Jerry Butler/Betty Everett - Let It Be Me - 2 Versions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin In Choconut Center, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator Thread Starter

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with this question. In 1964, Jerry Butler and Betty Everett recorded the song "Let It Be Me". A search of the usual sites (Amazon, ITunes and so forth) reveals the existence of two versions. The first is a very narrow stereo mix and is, I think, the original recording. There's also a mono mix that's listed as a re-recording, which sounds like it could just be a mono mix of the original. Or if indeed a re-recording, it comes quite close to sounding like the original.

So, my question is this. Is the second version indeed a re-recording, and if so, from what year? Or is it an alternate take from the original 1964 sessions?

I know this might be hard to nail down, and if we can't do that, no worries. I'd just like to know as much about this as possible.

2. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Have you got links to any sound samples?

3. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator Thread Starter

I think I've figured this out on my own. What we have here is, I think, three versions. Mono single version which is on the "The Best Of Jerry Butler" CD that Rhino issued in 1987. A seller on Discogs confirmed that the track on that is mono, and I bought the CD from that seller for a reasonable price. Second version seems to be the same recording, but with a stereo mix. And the "re-recording" does appear to be just that. It's very close to the first version but there are noticeable differences. The vocals aren't quite as clear, sounding a bit muddy compared to the original.

4. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Besides the Rhino Best of Jerry Butler, what albums/compilations are you using as sources for your comments?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.