Jeopardy! Who is the GOAT?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daca, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree. Hosting a game show is a very different skill set from being a successful contestant. Trebek obviously is not there because he knows all the answers. He's there because he is likable and non-threatening and projects a relaxed, friendly demeanor that people feel comfortable with. It seems pretty unlikely to me that the producers would hire someone with zero hosting experience to take over.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. 905 and MPLRecords like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bump?????????????

4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

No. The tournament will be over after first contestant wins 3 nights

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat:

6. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation Thread Starter

My apologies, this “tournament” isn’t fixed, James is throwing this game. In no reality would Holzhauer not go all in DOWN against an opponent. Much less said opponent being Ken Jennings.

I haven’t seen a tank job like this since the Knicks threw their season to draft Patrick Ewing in 1985.

7. daca

Burn! On Rutter! “Brad’s score is still on the board!” Gotta love that!

Suck it Brad!

Veggie Boy likes this.
  8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Thw reason why Jennings is mentioned as a replacement is that he's very good as an entertainer. he's been on countless TV show and podcasts (hundreds) and he's very funny, quick, charming, and organized.

He has the skills necessary to be the host - it wasn't a random pick of "that guy is good!"

He'd have to test for sire - he might know too much or be too chatty to replace Alex.

9. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Look, if I could get "Iago" just shouting it at my TV...
    I don't buy Holzhauer getting it wrong. Something's up. Still, congratulations to future Jepoardy host Ken Jennings.

10. daca

Who again said Brad Rutter?

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

[​IMG]

11. daca

Exactly my point in your spoiler. You know James was studying a ton of Shakespeare in ‘prep’ for this “tournament.”

guy incognito and MPLRecords like this.
  12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For reference, what are the ages of those three?

13. daca

Holzhauer - 36
    Jennings - 45
    Crutter - 41

14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Alex claiming that this would be the last time those three compete against each other in Jeopardy means what?

1) One of them retires
    2) One of them hosts
    3) One of them won't be asked back
    4) Jeopardy will be cancelled
    5) Jeopardy changes its name
    6) Jeopardy has a no exact rematch policy

15. I'm not saying the contest was rigged but the producers badly wanted Jennings to win it all. The repeated Shakespeare questions and categories, one of Jennings' best knowledge areas, is heavily suspect.

James had terrible luck with the Double Jeopardies. If I didn't know better, Brad only seemed to be there to prevent James from getting the Daily Doubles. Brad clearly didn't prep at all for this contest, he was dazed and confused from the beginning to the very end.

guy incognito and daca like this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It was fun. I enjoyed watching and wished it went another round. It did feel a bit like it was an audition for the next host. I was rooting for James to win the game but he’d make an awful host. I feel Brad would be the best one at being the host but Jennings is more known and respected. I give Jennings credit for adapting to James style of playing. And I give James credit for coming up with a winning strategy.

It would be interesting to see a two contestant version of the game from time to time.

daca likes this.
  17. daca

Get out of my head! :D Absolutely agree with your post.

The number of DD hit by Rutter was ridiculous compared to the number of questions he correctly gave. I’m not running the numbers, but it has to be the highest DD/Correct Q’s ratio in Jeopardy! tournament history. A complete farce.

I was rooting for James, or Ken. Either would have been fine. And I agree, James is not a game show host, nor do I think he will ever want to be one.

Brad’s condescending attitude would wear on people. If he were the host, my days of watching J! Would end.

Jennings is much more likable and would have a much higher Q score than B.S. (Edit: B.R.)

905 likes this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

WRT to Alex's comment that it might be the last time the three play each other --- the one common thread tying them together is Alex. He's already indicated he won't be hosting the show much longer. He's the one with the long history with all three. Once Alex leaves, having the three play each other with a different host wouldn't be the same. I hope Alex was really talking about HIM hosting the three of them. Guess we will find out eventually.

WRT Shakespeare -- it's never been a secret that subject is a favorite of Jeopardy. They all had an opportunity to prepare. All of you complaining about that -- really sounds like sour grapes.

WRT to Ken being host. He said he has a comfortable life doing what he loves (writing), in Seattle. Not sure why he'd want to uproot that to be host of a show that is filmed in L.A. area.

OldSoul likes this.
  19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Even when James found the DDs, he didn't get them all. Consider games 5/6, which I think had two questions showed the momentum for the whole tournament changing. First was Ken getting "Nullification" in DJ in game 5, then James missing the easy "Garnet" DD during the first round of game 6. Even I knew that one! You can't been the greatest of all-time and not know the school colors of Florida State ('diamond' as a school color?)

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

To be fair, Trebek has had a somewhat condescending attitude at times on the show. He's better now, but he used to have an air about him and would be a bit belittling to contestants that got an answer wrong. Like, "what? you didn't know that?" all the while he has the answer right in front of him.

Personally, none of these contestants would make good game show hosts. I mean, sure, they could probably grow into it (except, perhaps, Holzhauer), but it takes a certain panache and ease with being on television to be a host and these guys are game show contestants, not hosts.

21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I loved the Albums category on the last night, with the highest point answer being the band who released the album Village Green Preservation Society. I shouted “Kinks!!!” to the wonder of much younger people in my living room.

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

He's much better now than he was 20+ years ago, but, yes, I used to find Alex downright insufferable.

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I don't understand why people think this was "rigged" or when James lost in his run he "threw the game."

Just because it didn't go how you'd like, or people had "bad game" doesn't remotely mean it's "rigged."

I think it's your "sports mind" see patterns that don't exist - I've heard this from people who watch football, baseball , etc.

This isn't a reality show - this is a game where their are big financial payouts for winning - I can't see why anyone would 'throw a game."

(Unless they held Jame's parents hostage - and if that's the case then I will eat my hat.)

czeskleba, OldSoul and Jim Pattison like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Does anyone who won last night?

25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Nobody who bet on Rutter, that's for sure.

daca likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.