Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. agaraffa

agaraffa Forum Resident

I haven't watched WoF since the 80's, but I swear they used to show when Pat did the final spin and landed on a non-dollar-amount and had to spin it again. Maybe things were more free-form back then.

2. From Reading Rainbow to Jeopardy sounds pretty great.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Just announced today:

[​IMG]

4. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

My guess is that they just do a retake now. Why waste the precious 30 seconds?

5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

LeVar would good, but they’re going to go younger. They won’t want to have to find another host in 10-15 years.

6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical Omnivore

Ken Jennings did fine. About all I could say as advice would be some classes about loosening up and trying to not be affected by knowing about the large audience maybe... Trebek wasn't too relaxed in his earliest shows, and he'd had a fair amount of experience!

:thumbsup:

7. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Here's the thing about Ken Jennings and hundreds of semi-famous people like him: you gotta spend YEARS toiling in the television underworld to get as good as Alex Trebex was. You think Trebek just popped up out of nowhere? Hell no! He'd been working as a newsreader and TV host for TWENTY YEARS, honing his craft in obscurity. Ken Jennings does a few TV snappy TV interviews and suddenly he thinks he can handle the bright lights? Gimme a break.

My prediction is that the Jennings experiment will be short-lived and they'll bring in a "pro" immediately afterwards.

RSteven and bmasters9 like this.
  8. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I would watch if he wore the VISOR.

The Hud, Bern, Rooster_Ties and 2 others like this.
  9. uh, yeah. these are short-term guest hosts right now.

RSteven and Zeroninety like this.
  10. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Jennings is okay, I'd like them to give him time to grow into the job. He really doesn't have a classic broadcaster voice. I'll give Katie Couric a try, but I never really cared for her very much. I agree that Meredith Viera would be good choice, love to see her get chance but, I guess, she's under contract elsewhere.

11. Davosco

Davosco Senior Member

I may be able to help on this question.

When I sat in the audience on a full week of 5 show tapings in October 2019, Alex did do a small number of edits for a few of the shows in front of us. For example, he did 2 on an Eastern European Food category to correct pronunciations. But one edit involved a contestant interview which was reshot shorter in length of time. The contestants name was Muhammed Ali (spelled differently) and I remember the original version had some humor in it that was subsequently not used in the edited version and it significantly shortened the time spent. So this can be a way to manipulate the length of each episode.

Actually, Johnny Gilbert did the most edits for those 5 shows where he corrected some contestant name pronunciations. Further, he did not physically appear for the morning 3 shows taped and edited in his voice into those shows during the afternoon setting. The morning intros were handled live by Jimmy from the Clue Crew and then edited out.

PS- If you speak to Wollensack, I say hi.

12. MikaelaArsenault

Veltri likes this.
  13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

So did the late, great Dick Clark in radio in the 40s and 50s, IIRC, before moving on to American Bandstand, the musical variety show on ABC that would define him in the eyes of millions starting in the 50s and ending in the 80s.

14. stevef

stevef Forum Resident

I think Ken Jennings did fine. He started out tight but eventually loosened up a little and read the clues a bit slower. He was really fast at first. His voice is a little thin compared to Trebek's but I got used to it.
    Aaron Rogers already has a job, and not sure why he was selected.
    Bill Whittaker might be interesting.
    I have no interest at all in Katie Couric.
    Mayim Bialik... I don't know... she is really intelligent and may be really good but...she has an acting gig too on Fox.
    I think Jim Parsons (who played "Sheldon"...the ultimate know-it-all) would be great. hahahaha

MikaelaArsenault and Zeroninety like this.
  15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

My guess (emphasis on 'guess') is that these guest hosts, other than Jennings, are stunt castings for ratings or to generate publicity - like the people who appear on 'Dancing With The Stars' - until the show ends this transition period and returns back to a regular basis with a new host, whom I presume will be Jennings. Earlier this season he was given the official title of 'consulting producer' by the show, which might as well have been 'host in training'. These others are not (serious) candidates for the job. Obviously Rogers and Bialik are not going to give up their day jobs or moonlight. Whittaker is 70 years old - too old I would suggest as a new hire for host. (And even so, he's too boring.) The Couric guest hosting stint completely mystifies me. What were the show runners thinking? What a terrible decision.

Jennings, btw, has been a regular on 'Masterminds' - a Game Show channel programme - for several years, amongst other 'odd' broadcasting jobs. For example, he's one of three ex-Jeopardy champions currently appearing on ABC's prime-time edition of 'The Chase' (another Game Show channel programme, originally a UK show). So, he's not without broadcast experience. I have the impression he's very well thought of by the show runners, a favourite of the show and fans, which in their minds out-balances whatever his deficiencies might be, like his speaking voice (not a traditional broadcaster's voice). And if you think in terms of 'Jeopardy' as a tradition carrying on after Alex, then selecting Jennings as the next host makes perfect sense as he provides that desired continuity.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  16. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Jennings is kind of obnoxious on The Chase. I know he’s trying to be funny, but it falls flat.

I agree that all the other guest hosts are stunts. If there are no other serious guest hosts, then it’ll be Jennings. I still think they can do way better. Being a contestant on the show isn’t a substitute for more broadcasting experience.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

They show a lot of commercials for The Chase whenever I watch TV.

18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Jennings is a legacy choice. I don't think he will be as good as Alex. I would prefer a fresher face. Jennings doesn't really bring anything new.

BUT, it's a 35 year old show. If Alex had departed earlier, maybe different. But he stayed on til death. That affects things. I don't think any new face has a chance of adding viewers and more chance of losing them. Jennings is the best choice to ride the show out.

19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Ken is doing ok, it's his first week. He is the Jeopardy GOAT so he certainly knows the game.

20. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

My father, who is 98 years old and wears a hearing aid, says that Ken does o.k., but his voice is softer than Alex's. He prefers Alex's voice. He is super sensitive to voices. To him also, all female voices are shrill. I'll refrain from any jokes after that statement :tiphat:

Bern, Atmospheric and cloggedmind like this.
  21. Tom Bergeron's not doing anything these days, is he?

(this is mostly a joke but if your head explodes, don't send me the cleaning bill)

t-man 54 and Veltri like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

Mike Richards will also be hosting two weeks.

23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Tom would be GREAT during that "Let's Get To Know The Contestants" bit that I always felt was Alex's weak spot.

Tom is a "People Person" who can think fast on his feet, which is what made him such an asset on the LIVE Dancing With The Stars. You really don't need EITHER of those things to host Jeopardy. You need to be able to read and annunciate well, sound as if you know ALL the answers, and of course, you need to look disgusted when contestants struggle with "Canadian Provinces".

24. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

He's gotten progressively better too. I think he's a good fit and I like that he can look at things from a contestant perspective - appreciates a bold Daily Double, etc. He's certainly better than most of those Douche-y buggers on the Game show Channel and my elderly mama likes him - target audience there.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It's funny because I was just thinking to myself as I read through this thread, just what do the late seventy, eighty and even the few ninety year olds, who have been addicted to this show on a daily basis, feel about Ken as host? So your post comes very welcome to the conversation. I'm not joking when I say this, but I'm betting that while most older viewers have no real issue with Ken hosting, most are probably saying "I can't HEAR what he's saying?". Luckily, if they still have their sight and the volume (like every old person I know, even WITH hearing aids), turned up to eleven (or on a TV, make that 65, LOL), they can survive the "Ken Jennings experiment". The thing that I honestly fear with those old viewers, is the "all the other guest hosts" experiment, where they will just get confused and start to lose interest in the show, as for them, the show was about guessing the question, not about the "host", as Alex had been there for so long. Those people don't really give a hoot about who hosts, as long as they keep the show moving the same and more importantly, that they can actually "hear" them!

bmasters9 and MikaelaArsenault like this.