Jethro Tull - A Passion Play appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Jun 26, 2020.

1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I love the record, every second of it, and have loved it since I first heard it some time in probably 1976. I enjoyed listening to Steven Willson's stereo and 5.1 remixes when the box came out, but when I want to hear the record, my go to version is still the original stereo mix as presented on the MFSL CD.

And I never skip the Hare....

L.

kiddo4, fuse999, sound chaser and 2 others like this.
  2. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

bhazen, tootull and GodShifter like this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I was kidding there was a video about owen wilson complaining about people thinking Jethro tull was a band member.
    I thought it was unfair to alice coopers band members that they were named alice cooper

Dr. Bogenbroom likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I believe Ian Anderson provided the song titles when the MFSL Cd was done. As noted, there were not included on the original promo album.

The title "Critique Oblique" made its debut on the Nightcap CD.

DaveJ and Pete Puma like this.
  5. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I’m not an idiot. I know Jethro Tull is and always was a band especially given that I’ve been a fan since the 70s. Your personal attack is inappropriate and I’m entitled to my opinion. You’re wasting my time.

a customer and GodShifter like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You messed up, it happens. Obviously, you meant Anderson, but the joke is too ripe to not to take advantage of. I’m sure you’re a solid fan. I was just being an ass. No hard feelings, I hope.

I don’t agree about ‘jumping the shark’ on this one. Too Old to Rock ‘n’ Roll might have, but then they got back on track. Under Wraps is when things got preposterous (and, yes, I know the history of that album).

DaveJ likes this.
  7. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I appreciate your response. Thx.

DaveJ and GodShifter like this.
  8. I started appreciating the Hare more after watching the video.

lschwart likes this.
  9. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

I am very fond of "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll", some great tracks on it and no particular duds. Goes well with "A Small Cigar" too, if you're allowed to smoke.

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Reminds me of Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans - full of details that reward repeated listening.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..a quick story...I was 11 years old when I first bought LZ II (my first LZ album)...I brought it over to my cousin's house who was 13 at the time and asked him-very seriously-"which one of these guys is Led Zeppelin ?" he stared at it for about 20 very long seconds, also very seriously, and finally said, "this guy"..pointing to John Paul Jones. In hindsight, a very funny example of the blind leading the blind. Oh and by the way, you forgot about that other great musician, Pink Floyd. He was real good!

GodShifter likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

TOTRAR is about half and half for me but what I remember missing more than anything when I first heard it was the thick, melodic bass foundation of Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:laugh:

Great story! By the way, which one's Pink?

DK Pete likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I like it as well.

15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Colours I've none dark or light, red, white or blue
    Cold is my touch (freezing)
    [​IMG]
    Jethro Tull – A Passion Play

yesstiles, joepepitone, DaveJ and 2 others like this.
  16. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The titles on the MFSL and the Promo are completely different things. On the MFSL we still have the continuous piece of music with index points so that one can skip to specific parts.
    The DJ promo has the piece cut in parts and in addition that is done so badly and unmusical that I still can't believe that it was made for the radio. Often not even fades.. in parts it sounds like one would just drop the needle somewhere on the disc...

17. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

how does the MFSL compare with the wilson remix, or the original vinyl for that matter?

18. I haven't listened to the vinyl in many years so no comment. The MFSL sounds as good as any version I have heard, but honestly I have never heard a BAD version of this album or CD sound-wise. The remix is different and this makes it an apples and oranges comparison -I like it fine, but the darker original mix is my preference. The MFSL has the individual track names and breaks and it is just a flawless package and presentation.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    kiddo4 and bob chabot like this.
  19. Do you guys remember if this part was played live at all? Or was it just a taped interlude fading in and out?..

20. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

On my live recordings, the interlude is clearly on tape.

ParloFax likes this.
  21. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I love it... Forest Dance 1 and 2, the synths, just carry me to a different and better place. I love that, and always play side 1 first, in great anticipation of getting back to that perfect moment on side 2. I have played this for a few people that never asked to hear it again and wonder why I love it.

yesstiles and ParloFax like this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It's definitely a weird album and I can see why it isn't to everyone's taste, but it works for me. I love it.

23. milco

milco Forum Resident

'A passion play' is one of those albums I don't want to come to an end. I always feels like it really hits its stride in the final ten minutes. Barre's crunching, excoriating guitar riff in the very last part makes me want to jump up and kick the air! It's absolutely breath-taking! As the whole thing fizzles out back into one last reprise of the 'Fulham Road' song, I feel a twinge of disappointment that it's all over just as it was getting so good!

yesstiles, Pete Puma and ParloFax like this.
  24. I couldn't have put it better...

How did the album fare in the UK, in spite of the bad reviews (so as legend goes/apart from Chris Welch's slashing it)? In North America it was so popular... Second #1 (Billboard) in a row in the USA, after "Thick As A Brick"...

25. I remember there was a lot of suspense and expectation on my part around the new album being featured or not at the beginning of the American tour, as the Circus mag was reporting Tull still needing to rehearse the new material, in school gyms and so forth, in between the initial dates of that tour, where in the meantime they had to resort on performing the old show instead. I was hoping like mad that they'd get it together in time for when they'd hit Montreal... And they did, definitely.

I guess the logistics of the audio-visual presentation/setting up, in those days where nothing of that sort was computerized, must have been a "small" nightmare too at first...