Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I just saw a headline online "Jeopardy! fans join 500 past contestants in slamming 'dangerous' Dr. oz hosting gig". Sorry the actual link is on my phone.

2. Jack White

Jack White Forum Resident

You're being paranoid. If there any medical categories or clues, the show-runners probably included them at their own initiative. I serious doubt if any of the guest hosts (other than the Jeopardy exec producer) has any influence over the clues. I wouldn't be surprised if the show includes a football clue(s) when the NFL player hosts.

MikaelaArsenault and Grand_Ennui like this.
  3. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I didn't think I was gonna like Dr. Oz as host but I actually like him better than Ken Jennings to be honest. I like that "tough guy" voice he has.

4. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I think you're being paranoid.

5. kevywevy

kevywevy Forum Resident

I don't know. The questions involving product names don't show up by chance, they are mini commercials. I wouldn't be surprised if they slip in questions that could financially benefit the guest hosts.

MikaelaArsenault and 905 like this.
  6. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

There were no product names mentioned. The answer was something like: essential oils from plants are used in this practice thought to improve mental and physical health.

What is aromatherapy?

The category was words that start with "a" and end in "y."

7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I don’t like Oz in general but he’s a good host. He moves the game along well unlike Katie Chatterbox.

MikaelaArsenault and Grand_Ennui like this.
  8. Jack White

Jack White Forum Resident

I've noticed the 'product placement' clues and guest clue givers that have something to hype. I just don't think that Dr. Oz or any of the other guest hosts have influence over the clues.

9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I thought Oz was pretty good overall... He seemed more comfortable than Katie Couric did.

10. Grand_Ennui

I'm not really looking forward to the Aaron Rodgers' hosting gig... But I'm sure the local affiliate that carries "Jeopardy" and does a fair share of Packers coverage anyway, will be make sure they plug Aaron's guesting gig.

11. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Yep - Oz has done fine. I thought Katie did well too, once she got over the nervousness of the first few shows. I’m just happy to see experienced broadcasters in there.

12. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Give the hosting duties to the producer of the show. He is more natural than Ken (and Ken overall did alright).

MikaelaArsenault and GMfan87' like this.
  13. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Why the hate for Dr. Oz?
    He's doing a good job so far.

Brodnation and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

so far they are making terrible choices for the host...Dr. OZ? really..Katie something? really? why not Dr Fauwchi? lots of laughs...
    Damn Alex is sorely missed...

Nightfly68 likes this.
  15. Michael

why not? do we need approval to not stand him...actually I didn't read the thread and I did not know people were posting negatives about him I just have my own negatives about that creepy guy...interesting.

Adam9 likes this.
  16. Michael

Tom Cruise's long lost brother!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Of course to each his own but hating him I don't see why. When I read about it outside of here people didn't likesome of his medical opinions (which many doctors differ ), and some political stances.

18. Michael

where did I use the word HATE? I don't like him....big difference.

19. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Oh, no not you just general consensus it seems. Never watched more than few mins of his show so I was wondering what the issue was.

20. Michael

if you are replying to me?..I thank you for the explanatory note...

GMfan87' likes this.
  21. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Celeb docs like Dr. Oz and Dr. Drew are still kind of tough to gst behind after being smug earlier on into the pandemic. I'd like too see Levar Burton or Neil deGrasse Tyson as host.

mrjinks, BeatleJWOL and Veggie Boy like this.
  22. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I haven't gotten to watch Dr. Oz's hosting much this week because of basketball Monday and tornado coverage yesterday. I don't think I've missed much.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Sounds like click-bait.

24. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I'm not super familiar with him either but he is not a very good fit as a game show host. Aloof and abrupt is how I would describe his demeanor. Might just be in contrast to Katie who was polar opposite. I still think Ken has been best so far, but we'll see.

25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I finally remembered to look up Oz' Health Corps that he touts (and the producers donate to) on the show. Here's the website:

Home

I was scanning it for any questionable snake oil. Most of it looks sensible and conforms to current health knowledge. But then, I found this (admittedly old) quote from Oz, before he was grilled in the Senate:

'Dr. Oz, stated, “We need to develop a Smart Patient model to integrate complementary and alternative medical approaches with conventional medical treatments and encourage Americans to assume more personal responsibility in safeguarding their health. I favor a health system that promotes a culture of wellness with access to healthful foods for the population at large.”' That makes me worry.