Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Mike Richards is good, but his "No" needs work - too harsh IMO.

Keith V, altaeria and Paul J like this.
  2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Katie Couric’s first night as host was awkward. Not as easy as it looks, apparently. She seemed a bit stiff and unnatural and insincere. I compare her to her Today successor, Meredith Vieira, who is smooth and warm and genuine as the host of 25 Words or Less.

Keith V likes this.
  3. colinu

I thought she did fine. I like Meredith too.

4. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

She gave an interview and said she was a “nervous wreck.” In fairness, it’s a very different show than what’s she’s used to doing. She’s an experienced broadcaster, so I’ll be curious to see what her learning curve is like over the next couple of weeks.

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I was expecting to dislike the Katie Couric shows. She was fine as an anchor on TODAY, but came across a bit whiney when she anchored the CBS EVENING NEWS for some reason. And though it a quite different experience from Alex Trebek, she came across as genuinely being in awe of being there, and I thought handled things pretty well.

*SHE* will not be the reason I turn off JEOPARDY in the upcoming weeks, but there's this certain doctor...

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It think Mike did better than Ken. I'd rather see him be the permanent host. I didn't realize he has hosted game shows before so he's has experience doing this. Katie, AC, and Oz have other full-time gigs so they aren't really in contention to take over this permanently no matter how well they do. It's really between Ken and Mike at this point...unless Meredith throws her name in the hat.

Kyle B likes this.
  7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It sounds like a button he pushes. Identical every time.
    “May I have cake?”

“no”

8. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

That's how she is though generally.
    I'll only watch the final question during her run , see how the others start out.

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I briefly toyed with avoiding the show when The Quack hosts, but I'm sure I'll check it out anyway.

905 and Keith V like this.
  10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The game itself is very entertaining enough thank goodness.

11. HGN2001

He'll probably lecture the contestants as to *why* they are wrong...

12. colinu

Hmm - if enough people don't watch it - ratings go down. That would send a clear signal.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. parman

parman Forum Resident

I liked Katie last night

Shoes1916 likes this.
  14. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Katie’s on her third night and she’s already more noticeably relaxed and enjoying herself.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

After reading this thread, I made a point of watching Jeopardy on Wednesday.

While I found Trebek unwatchably cranky & patronizing for the past couple of decades (at least), and the multi-million dollar winners an absolute joy-killer, I thought Couric was superb.

Genuinely warm and lovely, and appearing to be genuinely enjoying herself (Trebek mostly seemed like he didn't want to be there), she'd be a perfect choice to become the permanent host - a HUGE improvement over Trebek, and a move that should have been made 20-30 years ago.

16. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Wow, (re Trebek) certainly a minority opinion.

jonathan, Paul J and Grand_Ennui like this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I guess I also have a minority opinion: I think Katie is awful!

Ken is my favorite so far; Mike Richards was too slick for my tastes...

18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I wouldn't go as far as saying Katie is awful, but I don't think she's the best choice for a host, even if only for a fill-in...

I thought Ken Jennings was pretty good, but I think Mike Richards was a little better...

I seen Levar Burton on some cable show a couple weekends ago, and he was asked if he'd like to host Jeopardy-He said he'd be very happy to do it.

19. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Burton would be a great choice if Couric's not on the radar, but she was spectacularly good - a wonderful breath of life back into the show.

20. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I’m really enjoying Katie as host and I’m surprised to say that. But her warmth and connection with the contestants stands out - she does a much better job in this area than Ken or Mike. But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised- she has a great deal more experience as a broadcaster than either of them.

21. HGN2001

Not just brodcast experience, but she has great interviewing skills from years on TODAY.

22. mrjinks

I’m backing up my Katie comment with tonight’s episode. The gal DIDN’T ANSWER IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION, and Katie said “remember your phrasing” and they gave her the answer! WTF!

Watch the “L’Oréal” clue in the second half of round one and explain this to me!
    @8:15:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Paul J and Grand_Ennui like this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That's nuts-Something like that never would have flown in the before times...

I hope they don't start playing fast and loose with the rules just because the presenters are guest hosts.

24. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

It's allowed in Single Jeopardy. Not in Double. That's always been the case.

25. mrjinks

Really? I guess I was unaware. I don’t think I ever recalled Alex doing that...

Grand_Ennui likes this.