Jethro Tull - A (A La Mode edition) (3 CD / 3 DVD) - Steven Wilson remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Jan 27, 2021.

1. TullPress

TullPress Forum Resident

It can't be any more controversial than Don Airey's keyboard solo on the Crest of a Knave tour. The Edinburgh Playhouse crowd actually started booing. Only other time I've seen anything similar was when Spinal Tap did 'Jazz Odyssey'. Very similar vibe.

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

To me (maybe just me) Coruisk is the long bridge from Stormwatch and Cheerio of course is the short bridge to Broadsword
    Your opinons will be interesting.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Kim Olesen likes this.
  3. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Was that the sound effects nightmare as intro to Locomotive Breath? I hated Airey on that tour.

--
    Rob

4. tootull

[​IMG] [​IMG] Fight! :laugh: ;)

So, bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
    Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman.

The Hud and Rob Burgess like this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Further on from either of those, "Working John, Working Joe" is the eroded land bridge from Songs From the Wood.

6. tootull

Working John, Working Joe is a favourite here. In any form. :p

The Hud and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  7. Essan

Essan Forum Resident

Quite long for an instrumental track. I am really looking forward to hearing this, knowing the place it was isnpired by and already liking all the other Skye inspired songs :)

tootull likes this.
  8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's the way I always took it as well.

Glad I never bought the bigger 2011 box.

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Base knaves! :cussing:

10. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I made a mistake with this - there is no vinyl - just a cd, signed or unsigned

11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

must have been that. The guy on the video thought it had could have vocals

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Hmmm. Now wondering if its one of Martin’s guitar based jams like Quatrain.

13. tootull

:cool: 6 plus

14. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

A little off-topic, but while we wait... has anyone tried making a “lost” album from the Broadsword outtakes? I’m giving the album a spin and let the stream continue after Cheerio and there are some really good songs here (namely Jack a Lynn and Mayhem Maybe but that’s as far as I’ve gotten!).

Runicen likes this.
  15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Mine is :

RHYTHM IN GOLD
    The "BROADSWORD AND THE BEAST" Outtakes Collection

1 Jack Frost And The Hooded Crow
    2 I'm Your Gun
    3 Down At The End Of Your Road
    4 Too Many Too
    5 Jack-A-Lynn
    6 Motoreyes
    7 Rhythm In Gold
    8 Mayhem, Maybe
    9 Overhang
    10 Crew Nights
    11 The Curse
    12 Commons Brawl
    13 No Step
    14 Drive On The Young Side Of Life
    15 Lights Out
    16 I Am Your Gun (alternate mix)

Outtakes collected from the "20 YEARS OF JETHRO TULL" boxset, the "NIGHTCAP" compilation and Dave Pegg's "A BOX OF PEGG'S" boxset.

Runicen, georgwithoutane and ParloFax like this.
  16. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

DJ
    Dinosaur

17. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

They're what I have!

18. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

There seems to be a lot of love for the “broadsword“ album on this board. I haven’t heard the album in well over 30 years. Bought it when it came out- Probably gave away my vinyl copy many years ago -felt it was very disappointing at the time, kind of generic rock ‘n’ roll or something. (I pretty much loved every Tull release from stand up to storm watch). So was I missing something? Is there one track I should listen to that will convince me to buy this album ...again?

19. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I think The Broadsword and the Beast threw people off because it doesn't sound like anything Tull had done up to that point. The heavy use of synthesizers and the less-energetic drumming of Gerry Conway, along with, I think, a substandard set of songs from Ian, left people feeling like this wasn't what they bought Tull records for. Even more strangely, when the box set 20 Years of Jethro Tull came out in 1988, we all discovered that many of the best songs from those sessions were left off the album. Many of these were added as bonus tracks when the CD was remastered in the early 2000s.

Of the songs on the original album, I've always liked "The Clasp" the best.

mike s in nyc, Plan9 and Runicen like this.
  20. tootull

:cool: Oh yeah, Coriusk is a Tull cool instrumental. :cool: Calming yet could win a heavy metal grammy. :laugh: Charge!

fact or fiction ?? you be the judge Wife likes! :pleased:

Runicen and The Hud like this.
  21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Compared to 'A', which I don't like much at all, "Broadsword" is a fairly strong record if you can get past the meh modern circa 1982 production and plodding drums. But I think it's a tad overrated too. The good bits are very good and I think if you took the best songs off the album proper along with some of the songs that weren't released at the time, you'd have a damn good record.

mike s in nyc likes this.
  22. tootull

When Broadsword was released, I thought it sounded right for the times. It is a major record for me today. The sound does not bother me at all, it fits the mood. Broadsword is a MUST.

23. My recollection at the time was quite different. Fallen On Hard Times was a local hit and the album was liked along with the tour. It was seen as more of a return to form by me and my friends. And in no way do I agree that the best songs were Left off the album. I do enjoy The Clasp too.

24. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I did not realise the mix of I'm Your Gun was different on the 20 Years set and Box of Pegg's will have to go back and relisten

25. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

The Clasp is possibly one of the best Tull songs, in terms of capturing their essence as a folk / rock band. The arrangement is complex yet simple, the instrumentation, as thorough as it can be (even mandolin and flute make an appearance here and there), it's got a great melody, great pop structure... For a long time, it has sat after ***** Willow in my preferences, but lately that has changed.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    The Hud and Runicen like this.