Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Anyone else hear this tick? Was going to read the linked thread but the site is down this morning.

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

All confirmed glitches on Aqualung 40th: Steven Wilson also heard that tick...plus.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ial-edition-part3.271261/page-12#post-8442139

I mentioned the glitches to Steven Wilson at QQ.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...DTS-Dolby-DVD)&p=164888&viewfull=1#post164888
    Aqualung 40th:
    Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and Blu-ray:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
    Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
    My God glitch - At about 27:45
    Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on Blu-ray:

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is Steven Wilson's response: 11-15-2012

Thank you for this. I just listened. The 3 glitches on the 5.1 mix are annoying, though perhaps because I'm a seasoned vinyl listener, and they remind me of vinyl ticks which I'm so used to, they don't annoy me as much as the TAAB glitches - still no excuse of course. The repeating section at the end of Cross Eyed Mary is just the very tail end of the reverberating final chord, and only heard at significant volume. Though again that's not very good and I'm not happy that it happened.

The glitches on the original stereo transfer are indeed horrible.

I will mention to EMI and Ian these issues, I very much doubt they are aware of them.

Steven Wilson

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Plan9 likes this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

They must not bother me as I've never noticed the 20 or 30 times I've played it so far.

5. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

+1, and I am usually quite picky (at least if you ask my wife :cool:)

6. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I really like the quad version of the album. Especially side 2. The vocals on side 2 don't sound rough, squeely or overbearing on the quad. That's the main problem i had with side 2 and the quad album fixes this. Hymn 43(quad) is one of my fave songs on the album now but the album version is probably in the bottom 3 songs on the album, mainly due to the vocals. Side 2 does have the more simpler/repetitive and less enjoyable compositions though eg My god, Hymn 43, but the quads of these also come up better. Hymn 43 is a complete different version with a lot more piano and bass and less guitar which gives it that prog feel rather than the hard rock sounding version on the original album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.