Jerry GARCIA (1972 Jerry Garcia album) Song by Song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 12, 2021.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes Hunter had Janis in mind when he wrote the lyrics.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Side One and Two is one of the the all-time greats. :thumbsup:

sbeaupre, Fillmore West, SJR and 3 others like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

I agree. If I had to choose though, I think I would say Side One.
    Not by a lot though. :D

SJR likes this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Thankfully, we don't have to choose (unless, I suppose, some maniac put a gun to our head and forced us to choose one side over the other.)

I view the whole album as a journey, a song cycle, a complete movie-like "theater of the mind" experience. To me, it's all of a piece.

5. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

This is my absolute favorite era of the Dead's songwriting: the period after American Beauty and before Wake Of The Flood, encompassing the originals on Skull And Roses & Europe '72, along with the Garcia LP & Bob Weir's Ace (which included Bobby's first collaborations with John Perry Barlow). So many great great songs that proved to be so resilient over the years.

6. Safeway 2

Safeway 2 Forum Resident

Whoa Bear almost missed this thread. Always loved this disc. For me the best of the many Dead side projects. As mentioned
    before the entire work comes accross as a song cycle each tune intertwining with the next. Choice stuff!

Rose River Bear, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yes, an oversight on my part. But, side one has four absolutely great “songs”. That’s where I was coming from. I love the instrumental noodling on side two, and of course, as @notesofachord mentioned, The Wheel.

Rose River Bear and bzfgt like this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Alpine ‘89 is a killer version

The MEZ, linklinc and Rose River Bear like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Same. One of the songs that pulled me in, big time, when I was first discovering the Dead. Now I'm struggling to remember the first version I heard (I'm pretty sure it wasn't the studio version).

Rose River Bear likes this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Reckoning?

uzn007 likes this.
  11. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Fun fact - Jerry got a solo record deal from WB so he could get a down payment on a house he wanted to buy. What a sellout! :nyah:

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Actually no, all versions since 1972 have been in E.

ianuaditis, Rose River Bear and bzfgt like this.
  13. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

I tend to separate the songs of the whole 71/72 period into two custom "albums":

THUNDER AND LIGHTNING (1971)

Bertha (Skull and Roses)
    Playing in the Band (Skull and Roses)
    Mr. Charlie (Europe '72)
    Sugaree (Garcia)
    Loser (Garcia)
    -
    Deal (Garcia)
    Bird Song (Garcia)
    Wharf Rat (Skull and Roses)
    Greatest Story Ever Told (Ace)
    The Wheel (Garcia)

All songs written or debuted live before July 1971. Probably my favourite Grateful Dead album! :D

RAMBLING ROSE (1972)

Jack Straw (Europe '72)
    He's Gone (Europe '72)
    Chinatown Shuffle (Lyceum, 5/26/72)
    Ramble On Rose (Europe '72)
    -
    Brown Eyed Women (Europe '72)
    Comes a Time (Hundred Year Hall)
    Tennessee Jed (Europe '72)
    One More Saturday Night (Europe '72)

All songs written or debuted live after July 1971. All the Weir/Barlow songs are kept for Bobby's solo album :D

14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just checked out a couple, including 10-31-80 and the Without a net version, both in E.

They changed the riff a bit, was that before 72 or only in 80?

Rose River Bear and bzfgt like this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

All the songs on this album are great, though I think only To Lay Me Down equals or surpasses the best live versions. There is some worthwhile instrumental stuff on side 2 but also some "I'll have what he's smoking" moments to be sure.

I always see this album and Ace as kind of paired, but if forced to choose would go with Ace - which has one of the Dead's best ever studio performances on Playing In The Band.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

We included Bird Song as one of three nods to the GD at a Janis tribute show we did in 2017. We also included Lovelight (which she sang with the GD twice) and the GD arrangement of Bobby McGee (which the GD did first - and I believe Bob or Jerry showed Janis the song on the Festival Express tour).

Don't think I will share our version of Bird Song as it was more than a little rough sounding :shh:

trd and Fillmore West like this.
  17. bzfgt

Only in 80, although I think both riffs are in the studio version, and in any case there are live versions from 1971 where they play both riffs (one in the intro, one during the verse, I think). Then he settles on the one, then when they bring it back he goes with the other.

ianuaditis, uzn007 and adamos like this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Great to see you here. Someone requested it so I went for it.

19. Rose River Bear

Sugaree (Garcia, Hunter)

Opens with some alternating chords of B and E. Awesome R and B comp chords in the rhythm. Jerry is a fine player in the R and B style with sharp percussive chords. The verse kicks off and Jerry plays great fills in call and response style to his vocal. A fine backbeat. At :45 the arrangement fills in for the awesome pre-chorus. Starts with minor chords and then rises and what a rise…..chiming reverse arpeggio triplets from Jerry that lead to an almost classical romantic like peak. Cool inversions on the top three strings. The chorus follows and has just a hint of blues due to the Mixolydian mode…..one of Jerry’s favorite modes to use. The verse returns at 1:40 after a short transition and the pre-chorus and chorus follow. Another short transition at 2:45 with some bluesy bends from J. The verse, pre-chorus and chorus follow again. Jerry plays fine understated bass throughout. Another short transition at 4:00 and the final verse enters and Jerry sings in ballad style. The final pre-chorus and chorus follows. At 5:00 the chorus gets repeated, and the song builds. Jerry variates the melody a little. At 5:40 the turnaround gets extended and comes to a stop with Jerry’s vocal trailing off in echo.

Brilliantly simple R and B based song from Garcia. A Dead staple in concert. Fantastic guitar work. I am not sure what effects if any were used on Jerry’s guitar, but his tone is killer on the song. IMO one of Jerry’s best songs. The music fits the lyrics perfectly.

trd, adamos, SJR and 3 others like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

SUGAREE
    Lyrics By:
    Robert Hunter
    Music By:
    Jerry Garcia
    When they come to take you down
    When they bring that wagon round
    When they come to call on you
    And drag your poor body down

Just one thing I ask of you
    Just one thing for me
    Please forget you knew my name
    My darling, Sugaree

Shake it, shake it, Sugaree
    Just don't tell them that you know me
    Shake it, shake it, Sugaree
    Just don't tell them that you know me

You thought you was the cool fool
    And never would do no wrong
    You had everything sewed up tight
    How come you lay awake all night long

Well in spite of all you gained
    You still have to stand out in the pouring rain
    One last voice is calling you
    And I guess it's time you go

Well shake it up now, Sugaree
    I'll meet you at the jubilee
    And if that jubilee don't come
    Maybe I'll meet you on the run

From Dead.net

bzfgt likes this.
  21. bzfgt

One of the first things that caused me to go from loving the Dead to really loving the Dead. I thought this song was boring when I first heard it (on Steal Your Face) but then it sank in...it revolutionized the way I thought of an effective melody. I was about 15 and had been a Beatles freak since I was 4, and that had been starting to pall for a while. The more austere sense of melody here really floored me with how honest and natural it sounded, and eventually I came to prefer Hunter/Garcia to Lennon and McCartney. It was another couple years I think before I heard this studio version...

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Glad to see this thread!

I love this album so much I recently spent a sick amount on a sealed copy of the 2014 RSD white pressing mastered by Kevin Gray.

[​IMG]

[image cribbed from the Listening To On Vinyl thread]

Jack_Straw, jmadad, wrat and 7 others like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

Man that's awesome looking and must sound great.

Jack_Straw, SJR and Stone Turntable like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

I notice that at :45 Jerry plays the B chord with his little finger. One technique I never adopted. I use the ring finger for that one.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  25. Rose River Bear

Interesting. My assumption would be by that time he must have been loaded with dough. Not always the case when it comes to musicians and record deals.

Smokin Chains likes this.