Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I saw the original Passion Play tour and I didn't hear any boos, only cheers. :confused:

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think you are the King!

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

Welcome Tullman

Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens - The show started with the boo birds - I remember feeling uncomfortable. However, by the end of the concert - everyone seemed to be won over.

:cheers:

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would give Rock Island higher marks. I really like this album, one of my favorites. :righton:

5. tootull

:righton: Long live the King.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I saw them at the Milwaukee Arena. I think most people had already heard Passion Play by that time. The Theatrics and String players were a nice touch.

7. tootull

:thumbsup: see the Rock Island thread.

8. tootull

Songs From The Wood Feb. 1977 Heavy Horses Jan. 1978 Stormwatch Sept. 1979

An amazing folk rock trio:

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was working on my lawn and getting it nice and green. Later, I went in and played Songs from the Woods, because I am the Jack in the Green.

Leslie K Crosby likes this.
  10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

One advantage of the Passion Play remaster is the very strange video contained therein. Most unusual. I remember finding this one my favourite at the time of release, having heard the "Thick As A Brick Single Edit" about a million times too often on the radio, along with Aqualung.

"The Originals" is a great packaging effort, don't you think? It's the best mini-LP reproduction of the original covers that I have seen (and I had sunray Island vinyl copies of Stand Up and Benefit). The title and band name added to the cover on most releases of This Was looks cheesy.

11. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I love Jethro Tull. I first saw them live in 1988 after hearing only one album of theirs (Heavy Horses). Since then, I have collected all of the LPs and CDs, the solo stuff by Ian and Martin, several "guest appearances" with Ian playing on other bands albums, and I have probably 150 live shows on cdr (and a lot more on cassettes).

My favorite albums are Heavy Horses, Stand Up, A Passion Play, Crest of a Knave, and Songs from the Wood. I do like all of their albums, but "Benefit" is my least favorite as an album, even though I like some of the songs quite a bit. I have never understood why so many people find it to be their favorite Tull album. I just sounds like a bunch of outtakes and leftovers with a few great songs thrown in.

I have yet to hear the original stereo mix (or the mono mix) of This Was. I have been wanting to for years, but I just can't pay the $$.

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

You know, if I'd realized when I joined that there were already at least three other members with Tull themed monikers, I'd probably have stuck with my boring Audio Asylum handle, DAT.

I don't have nearly as many Tull albums as Tullman, probably because I balk at redundancies after a while, and early boots tend to sound Soooo Bad.

I do have some interesting pieces, though, like the jukebox single with sleeve for Aqualung and the picture disc for Rocks on the Road, a shaped disc for Steel Monkey and a quad 8-track Aqualung, among others.

Isn't it time for the folkie Tull? Songs, Horses and Stormy Weathercocks?

Plus Live Bursting or Busting Out, depending about where on the jacket you look! Are their any versions that don't bleep out Ian's quip to David? Of course, I guess Palmer doesn't have to worry about giving it a good shake any more. Ahem! :rolleyes:

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I so wish I'd taken my 15 year old son to see them here at The Paramount on the recent Aqualung tour. I've run into three people now who were there and said it was a helluva good show.

Last night I had some friends over for a little wine and music. Put on 'Bouree' for them off a clean -1 Reprise, and they loved it.

14. tootull

:agree:

15. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

My moniker comes from David Palmer's contribution to the Stormwatch album. The beautiful instrumental, Elegy.

I have a number of picture discs as well. Rocks On The Road, the shaped monkey, the shaped Ian doing his famous pose and the 7" Broadsword And The Beast 33 1/3. Oh, Aqualung too which was included in the Ultimate Box Set. I also have the aforementioned Originals set. There's not much I don't have I guess. I spent years (and tons of cash) collecting this stuff. Sorry, I don't mean to brag.

I have not heard any recording of Bursting Out without the bleeps. They all have it including the Japanese mini lp, the US vinyl, the new remaster, the original US and UK cd's, everything. If one exists, they haven't released it yet.

Cheers

16. tootull

Brag on!

17. tootull

'A' Sept. 1980

Here comes the 80s

'A' eh! Ian Anderson solo album turned Tull hence the A for Anderson title eh
    'Black Sunday' 'Working John Working Joe' 'The Pine Marten's Jig' & 'And Further On' caught on to me right away - Later I appreciated 'Crossfire' and 'Fylingdale Flyer'

LOVE the remaster -da best! eh

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the vinyl picture disc of Rock Island. I'm planning on framing it with the cover.

19. tootull

The Broadsword And The Beast April 1982

My favourite 80's album & with the remaster's bonus tracks this is a superior effort!

LOVE the remaster

.. and recommend the West Germany original CD

20. tootull

Ian Anderson: Walk Into Light Nov. 1983 Under Wraps Sept. 1984

Loved them from the start! For me a great matched pair - for others... :shh:

User friendly that's all I am to you.

LOVE the remasters!

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the mofi and British vinyl of this title...and the Chrysalis cd.

Do you prefer the remaster to the West Germany original?

22. tootull

Crest Of A Knave Sept. 1987

Best hard rock Grammy - a tribute to all those years!

The remaster is different to the original CD - it has lost that other room sound - echo is different. 'Part Of The Machine' bonus :thumbsup:

23. tootull

Rock Island Sept. 1989

This monster tour completes the 80's - if it's just an average Tull album - Then I've been geared towards the average rather than the exceptional. :laugh:
    It's exceptional to me. Another great tour.

24. tootull

No

The original is a low volume transfer, nice, turned up loud!

25. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.