Jessie Colin Young/Youngbloods recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greg Carrier, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Going off on a bit of a tangent, is anyone familiar with jazz pianist Kenny Gill who made on album on the Youngbloods' Raccoon label? The album was called was called What Was, What Is, What Will Be, and is an excellent progressive jazz album consisting of 4 long exploratory pieces by Kenny and his band. Although Kenny was a pianist, his primary influence was John Coltrane. The only one of his band members I've heard of since is saxophonist Bob Berg. Kenny also appeared on a strange jam album called Crab Tunes/Noggins which also featured Banana and Joe Bauer of the Youngbloods. After that, Kenny seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Does anyone know what became of him?

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Thanks for the heads up...will check him out.

Folknik likes this.
  3. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

That's one of those songs I have to play again. Once just isn't enough!

trumpet sounds likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

new jesse colin young album "dreamer' tomorrow if i'm not mistaken.

6. lemonade kid

That is what Bull Moose is telling me!
    They actually show it as available today ("out of stock? but should ship within one week"). My phone is off; I'll see if there is a message that mine is in!

Jesse: “It’s been a while since I’ve spoken out,” says Young, whose last solo album was 2006’s Celtic Mambo, “but I feel as if this is the best record I’ve ever made. There’s love songs that really get to the heart of what I’m feeling and have lived through, and on the political songs I’m looking at the world and going, ‘How did everything come out this way?’ The election of 2016 and everything that’s happened since really affected my writing, probably more so than anything in the ‘60s or ‘70s.”

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Was the Japanese Blue-spec CD of the self-titled Youngbloods the only place to get the mono mix of Get Together on CD?

8. lemonade kid

Likely. Get Jesse's first solo "Soul Of A City Boy"...my original Capitol mono is faultless. It was never released in stereo...still hasn't.

9. I found this facebook listing for a Kenny Gill who is a jazz pianist in Detroit:

Kenny Gill

I can't tell from the picture on the sleeve whether it is the same person.

[​IMG]

Folknik likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Elephant Mountain is probably in my top 20 albums of all time. One of those spontaneous gems wherein the band was in the right time and mental space. Outside of 'Darkness' and 'Sunlight' there may not be any great songs, just a bunch of good to very good ones that cumulatively belong together. And the epic 12 second "Turn it Over".

That seemed to be their apogee however

Craig and Frank Discussion like this.
  11. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

A masterpiece absolutely love it

finsaah and Frank Discussion like this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I just messaged him. If he gets back to me, we'll know soon whether he is or isn't the same Kenny Gill. Thanks.

Critter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.