Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Why can't it just be Ken Jennings (or LeVar Burton, if Ken can't do it full-time)? All those people just added have no business trying to fill Alex's shoes, in my opinion.

2. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Not sure Ken has any business being a host either. He was a great contestant. Nothing hurt by giving others a chance. I would rather have seen Brad Rutter if they were looking for a familiar face to host.

Bern

MikaelaArsenault and Kyle B like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

They're giving us six weeks of Jennings to get us used to his style. Then they'll take that away by throwing in Couric and the others for probably a week at a time and we'll all be hollering "Bring Back Ken Jennings!

5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Bingo. None of these guest hosts are doing tryouts for the job - they all have full time jobs (Savannah Guthrie) or aren’t serious contenders (Katie Couric). Mike Richards is the most serious alternative of the group they have so far.

I don’t get why the producers are pushing Ken as host, but they must really like him. He’s done a solid job for a novice, but I think there are far better options out there.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Bern, MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I haven't watched yet. Not ready. It's too soon.

7. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I discovered that our local affiliate shows reruns from last season at an earlier time. I’ve been enjoying those :)

8. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I like Jennings. He's doing a fine job. Most evening game shows have an out-of-work actor hosting, so this is not odd in any way. Since when do you have to be a professional game show host to do this job. Ken knows Jeopardy. Probably better than any other person alive today.

9. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I have no problem with Jennings, like Trebek said the contestants and the show are the stars.

I do think that it’s wise to have guest hosts for a length of time, better than giving full time out of the gate, less comparisons so soon.

10. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm fine with Jennings. He doesn't make the show about him.

My wife was watching some of these "re-imagined" versions of old game shows the networks have been dabbling in recently. Almost every one of these were simply excuses for showcasing loud, aggressive personalities who I suppose are some TV executive's idea of "funny", but are really anything but funny or amusing. I could never sit through an entire one of these shows. Jeopardy with Jennings has not done any of that.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Jeopardy doesn't have time for that nonsense. That's why it's the best one going.

12. MikaelaArsenault

13. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I've seen one episode with Ken Jennings hosting - he did a decent job.

MikaelaArsenault and altaeria like this.
  14. HGN2001

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

mrjinks, steviej, 905 and 3 others like this.
  16. bartels76

Dr. Oz is a really bizarre choice for hosting.

BeatleJWOL and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. bartels76

I like when he says "Nnnooo?" when a contestant gets an answer wrong.

18. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Dr Oz is a quack. I can’t imagine what they’re thinking. When they mentioned a guest host strategy, I thought more along the lines of George Stephanopoulos, Tom Bergeron, Meredith Vieira, Levar Burton, etc. Not Dr Oz. Or Aaron Rodgers.

905, BeatleJWOL, Bern and 1 other person like this.
  19. HGN2001

As a "doctor", Oz is actually more like a game-show host... ( I mean that in the most dis-respectful way possible) Still - no thanks.

20. MikaelaArsenault

Getting someone like Dr. Oz to host Jeopardy! is a joke.

Paul J, Vahan and BeatleJWOL like this.
  21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Almost all of the guest hosts are bizarre, terrible choices. The ratings are going to take a nose dive with Trebek's absence, anyways; are the show runners purposely trying to drive them even lower.

As far as the selection of a permanent host goes, my assumption is that the show's producers have already chosen Jennings unless he does something completely irredeemable or the viewing audience turns on him - neither of which I think will happen. I don't understand the reason behind these guest hosts and especially the thought process in selecting those particular individuals. Bad choices almost all. In another, past thread I theorized Jennings would be next host with the caveat about the quality of his voice - it's not a broadcaster's voice, but rather on the thin and weak side. On Jeopardy, Trebek was actually heard more than he was seen. The host should be someone intelligent and authoritative; congenial but not goofy or abrasive; and with a confident, strong speaking voice. If I was the producer, I'd first be voice auditioning and then prioritizing the other qualities afterwards.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

It seems like they are really desperate to find guest hosts.

23. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

ive never seen someone with less charisma. dead eyed huckster

bartels76 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Probably going to be tough to find a "Star", that's not going to make it more about themselves, than the show/contestants. Personally I've liked Meredith Viera, in just about everything I've seen, that she's done. A very warm, intelligent, down to earth, seeming person. That said, Ken Jennings seems to be relaxing into the role,and improving, as he goes. As far as Couric, Dr. (LOL) Oz, Guthrie, etal., it seems like a waste of time, mostly.

Kyle B and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. bartels76

Didn't Alec Baldwin express interest in hosting Jeopardy at some point? He would've been pretty good. I assume now that he has about a half dozen young kids and based in NY that hosting isn't in the cards for him anymore.