Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah Levar would have been a good pick like 30 years ago. Not now.

Bern and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Maybe Mike will give himself the job.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Lester Green would be an incredible host.

BNell likes this.
  4. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I've never been a big Ken Jennings fan, but I think he's doing a very good job. He's the right person for this particular period. He's a face Jeopardy fans recognize, he's pretty much an ambassador of the show, and he keeps the focus on the game. His "Thank you, Alex" at the end of the game is a nice reminder of Alex.

5. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

can't really picture anyone but Ken hosting this show.

6. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

As noted by others, I think Ken Jennings has done well for someone who doesn't have a show business background, and he has provided a sense of continuity since Alex Trebek's passing. A candidate for the show that I haven't heard mentioned, but has good potential, is Ben Mankiewicz, one of the hosts on Turner Classic Movies. He has a good voice, well-reasoned comments, and is comfortable on camera.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I always enjoy watching Ben intro movies on TCM, but his voice and style wouldn't fit "Jeopardy" in my opinion. Again, just I noted with Ken Jennings, the show demands someone with an soft and kind "voice", but also one that is "secure". Alex as a host was already known as soft and kind and secure, but let's look back to Art Fleming, who was a completely different style and voice, yet once again, he was "secure" in the end!

Art Fleming hosting ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CUba9jLss

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Man those money rules are confusing and that set is wild- typical 70's game show set. Art is old school for sure. Alex brought in a freshness and weren't like the old school game show hosts that were still around at the time he started Jeopardy.

I saw Ken's first show yesterday. We are a week + behind in Jeopardy. He was fine but would like to see how some of these other guest hosts are. I wonder if the plan is him all along but will string the guest hosts out for a while to space out some time before they hand over the spot permanently to him. I do think there are better people out there. I don't think he deserves the spot or anything for any reason. So what if he won a lot of money He also works on the show already in which he can contribute there.

Bern and Chris C like this.
  9. Chris C

I hear you that I also believe that "the plan" was for him to end up as host all along as well. I also agree that there probably are "better" people out there and I have even done a little depth research of my own to find that "better" person, especially outside of the "usual suspects". I've even started thinking of friends I have in the "radio business" who might be worthy candidates, as most of these game shows hosts got their start in radio. If I were intelligent and thin (and about ten years younger), I would apply myself, but as I always tell people, that I have a "face" for radio, I'm overweight and I'm about to turn sixty! Now if the game show was ONLY about "music", then maybe I could at least be a contestant, LOL. And by the way, just in case anybody from SONY or Jeopardy who may read this, when I say to possibly consider someone in radio, I DON'T mean Ryan Seacrust, who is already oversaturated!

10. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

That's actually an episode from the short-lived '78-79 version. After a three-year hiatus they tried to bring the show back with those modified rules, but it wasn't a success - lasting less than six months.

A better one to judge is probably this one (pulled up randomly from youtube)

It at least has mostly the same rules as the current version.

bmasters9 and bartels76 like this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Will I ever get to 10,000 posts?

I think they want him to be obnoxious. The British Chase is very similar.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Why are these words under my name?

I think Mike Rowe would be a good Jeopardy! host.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I just hope they don't tap Dave Grohl to guest host- That guy shows up everywhere else at some point or another.

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Ben Bailey from Cash Cab would make a good host.

jonathan and R. Totale like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Agreed-Just say No to Ryan Seacrest on Jeopardy.

Chris C likes this.
  16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Jen seems to have settled in now and I'm really enjoying him as host. How much longer does he have?

17. Humbruh

Humbruh Well-Known Member

This wasn't very well reasoned even though it's a joke.

18. Adam9

Adam9 Senior Member

The last 2 Double Jeopardy categories in tonight's show were cool: "Big Star" and "Number One Record".

19. Chris C

I saw that and thought the same! Does anyone else other than my wife and I feel that the contestants on this show almost always steer clear of music related topics until they have to? As I always tell my wife, if all of the useless music trivia knowledge in my head were worth anything, I'd be a millionaire by now. I was used a few years ago for a "text" in (similar to a call a friend on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"), when my cousin was at a conference in Vegas and he was at a bar with a group of people and they needed a quick answer to a music trivia game. He won "something" because I was right, but I forget just what?

20. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Reports said he has taped 30 episodes. He’s at the end of his third week, so three more weeks.

21. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

Yeah...can't they change microphones or EQ that? Maybe some of those Scandinavian death metal guys can give him lessons?

We were just discussing, and agreed that Jerry Springer should host. What a mash-up that would be!
    Clue: this person's wife's surrogate mother was actually his mistress
    Response: Oh that was me, Jerry!
    Audience member: You piece of @#$%!!!! [Vaults out of audience, tries to claw his eyes out] You @#$@#!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!
    Jerry: Did you know our DNA tests shows a 3RD WOMAN is actually the mother?!?!
    [mayhem ensues][Alex Trebeck rolls over in his grave...or laughs his @ss off...]

Hey I could totally see that, he has a lower voice and a cool demeanor!! I just signed!! As "Donald Biden"!!!!
    o_O

22. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

Because it was a lot of money, so he didn't tell you...

23. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

New guest hosts were added: Anderson Cooper, Savanah Guthrie, Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

MikaelaArsenault and Rad Dudeski like this.
  24. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

So are we going to go all of 2021 with guest hosts?

MikaelaArsenault and Veltri like this.
  25. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Why are these words under my name?

They all suck compared to Alex. Anybody they select will never be right for Jeopardy!