Jeremy Renner seriously injured in accident 1/1/23

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm just saying a guy worth $80 million dollars should have help doing things like this. On movie sets, there are actual rules (for insurance) that forbid the stars and other actors from performing their own stunts or doing anything dangerous. The reason is if they're injured, it shuts down the entire production, which means nobody gets paid and the movie won't get finished on time. If you're wealthy -- and I would call $80 milion "wealthy" -- have two or three guys around you to help and pitch in so that... oh, I dunno... you don't get run over by a snowplow or something.

Being active doesn't mean putting yourself in danger. Huge difference. I know, we all take risks just stepping off the curb, in the event a bus is about to run us over, but there are reasonable precautions we can take. Being out in severe weather and driving a snowplow alone doesn't strike me as being active or getting exercise... it's more like risky activity. It's a question of common sense and having good judgement.

That's totally fine. But none of those things are dangerous. If he had an 80-foot yacht, I bet he had help maintaining it and keeping it going. My point is that it's possible to be active and healthy and yet not risk your life.

MikaelaArsenault and g.z. like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Driving to work on the 101 can be dangerous too. So can mowing your lawn or swimming in your pool. Being active and occasionally doing things you might consider as slightly dangerous is better and healthier than being a couch potato or spending too much time on this forum (the latter of which I am guilty of as well, Lol). I just think you are slightly overreacting to the situation. Some people have heart attacks trying to shovel snow from their drive ways. I would call this a fluke accident. He was not hurt while operating the snowplow, but after he got out of it and tried to re-enter it when it started to move without him. Same thing has happened with people and their automobiles I am sure.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You just don't get it. What happened to Jeremy Renner was an accident. Operating a snow cat like he was is as safe as doing many things with large machines. He could have operated that machine for years with no injuries. Ever heard of people getting hurt around their homes doing simple chores? It happens all the time.

Accidents happen... HELLO!

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Nerd alert: The original Nick Fury had a diluted version of the super soldier serum which gave him an extended life span. That’s why he was still super fit in the 1980s books even though he was a WWII veteran.

But I agree that the MCU version is apparently power free.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  6. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

The key issue is that the Snowcat started to move when he was off the vehicle which should never happen. Before you leave the cab of any machine, the transmission should be in neutral and the equivalent of a parking brake should be securely engaged. Especially in this outfit because it looks like you have to get on the track to enter the cab. Now if you see your $80,000 machine start to move without you in it, the natural impulse would be to try to get in the cab and stop it but you should never get on or near to a moving cleat track. Easy for me to say but I've almost made some stupid decisions around machinery that could have cost me a limb or two.

MikaelaArsenault, RSteven and Vidiot like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

See, if Renner had hired a guy, that guy would have yelled, "no! Don't get in a moving truck!"

Naaaa, just making an observation that if you don't have to be out in cold weather operating heavy machinery, maybe hire people who actually know how to do that and get some help. Again: $80,000,000 in the bank.

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Jeremy Renner is fortunate he didn't end up like (the late) Anton Yelchin. Yelchin was run over by his own vehicle in late 2016, I believe.

Simon A, RSteven and vince like this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I,too, made the comparison...Even sadder that he was so young.

64FALCON likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow :rolleyes:! How many times do you think those in this thread need to be reminded that Jeremy Renner is worth... wait... hold on... let me guess... ahhhh... it's right on the tip of my tongue... ohhhhhhh... would it be $80,000,000? Talk about beating the proverbially dead horse!

Kind of sad that you've had to make the same "observation" multiple times. Do we have maybe 10-20 more of the same observation to look forward to? Maybe you think repeating the same observation over and over will change the way people look at this. Good luck with that! If you keep it up Jeremy will be fully recovered and out living life to the fullest not in fear of the boogey man just waiting around the corner ;).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  11. minglewood

minglewood Life is A Carnival

Ok, now that we know all of the Rich & Gorey heroic details of a man trying to save a machine from it's untimely demise, who or what did stop the Snowcat from continuing it's out-of-control freewheeling rampage?

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

As I recall his car rolled forward and he was pinned against a gate or wall.

MikaelaArsenault and 64FALCON like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

According to the reports I read, it fell over when the snow and ground collapsed. That'll generally stop even a big truck.

NBC News reported he tried to climb inside the truck to stop it from moving, but lost control and it turned over on top of him, with the door open.

MikaelaArsenault and minglewood like this.
  14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

From wikipedia:

After Yelchin failed to arrive at a rehearsal, he was found by friends after midnight on June 19, 2016, pinned between his Jeep Grand Cherokeeand a brick pillar gate post outside his house in Studio City, Los Angeles, the victim of what was described as a "freak accident".[35][36] As Yelchin got out of his car and went to check his locked gate and mail, the vehicle apparently rolled back down his driveway, which was on a steep incline, and trapped him against the pillar and a security fence. Yelchin was pronounced dead at the scene at the age of 27;[37] the Los Angeles County Coroner's office identified the cause of death as "blunt traumatic asphyxia" and stated that there were "no obvious suspicious circumstances involved".[38][39]

15. CelebrityNetWorth is a terrible site for financially accurate information.

But agree with others - not everyone likes to sit on the couch and pay others to do everything for them. I could afford to hire someone to plant my vegetable garden each year but I’d never do that - I enjoy being outside, getting fresh air, physically working and setting up the garden. Could I accidentally hurt myself by falling/tripping or cut myself with a tool? Sure. But you gotta live your life.

And if I could afford a snow plow like Renner has (as well as having a place to store it!) I’d be out there using it too - looks like a fun machine to operate!

No offense intended to anyone who wraps their home in bubble wrap and takes zero risk.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

so money dictates what you do with your life then? i guess someone with no money in the bank is supposed to do all the "hard work" under your logic.

17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I wouldn’t want to pay someone 100k/year to do stuff I’m perfectly capable of doing by myself either. An accident like this could have just as easily have happened to an employee. The term “professional” insinuates that they have more experience than you. All it really means is that they take money to perform a service.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

All of the accounts of the accident that I've seen and read including NBC News all say the snow cat started rolling and Jeremy Renner tried to get into the cab and then got run over by the track. None of those reports are saying that the snow cat "fell over" or "turned over" due to the snow and ground collapsing. The video of local sheriffs news conference on NBC News mentions nothing about that.

Another thought comes to mind of people of means having all their chores and tasks done by others. I've seen reports of many professional athletes over the years lose their fortunes due to surrounding themselves with groups of friends and hangers on. These people being there to do the most basic of tasks but taking in a nice pay check. I see this as another reason to do many of the tasks that are within reason for those that are comfortable doing them.

19. minglewood

minglewood Life is A Carnival

The "fell/turned over comment" was in response to my query as to how the Snowcat, came to a stop, after Mr. Renner's failed attempt to shut the machine down/off. The Snowcat started rolling, rescue attempt of machine failed, what eventually brought the Snowcat to a dead stop?

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The claim of the snow cat having "fell over" or "turned over" from all the reports I've seen or read are not true. My guess is that the snow cat eventually came to a stop on its own. To quote the sheriff from his news conference he states a witness reports the snow cat "came to rest in a pile of snow".

21. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

Actually, it's more of a tractor than a truck. If it started rolling downhill and the transmission was disengaged, it would have hit deep snow and just stopped. If it was under power, then it could have gotten sideways on a steep embankment and, even with the front blade providing some stability, it could have rolled over.

I don't blame Renner, though. He was clearing a road for both himself and his neighbors and had probably done it in the past. He made a split second decision that turned out badly. And as one poster stated upthread, if there had been a hard surface under him instead of snow, he wouldn't be in a hospital now. He'd be in the morgue.

Ps While I was typing, Bill Mac came up with actually happened.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how about we let Jeremy decide how he wants to live his life..

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

If someone wants to see how enormous one of those 'snow cats' are, watch the movie "Cold Pursuit".

MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The sad thing about Anton Yelchin -- which not a lot of people reported -- was that it took him 15-20 minutes to die, because he was pinned in such a way that he couldn't get the cell phone out of his pocket to call for help. Awful, terrible way to go.

25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Get well soon Jeremy.

One of my favourite characters from the MCU along with Natasha.
    Their final scenes together on Vormir(?) were probably my favourite few minutes of Endgame.
    Still tears me up slightly after many viewings.
    I just have a preference for hero's without super powers or hi-tech armour.