Jethro Tull "Benefit" appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Mar 9, 2020.

1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I don't agree with you that Aqualung is overrated. Overplayed to the point of never wanting to hear certain songs again, yes.

2. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I was going to post this if Galeans hadn't beaten me to it. RIP, Mike. It's a shame that it had to be you.

I don't think it counts as "politics" if I reproduce President Biden's statement on Collins' passing:

Michael Collins lived a life of service to our country. From his time in the Air Force, to his career with NASA, to his service at the State Department, to his leadership of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum; Michael Collins both wrote and helped tell the story of our nation’s remarkable accomplishments in space.

Many remember him as the astronaut who was by himself, orbiting the Moon as Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong walked on the lunar surface. He may not have received equal glory, but he was an equal partner, reminding our nation about the importance of collaboration in service of great goals. From his vantage point high above the Earth, he reminded us of the fragility of our own planet, and called on us to care for it like the treasure it is.

Although, in his life of accomplishment, he earned many titles and achieved the rank of general, he demanded that everyone call him, simply, Mike.

Our prayers are with General Collins’ family. Godspeed, Mike.

Statement of President Joe Biden on the Passing of Michael Collins | The White House

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I agree with all of the above. :agree:

mikmcmee likes this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

6. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I had tried a few times to get into Jethro Tull via Aqualung and Thick as a Brick without any success, I tried again with Benefit a few weeks back and absolutely love it. What an amazing LP.

I gave Aqualung another go last week as a result and still can't seem to enjoy it other than a couple of tracks. If Benefit is an anomaly in their catalogue, it's a bloody good one.

mikmcmee and Jonny W like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

This reminds me of a friend in high school late 80/searly 90's who was into recent alternative rock like The Smiths, and when someone brought up Tull he said he didn't understand what was up with Aqualung or Brick, but the album he liked was...Heavy Horses. One of those YMMV cases I guess.

Mook likes this.
  8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I usually listen to Stand Up with Benefit.

Flying so high, trying to remember

Mook and Jonny W like this.
  9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

They are of a pair but still quite different. Benefit rocks harder. It has an edge to it that Stand Up doesn't.

Sure, Stand Up delivers the rockin' goods, especially on "A New Day Yesterday" and "For A Thousand Mothers." The difference that drive is all over Benefit. The three out of the first four songs are strong rockers on the UK version. Adding "Inside" to the US version makes it 4 for 4.

Benefit never lets up.

10. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Love this album. What a run of peak albums: Stand Up-Benefit-Aqualung-Thick As A Brick.

I found A Passion Play pretentious and never could get into it.

A shame when Ian Anderson compiled 50 For 50, two tracks were chosen to represent it. To Cry You A Song is missed. BTW, I love this 3 disc anthology the more I play it.

Electric likes this.
  11. Northwindblewsouth

Northwindblewsouth Throws Right, Bats Left

In the 1970’s, my wife was a serious rock music fan and early in our relationship she showed me her scrapbook with over 100 ticket stubs from major rock concerts by top drawer acts, many of which were in Europe.

She has a lot of most favored albums, but none more so than Jethro Tull’s “Benefit.” To her, it’s the best album ever, and I don’t think anything could possibly change her mind.

mikmcmee, Vaughan and lschwart like this.
  12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I'd include This Was in that run, and I agree with you on Passion Play.

mikmcmee likes this.