Jethro Tull - A (A La Mode edition) (3 CD / 3 DVD) - Steven Wilson remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Nikki Actionpacked

Nikki Actionpacked Forum Resident

Just for fun while we wait for more details!

Songs like "Jack-a-Lynn", "One Brown Mouse", and "Working John, Working Joe" were recorded multiple times for different album sessions. Earlier versions of the songs were then released on the boxed sets, like "Working John, Working Joe" on the "Songs from the Wood" boxed set.

What later eighties song would you want released (as an earlier version) as a bonus track on the "A" boxed set?

"Fly By Night" for me. I can picture that one with big Mark Craney drums.

Again, just for fun.

Hep Alien, Keith V and folkfreak like this.
  2. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup. A pity it had to take a f-kn pandemy for him to continue with the program, though :(

Note that the keyboard solo is not really a solo but an early version of his composition "Colour Code" which was released on his "Green Album" three years later. I believe the story goes that in 1980 Eddie had already started demoing and working on his solo album but accepted Anderson's offer to join the band so he could fund it. What's certain is that Mark Craney was the drummer on one of the demos and that's how he also joined the band. Anyway, Jobson's stance that he was a special guest was time related more than anything else: he said it so he could leave the band to resume working on his solo project once the tour was over but he did contribute a lot to the album and he was a big part of that line-up.

It's interesting that this, Curved Air and his Zappa period are the only ones he seems to look back at fondly. From his interviews, I get the feeling he never really felt one of the guys in Roxy Music and although they eventually made peace he seems to have had a checkered relationship with Wetton in UK. His later brief tenure with Yes was famously a disaster.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  3. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

On side 2, you have the hidden gem "And further on"

folkfreak and Galeans like this.
  4. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

And further on is fantastic. Also within the A-intro on the 1995 tour.

dreambear likes this.
  5. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

A passion play have lots of "dated keyboards", so I agree.

6. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

What is a true Jethro tull album? I know it was intended as a solo album, but it includes Three looong time members of Jethro tull, which is more than This was and Stand up have.

sound chaser and Lands End Drums like this.
  7. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Amen! I´m sure that there are folks that claims that "This was" is the only true album of JT. It´s a bit "I know better, because I´m 72 years old and didn´t disciover Jethro tull in 1985" (like I did)...

sound chaser likes this.
  8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

And more than reasonable. I'd actually call them a bargain. Most Tull booksets have been coming out at about €5 per disc, brand new. Fans of other bands rarely have it so good. In fact, I think only the Crimson megaboxes provide similar value-for-money.

Snow2, Starwanderer, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  9. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Excited. Wonder what the bad news is. I rather it be to do with live material. Studio material is the most important thing for me. Hopefully no tapes missing

Mirsset likes this.
  10. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

To me as an old fan Tull is simply Anderson and Barre, when Ian could hit the notes right all evening.
    Looking forward to A bought it the day it arrived, different Tull but still Tull!

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Correct, Benefit looks a little lonely away from the book sets.

12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I’m also missing a whole finger in the guise of the TAAB book edition!

Lands End Drums, Keith V and Galeans like this.
  13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I do think it's fair to say that A (album and tour) was a sea change unlike previous personnel swap-outs, which were always one member at a time. Losing Barlow & Evan not only gutted the prog lineup but severed the roots (save Ian) to their pre-Tull past and the camaraderie of those old friends. And Palmer had been a key (Ian's primary?) collaborator for years by then, too.

Ian, Martin, and Pegg were off to many new adventures, but it was never a full band of storied collaborators again. Not at all to derail excitement for this release, '80 was my first Tull show (and rock concert) so this might be my opportunity to revisit a lineup that my 8th grade self couldn't easily process at the time. (I wanted my Bursting Out heroes!)

The Stormwatch book edition did convince me that ~ much as there is to enjoy about that release ~ that incarnation really had run its course.

Instant Dharma and SJB like this.
  14. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Re-thinking this...since there's multitracks for the LA shows, I think there might be also a 5.1 mix in one of the DVDs...

15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Even if the ‘bad’ news was that it will be twice the price, it would still be a bargain :).

16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I am all in on all these book sets, very well done !

17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I sold mine long ago but I recently got the single disc version. It has a decent booklet and the “yeah” at the end. So my SW collection is CD size Benefit, Aqualung (both 2 CD sets), then Thick, Passion, Minstel, Songs, Horses (1 disc), Too Old and Stormwatch (box). I have mp3s of most of the boxes though.

18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I was referring to the concert audio, not the video. Sorry if I wasn't clear. So that would mean two CDs of concert audio and the finished, processed Slipstream on one DVD. That is, if the audio multitracks still exist. Daniel?

Sweet! I can live without the video if the audio is there. (I own a number of concert DVDs that I don't watch all that often, but I made CDs from the audio.)

folkfreak likes this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am glad the series is continuing, with SW at the helm. That's all!

Keith V likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I had the impression he and Zappa both had mixed feelings about his Zappa stint. Haven't heard him talk about Roxy.

21. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Yeah, while I would love to have a whole 1980/1981 concert on video the audio I will listen to much more often than viewing the video...

Keith V likes this.
  22. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Don’t worry. Isn’t that what audiophiles are (to the masses anyway).

Sean and Keith V like this.
  23. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

So is it OK to say I never liked "A" at all? It came after 3 very solid releases. I also like some of the stuff that came after. Actually, Under Wraps is probably the only one I don't like. This is one I will defer to the forum about the extra's on it. I have every other box by Mr. Wilson that he has done on Tull. It might interest you to know that I was such a big Tull fan at the time, that I have this on vinyl. Bought it unheard, like most things in that day.

I honestly would rather have Broadsword, a much better album IMHO. But, I look forward to any of Mr. Wilson's work. He will have to perform a miracle here for me though.

johnny q, Vaughan and Keith V like this.
  24. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I like A. There, I said it.

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Given where Mr Wilson’s taste has turned, it’s not surprising he’s moving ahead with the 80s.

Im ready to re-evaluate this era. :)

rednedtugent likes this.