Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

In my case, yes. Boris Dancing i like but Eurology falls into muzak caterogy imo. I agree, Gift of Roses is a splendid song, probably my favourite from Dot.com.

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

Jethro Tull comes to Liverpool's Philharmonic Hall & Jethro Tull: Ipswich's magical maestros

3. tootull

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=148097&highlight=
    Ian Anderson solo
    I play "Walk Into Light" & "Secret Language Of Birds" the most. My wife plays "Divinities" the most.

I liked "Rupi's Dance" off the bat, but I don't listen to it as often now.
    Love these tracks:
    "Lost In Crowds" – 5:37
    "A Raft Of Penguins" – 3:34
    "A Week Of Moments" – 4:27
    "A Hand Of Thumbs" – 4:02
    Like this: "Pigeon Flying Over Berlin Zoo" – 4:18

4. tootull

Highlight concert with few souls in the house: Yes, Divinities was well suited to the sound of Massey Hall from the front row. The second half of the (Neil Young Massey Hall style) show was a true acoustic highlight, one of the reasons that I remain a Tull/Anderson (natch) fanboy to this day. Heavy Horses was a beautiful lead to the second half.

+ I agree about Roots To Branches.

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/95.htm
    3/6/95 Massey Hall Toronto, Canada
    Ian Anderson Live In Toronto
    In A Stone Circle, In Sight Of The Minaret, In A Black Box, In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff, In Maternal Grace, In The Moneylender's Temple, In The Defence Of Faiths, At Their Father's Knee, En Afrique, In The Olive Garden, In The Pay Of Spain, In The Times Of India (Bombay Valentine), Heavy Horses, Life Is A Long Song, Sossity: You're A Woman/Reasons For Waiting/Sossity, Wond'ring Aloud, Cheap Day Return, Nursie, Dun Ringill, She Moves Through The Fair/Dust Devils, Jack-In-The-Green, Bourée, Aqualung, Locomotive Breath

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgdaniel/tags/masseyhall/

5. tootull

For sure. "I'd also like to make a flute album, because I play like no one else on the planet, and I don't want to be remembered as the bloke who stands on one leg with a flute." Ian Anderson March 2010 Record Collector
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5248303&postcount=682

6. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I picked up this is the set list for the Northampton gig and i got grumpy again:

1.Dun Ringill
    2.Eurology
    3.Water Carrier
    4.Life's a Long Song
    5.Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll
    6.Birthday Card at Christmas
    7.Nothing is Easy
    8.Bouree
    9.Fat Man
    10.A Change of Horses
    11.Songs from the Wood
    12.Budapest
    13.Aqualung
    14.Locomotive Breath

I see no rarely performed songs for "Tull nerds" that Ian mentioned. Instead there's all the obvious songs, one new track, few solo tracks and one christmas song. And it seems like Stand Up is still the album they play the most.

7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I think that it is just one long piece of music. It was not labeled Part I and Part II on the album, although if that were the titles of the "two" pieces, it could have.

No argument about all of that here though...

I still don't have the answer to my original question.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There's no way they could have made it truly continuous on an LP, unless they made it play at 16 rpm. Hence, the album came out with "Thick As A Brick" part 1 and part 2 as a de facto partiton. It can be argued that the first few minutes of side 2 was simply filler, as it featured several failed takes.
    Anyway, it was originally called "Thick As A Brick" as a single song/LP if one reads the cover, but there was a radio station version with the work broken up into segments that were listed as "Thick As A Brick Edit #1" and so on, with one or two of such edits making their way on to a few of the many greatest hits compilations.

9. tootull

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

11. tootull

Obsessive, me? :laugh: Not enough time. Talkin' about the Brick things I've noticed since 1972, that would be just a preview. When I posted that I was thinking of the little details what would be missing with a download. Obsessive. :evil:

12. tootull

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/leisure/5064595.Ian_Anderson_not_out_to_make_friends/

Gig: Jethro Tull at Fairfield Halls, Croydon March 19, 8pm

Tuesday 16th March 2010
    By Graham Moody »

It may only be March but Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson has a lot of work to do if he is going to make it on to Simon Cowell's Christmas card list this year.

The iconic British folk group are currently touring the UK again and will be performing at Fairfield Halls on Friday.

Having been at the top of their game for four decades now, Tull have seen the music industry change a great deal and it's safe to say Anderson is not the biggest fan of the current trend for talent show superstars.

"When we came through it was good because we didn't have sudden fame, it was a gradual rise," he says.

"We had time to learn what we were doing, like touring and travelling and staying in hotels as opposed to the young acts today who find themselves becoming immediate successes.

"They are all just basically the same and copy artists that have nothing original to say at all, just spending their time imitating the old styles and long established artists.

"They are just rather hollow vessels for the likes of Simon Cowell who are looking for a commercial product.

"It's not about people or creativity.

"None of them write their own songs, they just want to be imitators.

"They are like a ventriloquist dummy with Cowell pulling the strings.

"It's rather sad.

"It's always been that way but we took a very different route as we knew what would happen.

"We avoided the man with the cigar and the big office desk and the big gun.

"We decided to go with the new breed, people like Richard Branson who were a different generation who liked music and the idea of building record companies.

"They were much more in touch with music but the last 20 years has seen a bit of a return to the ruthless person.

"If I was starting out again I would avoid that kind of person."

Ranting aside, Tull have enjoyed enormous success with a whole legion of fans all over the world and a back catalogue of songs that would make Cliff Richard jealous.

With that amount of songs you could forgive them for getting bored performing the same material over and over again but Anderson revealed that wasn't a problem.

"We try to change it by at least 50 to 80 per cent from the last time we played as we want to keep it as different as we can," he says "There are only two or three songs that are set in a Jethro Tull gig but you do find yourself torn between doing the best stuff from your repertoire and people saying - oh they played that last time.

"There's always a mixture of music with the tried and tested examples of the old repertoire then the more obscure stuff that the anoraks in the audience might say - oh yes, I know that one."

Jethro Tull, Fairfield Halls, Park Lane, March 19, 8pm, £25.50. Call 020 8688 9291 or visit fairfield.co.uk.

13. fatman2

fatman2 New Member

"There's always a mixture of music with the tried and tested examples of the old repertoire then the more obscure stuff that the anoraks in the audience might say - 'oh yes, I know that one'."

Just great, now Ian is calling us "anoraks", i.e., freaks or geeks who suffer from a psychological disorder, I guess because we happen to really like his music and know all the songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_(slang))

Also, see discussion at:

http://thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tours&thread=643&page=2#4468

Thanks a lot, Ian!

Jeff

14. tootull

As I said to the Nonfatman "Master of Ceremonies"
    Name calling says way more about the individual doing the calling.

Repeat after me "through such a narrow window"

15. Ian is not always easy to like, but I think using the term "anorak" (commonly: a person, usually male, who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects) to describe some of Tull's fans is not too much of a stretch :D

16. tootull

I am your neighbour. I seem most respectable. But underneath I'm an iniquitous toad.

Just a reminder that this is a Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread and I live down at the end of your road. Maybe someone should start a 2010 tour thread. :whistle:

>Down At The End Of Your Road<

I am your neighbour. I seem most respectable.
    But underneath I'm an iniquitous toad.
    So many dreadful mishaps have befallen you
    down at the end of your road.
    And I live down the end of your road.

I'm working on ways to remove you from paradise -
    from your striped lawn and your new swimming pool.
    I place broken bottles in your geraniums -
    sabotage your gardening tools.

By day I am a real estate agent gentleman.
    I deal in fine properties - cheap at the price.
    After dark, I plan my most devious practices
    which you might think are not very nice.

Designing a system to reverse your plumbing -
    welling up, as you sit on your private throne,
    will come up all kinds of vile and despicable nasties
    you would rather not have in your home.

Dispensed loathsome creatures in your drawing room,
    Sent doggy poo-poos in your morning mail.
    Rats' heads and larks' wings should set your tums turning
    and your houses will soon be for sale.
    Yes, I live down the end of your road.
    Well, I live down the end of your road.

I live down the end of your road.

- Ian Anderson thanks you - I'm sure. :laugh:

17. fatman2

fatman2 New Member

If you read further into the definition, it is more than simply having a strong interest in a niche subject. The word anorak, at least according to Wikipedia, strongly suggests someone who has a psychological disorder, a "nutjob," so it is not at all a flattering term.

Just sayin'.

Jeff

18. fatman2

fatman2 New Member

As a great appreciator ( I'm sounding a little like George Bush there) of Jethro Tull, I would greatly appreciate not being called an "anorak."

Jeff :pineapple:

19. tootull

20. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Can any JT fanatic kindly explain to me why two of the best JT songs still remain unavailable on CD?:

1) Seventeen - full length 6:06 single version. Why was this killer passed up for inclusion on the Living In the Past lp? Why is the only version on CD (that I know of) an abridged 3' version?

2) Witches Promise - original stereo single mix
    The original 45 dry vocal mix blows away the LITP remix by a mile. The single was issued in most countries (including the US) in mono but some countries like Britian and Japan issued this gorgeous stereo mix. It remains one of my alltime favorite Tull tracks. Also I believe the UK b-side stereo mix of Teacher is also unavailable on CD.

My alltime fave Tull lp's:
    1) Benefit - to me this was the high point of Ian Anderson's songwriting. I give very few lp's a perfect 10 but this is one of them. My only complaint is that Tull went towards a more softer acoustic/piano rhythm sound on this lp. Many of the songs (like Nothing To Say) could have 'benefited' with heavier rhythm guitars like they did on Stand Up. I never liked rather sterile production on this lp either.

2) Stand Up - the songs were quite not as good as Benefit but the production and overall heavier arrangements make this lp a winner. 'Back To The Family' is as good as it gets.

21. maddogfagin

maddogfagin New Member

Hi Owsley

The remastered "Benefit" has the UK mix of Teacher as one of the bonus tracks and the US version can be found on disc 3 of the 20 Years box set. I'm sure there may be other instances where they might be found but these two are off the top of my head.

Apparently Ian Anderson detests the song "17" and has not sanctioned its release in full, only the 3 minute version and as yet it has not seen the light of day on any official CD

Tend to agree re. Benefit. It's my favourite Tull album as well and one that a lot of fans have a great affection for.

Cheers

Maddog

22. maddogfagin

maddogfagin New Member

In fact the word "anorak" is used in many circles as a term describing the person as a dedicated trainspotter/record collector/stamp collector, etc.

If it hadn't been for Beatle "anoraks" who recorded their music off the radio in the early days it would have never seen the light of day on the Anthology albums as the BBC had wiped the original tapes.

If it hadn't been for Jethro Tull "anoraks" then gems such as The Water's Edge music composed by Palmer, Anderson and Barre would never have been issued, allbeit on a bootleg.

If it hadn't been for Dave Rees and Martin Webb of A New Day we would have never heard the Chateau D'Isaster tapes or any of the other goodies that have surfaced on the box sets. If you read the copies of AND from around the time of the box set releases and read some of the Chrysalis memos, which I have, you'd see what tremendous efforts they both made in getting unreleased items finally issued. In some quarters both Dave and Martin would be classed as "anoraks" but not as an obsessive term, more as dedicated to the band.

23. fatman2

fatman2 New Member

The Wikipedia definition of the British slang term "anorak" (which I provided the link for in a previous post) strongly suggests that it is an unflattering term and Wikipedia has it categorized as one of many colorful "perjorative terms for people."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pejorative_terms_for_people

The suggestion is clearly that the term refers to those with an unhealthy or obsessive interest in something, and it comes from those funny parkas that "Trekkies" and other similar "trainspotters" often wear. I do not believe that IA regards such people very well.

Jeff

24. tootull

Maddog, Teacher has left a few rocks on the road. :winkgrin:
    <USA Teacher with keyboards right>
    The remastered Benefit is labeled UK mix, but it contains the same USA type version as found on "MU" Best Of Jethro Tull, MFSL Living in the Past & 2CD The Best Of Jethro Tull Anniversary Collection Original Mixes. The difference is that these versions have different end fades, with the MFSL being the longest version.
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=209748&highlight=teacher

Four Teacher's on CD
    1. UK is found on the 20 years box CD
    2. USA Benefit CD with keyboards left
    3. USA Teacher on Living In The Past MFSL with keyboards right ...also on "MU" Best Of Jethro Tull, 2CD The Best Of Jethro Tull Anniversary Collection & Benefit Remaster
    4. Remixed on the 25th box set Classic Songs Remixed.

I'm liking the original CD "MU" Best Of Jethro Tull sound for Teacher as it is the least aggressive mastering.

Skating away...

25. maddogfagin

maddogfagin New Member

All these different mixes and versions does my head in!!!!:realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.