Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Perhaps a should give it another spin. It's been a few years since I watched it last. At the time I remember thinking that Ian Anderson was just a shadow of his former self. It's also been lost in the over hundred other BD concerts acquired since.

2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I will be very interested in the 5.1 mix of Aqualung. I've had the 4.0 mix from the '70s and it is quite nice (CD-4 Quadradisc Lp), as is War Child, which would be nice for them to remaster as well. I'd love to compare the two formats. Thick as a Brick, AFAIK, was never released in Quadraphonic, so that will be a revelation.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Not sure about DVD-A "miserable fail" since there's an ongoing "King Crimson in surround" project using this media. And it would be quite ridiculous to switch from DVD-A to Blu-Ray in the middle of the road, both concept- and cost-wise.

Regarding JT 5.1: I'll definitely buy these on DVD-A(V) but I won't buy a dedicated blu-ray player to play a couple of albums. I'm a classical/jazz/prog man, not a movie geek, and this means owning a decent universal player and hunting down a lot of SACDs and DVD-As, which are still being produced for this specific market. :shrug: :frog:

4. What market results are you following that indicate DVD-A is anything other than a miserable failure in terms of market? As far as I know, no major label releases anything on DVD-A now. I think the King Crimson releases would have done much better on Blu-ray but if Jethro Tull's label is happy with 5,000 or so in sales for each release, then DVD-A is a good choice. The King Crimson, and Porcupine Tree releases for that matter, are pretty far out of the mainstream. I would like to see the sales numbers but anything more than average of 5,000 each would surprise me. The biggest of the bunch may have hit 10,000 but I suspect the numbers are so small, there will never be any mention by anybody involved.

Blu-ray is in about 20% of US households now and surround setup numbers have grown with Blu-ray as the source and very few Blu-ray players play DVD-A. I would think even small labels can do some simple market research and come to an obvious conclusion. We can't know yet how well Blu-ray will do but we can look at the last 9 years of DVD-A sales and know what not to do.

5. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

Oh, no, ignore Anderson and concentrate on Martin Barre's guitar playing, the real star here. Show it off to every guitar player that you know.
    Hit & miss - Ian Anderson's vocal has been missing in action since the mid '80's.

6. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I am buying the KC titles. I have the first five. The only reason I have them on DVD-A is that there is no BD available for them and I want them all. I don't look upon BD or DVD-A or SACD as switching. I play them all on my system so in that way I am not limiting myself. Still BD is the only format at this point in time that stands a chance of keeping MC music alive. I have over 150 concerts on BD, so having a BD player for me for music makes perfect sense. The movies are icing on the cake.

7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I'm afraid that the multitracks are missing for both Stand Up and Benefit. Neither the Remixes album from the 25th years box set or Stand Up Deluxe Edition had nothing remixed from the original multitracks from those sessions.

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Please speak for yourself, man. :wave: Because your rough market estimations are based on some obvious ignorance and, to be honest, made me laugh almost hysterically. Even if you haven't heard about the crisis (be blessed in this case), you should have heard about compatibility and target groups.

Regarding the first term - it's pretty dumb that the blu-ray players you mentioned don't do DVD-A. OTOH, I'm aware of those that can do both DVD-A and SACD. As well as of those US households who have in their collections hundreds or even thousands of mostly classical SACD/DVD-A titles, which did cost them a fortune. And those collectors usually scratch their heads when somebody tells them that "blu-ray is all you need". Need for what? For playing some dozen of music-only blu-rays and ditching their whole old collections? IMHO, such situation demands some attention from the industry, otherwise you may end with a total lack of public interest as well as growing grey market "alternatives".

Personally, I might buy a blu-ray player at some point - perhaps later this year or next. But it will be definitely bought together with at least 42" LCD or cheap plasma (which will cost me about 2.5 monthly pensions), because, in theory, I like the idea of re-watching some truly creme-de-la-creme movies in best quality. But do I need a plasma for satisfying my purely classical (or, for that matter, JT) appetites? I don't think so. Moreover, compared to SACD/DVD-A, blu-ray doesn't bring anything new to the table sound-wise.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm with you on this. I got an Oppo Blu Ray player that plays all formats, so I'm covered, but it's not like everyone's going to throw away their old SACD/DVD-A collections for another new format that may or may not pan out. I'm quite happy with some of my existing 5.1 mixes, most notably those King Crimson reissues, which are nothing short of revelatory. Thus far, I haven't seen all that many Blu Ray music releases that have me drooling. I was intrigued by the Neil Young set, but at $300 that's just ridiculous.

10. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised that on a music forum people aren't embracing the BD format for it's capability to provide a superior concert experience at home. Mainly because of the lossless 24 bit audio. The HD video is gravy. And there are many rock, classical and jazz BD based concerts to choose from at this point. The ability to play music-only blu-rays is only part of it. As I said, I play them all. I have 600 SACD's and DVD-Audio discs. No need to replace them. The BR capability is added to the SACD/DVD-Audio capability.

Also, a 42" TV is pretty small at this point. Soon it will be hard no doubt to find something that small.

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

:cheers: :righton:

12. What are your well informed numbers to make my numbers look ignorant? I can provide links to the 20% of US homes having Blu-ray players but I will assume you think DVD-A has done better than I do. I sure can't find any evidence of that and if you know of any major label releasing DVD-A now, go ahead and point that out as well. Sony has never made a DVD-A player so it is absolutely unreasonable to expect the company to start now but maybe again that is my ignorance for not believing they should. I do know with the PS3, Sony has well over 50% of Blu-ray players in service. The fact so few other companies make DVD-A players now, with or without Blu-ray, should make it clear the manufacturers realize it is a very tiny niche market.

13. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Okay now I am veering way off topic but I had an Oppo 980. I still have it to play SACD and DVD-Audio over HDMI. When I added BD I just bought a Sony player and hooked it in with another HDMI cable to my AVR. Both it and the BD's I play in it were net new additions to the equation. The playing of SACD and DVD-Audio remained the same. So it's an add/expansion of capabilities to me, not a replacement. I don't get this thought process that the old formats are being replaced. They are still there and are still being used and in fact being added to with the KC releases etc.

14. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Awesome news: surround + great music, not an easy combination to find, even when sacd and dvd-audio seemed to have a future.

As far as format? How about a package including a Blu-ray AND a dvd-audio, or dvd-video with hi-bitrate DTS?* Blu-ray for the people that own those players connected to a 5.1 system; and since a disc using the dvd format is so cheap to manufacture these days, include one of those for all those people - hundreds of thousands (millions?) I'm sure just here in the States - that own dvd-based 5.1 systems out there that can access a dvd-audio disc's Dolby or DTS track. And don't forget all those Acuras, GM and other cars that have factory-installed dvd-audio systems since @2004. Many people listen - and I mean listen, not just use it to fill in the background - to much of their music while driving - it's been mentioned many times on this forum's hardware section that few non-audio hobbyists listen to music at home anymore.

* I've seen many movies released this way

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Really? But the 24-bit audio had been around for decade or so before the matrix blu-ray "revolutions". It was on those DVD-As and SACDs, so why this BD logo has got all this mystical power possessing human brains (is it smarter? sexier? more readable or what?) is beyond me. But, at least, I'm happy that you are equipped with a universal player and not going to replace the older 24-bit coasters with the newer ones. ;)

(As for the better concert experience brought to us by holy blu-rays: first, as a classical lover, I easily prefer truly classical mono performances to something questionable that simply bears a 7.1 MCH mark, and second, as a rock lover, the truest live experience for me exists only at a real concert hall. Anything else is only a replica or bonus. And do I need a 7.1 set-up that accentuates - in 24 bits! - every close or distant cough behind me? I'll choose the wall of sound in the first row at a small club any day, although it's usually far from that whole surround thingy.)

:biglaugh: If you look at a globe, my country is very small too. And the biggest room in my flat is less than 4x4 m (and the room for future plasma is much smaller - there will be 2-2.5 m distance at best between our eyes and the screen, which is optimal, AFAIK).

Moreover, my 60+ mom and dad live in that room, so the whole point of having a 7.1 hi-rez system instead of a 5.1 or even a 2.0 one is... hmm... slightly beyond their comprehension (BTW, my mom completely lost hearing in her right ear). :laugh:

C'est la vie, my dear friends. :wave: To each their own, I'm not against JT on BD, I'm against ignorance. The industry can easily make 2, 3, etc. versions of the same product, so let it be.

16. Flatso

Flatso Forum Resident

There have been a handful of rock releases in SACD and DVD-A in recent years- Rush being a recent one. However I thought Ian had said the recording itself of the 'Lung is not that well done that is why the remasters sound so bad...how can you get blood from a stone?

17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Great news, and I will definitely buy it. I am wondering if this is to be a real 5.1 mix or something goosed from the old quadraphonic master.
    Having read the quote from the linked article, I don't see where Ian actually says there will be a 5.1 mix of "Thick As A Brick", although that is probably the best Tull album for an active 5.1 mix, and I certainly hope it comes out as such.

18. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

:cheers: I agree with all the above.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Put down the brandy snifter, loosen the smoking jacket, now slap yourself. :laugh: In what world is a 42" television screen " pretty small " ???? I've got a 32", and I love it, as does my family. Jeez...:shake:

Careful when you drive through one of " those " neighborhoods too...

20. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

See you at the store!! :righton:

21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Exactly my point of view. :cheers:

As for "pure statistics", it's pretty sad that my whole point wasn't taken by some of the posters in this - may I remind you - purely listening thread. After all, we are talking JT albums, not films here.

So, I can only point to these two sites containing some pure facts about SACDs and DVD-As (again, they mostly contain equivalents of LP/CD albums from different eras, be it studio or live, as opposed to modern concert film productions mostly found in the BD domain):

SACD

DVD-A

If those statistics can't describe the whole picture, nothing can't. But if you, the truly truest BD aficionados, will be able to show me some competing numbers regarding existing BD releases, I promise you to put a BD player on my wish-list immediately. But please note that I still mean music-only releases (i.e. "albums"), classical or not. I put it straight: if I want to listen to the locomotive breath, I don't need a corresponding 3D picture with blinding headlights from a third party.

22. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I try to avoid those neighborhoods totally.

My TV is 42" as well. I bought it 3 years ago. It was pretty much the largest size at the time. I think there may have been a 46" set at the time. All I am saying is that TV's are coming down in cost and getting larger for a given pricepoint. Smaller sizes will become less common and harder to find as a result. I paid $1400 for mine. For that same money now I think I could get
    55" likely. Maybe larger. To me at this point a 42" TV is pretty much at the bottom end of what is available out there.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, now that I know you got screwed over 10", I feel much better. I paid $499.00 for my 32" 3 years ago.

And not shopping for one for 3 years, you may be right...which then makes the whole damn country a bunch of spoiled brats (in this economy ??? )...so the poor slobs still watching a square 26" television is just...a poor slob.

24. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Well it's all music to me whether it is a concert or a music only disc. I really don't care.

May I ask,

Do you have a surround system?
    If so do you have a TV hooked up to it?
    If so why don't you have a BD player? They are pretty cheap at this point in time.

25. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Yes, a larger set was more back then. 10" also makes quite a bit of difference in viewing. I replaced a 32" set with the 42" set. Huge difference.

Was this 32" a plasma set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.