that was. I didn't see the intro on the one episode I passed by the other day and wondered who was hosting. I wasn't familiar with his face, but I went over the list in my head that I'd heard of as being in the guest host line-up and figured that's who it must be. But until now, had no confirmation.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Holerbot6000

I tend to agree - there is something sexy about Savannah despite some of the weird outfits she wore. She was also extremely smooth - she had the patter down within a few shows and seemed very comfortable. I know she won't give up her day job but I thought she was one of the best hosts overall.

Sanjay I was not familiar with. He's fine, just kind of nondescript.

Crawdad likes this.
  25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Gupta is alright. Something about the way he flashes that huge smile and gestures with his hands regardless of whether the player's response is correct or not gets a little annoying. But, as with other hosts, he might grow on me.