Jethro Tull - A (A La Mode edition) (3 CD / 3 DVD) - Steven Wilson remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Jan 27, 2021.

1. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

Except that on Roots to Branches:"there you find Doanne drumming at his best IMHO

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Is the version of Sweet Dream on Slipstream the same one as on Bursting Out?

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Yes

mark winstanley and Keith V like this.
  4. folkfreak

Again, I don't talk about the drumming but the sound of the drumkit. And I don't like Doane's drum SOUND

Keith V likes this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Thank you

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I think Pegg was the last hired member to have any real style. Everyone who followed him were just yes men for Ian.

newelectricmuse likes this.
  7. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I'd say the Fairport members that followed Pegg, Martin Allcock and Dave Mattacks, had distinctive styles, but couldn't fully express them with Tull.

Keith V and newelectricmuse like this.
  8. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Agree. Martin Allcock was a fantastic musician on a range of stringed instruments but was hired as a keyboard player! Dave Mattacks is a great drummer but was not a great fit for Tull - perhaps more the acoustic stuff, but not so much the rock and especially not the prog. Peggy, on the other hand, fitted in well, and continued in the tradition of Tull being in a band of easily recognisable characters and strong personalities. (I always find it amusing that the three albums before he joined - while remaining in Fairport - were "the folk trilogy" but his first one with the band was A!)

Siegmund likes this.
  9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Have you listened to Lou Reed's Blue Mask? Doane's drum sound on that album is one of the best i've ever heard.

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Good point

11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Most of it, anyway. The recording in Slipstream is edited, removing the instrumental passage/guitar solo and one of the "get out and get what you can..." sections. But, yeah, what's there is the Bursting Out version. (Also used as the B-side to "A Stitch in Time" and featured on the Promotion Manual promo compilation.)

Galeans, Hep Alien and Keith V like this.
  12. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident Thread Starter

13. folkfreak

Nice read.

Progatron and sound chaser like this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Seems like we’re in for a treat. Not that i doubted that.

15. folkfreak

Regarding the passage of cutting the beginning of Crossfire: I am stunned how Ian managed to edit these things back in the good old tape days. When you listen to Orion there is absolutely no indication that there are any edits, it just sounds that it was played that way. Likewise I can't imagine that the beginning of Crossfire isn't the actual beginning and that there is simply cut something out. I am really curious to hear the unedited track.

Keith V, Kim Olesen and Galeans like this.
  16. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I assumed they created a new master for the tracks when they decided to edit them - the alternative Songs From The Wood on the boxset couldn't have been done by snipping tapes, they must have done two masters then picked the one they wanted to keep. There is sometimes info on the choices in IA's track by track notes, but not always.

17. folkfreak

No matter if it's the master or a copy. The edits are skillfully crafted. That's what i meant.

18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

My thoughts exactly.

folkfreak likes this.
  19. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident Thread Starter

What amazes me is the complexity of the material that didn't see the light of the day. A couple of tracks are a bit rough sounding and not there yet but most of the times it's obviously stuff that has haf a lot of time spent on: it looks like "Coruisk" falls in this category. A look at the sessionography also reveals that they worked at an extremely fast pace. I don't know how they made it!

20. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Agreed, it is stunning that some of these pieces had so much effort put into them and were then just tossed aside. With the wealth of b-sides and non-album tracks that have already appeared on remasters and boxed sets over the years, you'd think some of these would have already seen the light of day. I'm wondering if there could possibly be more unheard stuff for Broadsword, but we shall see. My bet is on Motoreyes being finally made available somewhere other than the 20 box.

Galeans and Keith V like this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

In the DigiTULL age it’s much easier.

duneman, The Hud and folkfreak like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've had that thought many times listening to the box sets from the 70's albums about how much music Ian wrote and the band learned.

Galeans and folkfreak like this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

folkfreak and Kim Olesen like this.
  24. folkfreak

I had a Tascam 24 track at home and a Telefunken M15 2 track to mix unto, but I wasn't into editing. The only editing I did back then was cutting the tape at the beginning and ending of the track and sticking leader tape to it...:)

duneman and Kim Olesen like this.
  25. folkfreak

I can only repeat myself, but Ian Anderson 1993: "The vaults are empty now. Everything that's still left even a hardcore fan wouldn't want to listen to", 2017: Old Aces die hard....
    Ok one could say to his defense that the tape boxes were labeled "Dark ages", but , man, in 1988 when the 20 years box was compiled he must have remembered that fantastic track....
    And not only Old aces... everything previously unheard on the boxes after that 1993 quote... :yikes:

jordevi and Lands End Drums like this.