Jethro Tull - A (A La Mode edition) (3 CD / 3 DVD) - Steven Wilson remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Jan 27, 2021.

1. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I like A more than half the original albums from the 70s and better than the 60s albums

tootull likes this.
  2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

he better get broadsword right lol. Been waiting for this one. I’ll be disappointed if the drums are still too 80s :p

FVDnz and tootull like this.
  3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Will you be here all week? :D

FVDnz and rednedtugent like this.
  4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I'm just getting into Tull and was hoping to collect all of the Steven Wilson box sets, but wow, the prices on some of them are insane. Were these limited? Why so expensive? I picked up a couple for around $45-50 each and would be willing to spend in that ballpark for each of the rest, but some are well into the triple digits. Nuts. Hopefully they'll reissue some of them to bring the prices down.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I've been buying all the book editions (except for TTAB which I couldn't find). But now I'm on the fence about A. I never listened to it because they told me it was more of a "Ian Anderson goes new wave" project. I guess I'll be reading this thread to know what you guys think of the set when it comes out. At least I'll buy the single CD edition for completism sake.

6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Broadsword is special. Best of the 1980s.
    Isn't that too prog...

JamesLord, Todd W. and Alan57 like this.
  7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Im hoping it’s no live material then lol. I noticed a big sound difference on Too old between the lost tapes and the found tapes

8. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

And the title song sounded great played at 45rpm

9. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Recommended as a bonus track.

:laugh:

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

That goes without saying. You know, thinking about it, there are only three Tull albums I don't really enjoy throughout: Too Old, A, and J-Tull.com. Which isn't a knock on the band, but a huge credit to them. Given how long they've been making albums, and the changes along the way, it's quite the complement. Part of the chagrin is that these box sets don't come out often, so when the slot is being taken by a lesser album (on a personal basis) then it feels largely like a stepping stone to something better. Still, as I've said, I often use these box sets to revisit an album, and that'll be the case here too. Who knows, it might really work in Surround!

Kim Olesen likes this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Stormwatch was an album where my appreciation it grew a lot with the deluxe set.

I don’t share your views on A BUT i fully understand where you are coming from.

Discussing music would be pretty boring if we all felt the same :)

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Please also keep in mind how often I've been wrong on this forum. Plus - I reserve the right to change my mind completely at the drop of a hat. :D

MikeManaic61, showtaper, Sean and 2 others like this.
  13. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident Thread Starter

Personally, I think this is a valid way of putting it. My problems are with these who just post "I'm not going to buy it" or even worse "the reissues needed to stop at 1979" (Yeah? Well, obviously those in charge and most of the people here beg to differ).

If you decide to order this box, I hope it will help you appreciate the album more. There are a couple of Tull albums that were not my favorites but that these excellent boxes made me appreciate more, thanks to the new mixes, the extras and the amazing books. It all helped me contextualize the music and having a better understanding of it.

I take a alcohol shot each time you refence the Broadsword drum sound. I am slowly turning into a alcohol fueled seed drill.

FVDnz, Mirsset, dougb222 and 2 others like this.
  14. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Tried as I might I just can't get into War Child or Too Old, and the Wilson box sets haven't helped. A and J-Tull.com I find surprisingly good, though I do think there's something... off a bit on A. I get that A was originally a solo album, but it's there's something about it that is really far removed from Stormwatch; not sure what it is though or if anyone else agrees.

15. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Are you saying that the LA show was the source for Slipstream? There has to be King Biscuit Flower Hour CDs out there that have the show (or Westwood One, I forget which). If they can use 3rd party tapes for the Stormwatch box, surely they can find good enough recordings of the whole LA show.

16. Galeans

I think he means the video

BwanaBob likes this.
  17. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Why would that be a disappointment? Surely any Tull fan bought the "A" remaster and has it. I'll be more annoyed if it is included as I think it was crap and, as mentioned, I own it already.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I have no idea what Laufi meant by that. Ask him ;-)

19. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

YES! Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, you’ve been a wonderful audience. Try the veal. And don’t forget to tip your Gorts. :tiphat:

Anthrax likes this.
  20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

think you already are an alco lol

Galeans likes this.
  21. Galeans

:laugh:

Yeah, between this and the pandemy things have snowballed!

Hope "A" box will have some tasty outtakes to satisfy your (and my) hunger for new old Tull music.

Lands End Drums likes this.
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

sounds like it will have a few extras :D
    Never expected extra stuff on passion, warchild, too old, songs, horses, storm. An average of 4 new songs from these. Ian said there was nothing left in the vaults 10 years ago lol

Galeans likes this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Jobson, perhaps? I think he was a bad fit.

24. Galeans

More than Jobson joining I think Palmer leaving was a more determining factor. DP had been a staple of Jethro Tull since the beginning, even before becoming an official member.

By the way, Eddie Jobson is one of my favorite musicians ever and I loved him in Tull as well :D

FVDnz and Lands End Drums like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'd hazard a guess Ian heard U.K. opening for Tull and decided to incorporate some of that style. I think he also tried to get Terry Bozzio who turned it down.