Jethro Tull Benefit - Big Book Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 11, 2017.

1. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I missed the first box. Not missing this one!

FVDnz, TommyTunes, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I think the bang for the buck ratio is getting better and better atm (and it was already great at the start)
    Video DVD, TWO audio concerts, the usual studio stuff.
    And don't get me started on Broadsword. That'll be huuuuge.

Great they really did their best to give enough value for those who already have the old benefit box.

FVDnz, jeffreybh, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  3. You mean the multis? Apparently not, as there is no SW remix for Witches Promise included in the listed information.

Keith V likes this.
  4. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

:goodie:

DaveJ likes this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:biglaugh:

That was not too long!

Live detective and prophet!

jeffreybh, JulesRules and Fred1 like this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Didn' want to spoil it.

JulesRules and Fred1 like this.
  7. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

As others mentioned, Burning Shed is solid. It can take more time to get from the U.K. to the U.S., but they sometimes seem to ship a bit sooner than other places.

I used to be such a hard-core “Amazon only” person, but a couple of years ago I branched out to try some other places that people here were recommending. CDJapan and Burning Shed have definitely been the best, at least for me.

It may mean I don’t get something on release day, but I know I’m going to get it and it’s going to arrive in great shape. Especially since Covid, that’s no longer a given with some places anymore.

ParloFax likes this.
  8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The remixes of “Long Song” and “Pool” were on the 2011 set. The later book set added the 1971 mixes of those two tracks, but no further new Wilson remixes.

The book was bigger than the one with the 2-disc set, but there was also an earlier mega-deluxe set with vinyl and a bigger book. I think much or all of the latest book is recycled from that version.

But I do see one other new thing in the Benefit set - a US promo single for “The Witch’s Promise.” Presumably it’s different from the UK version, but I don’t know what that difference might be.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Six Bachelors and yesstiles like this.
  9. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Very excited for this to fill a big hole in my collection. Now just need them to redo TAAB. Which if memory serves was quite lite on bonus stuff compared to the others so even though it has been in book format feels like it could use a expansion.

jeffreybh and qtrules like this.
  10. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

Great news. And two concerts!

11. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Very nice ill be purchasing this as soon as I can oh my aching credit card

12. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Burning Shed link

https://burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/jethro-tull_benefit-50th-anniversary_boxset

- The original album and associated recordings remixed in DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM by Steven Wilson.
    - A video and audio recording JT performing at Tanglewood in July 1970 (remixed by Steven Wilson).
    - A flat transfer of the original 1970 UK and US masters at 96/24 LPCM stereo.
    - A mono audio recording of JT at the Chicago Aragon Ballroom, August 1970.
    - Steven Wilson’s 2013 remix of the album, 5 extra tracks in DTS and Dolby 5.1 surround and stereo 96/24 LPCM.
    - A 100 page book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, rare photographs and more.

13. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

I just pre-ordered from Burning Shed to ship in the US. Couldn't wait!!

14. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Ha-ha, literally checked for anything Tull a few hours ago via the official Warner Records distributor's site (perks of working in a record shop) and nothing was yet listed. Suppose it is only a matter of days. JPC price very, very nice though. Happy that Benefit is getting this treatment. Everybody I have talked to about Benefit seem to enjoy the album immensely once it's been listened to a few times. Previously, Benefit was viewed as a less-than Tull album, or the weakest of the initial 1969-1972 run. But I must agree it contains some of the group's very best songs and definitely made them contenders within the field of hard rock somewhat, in addition to the progressive/folk/jazz touch this era of their material has.

yesstiles and DonnyMe like this.
  15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I can't see it.

16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Ordered. Now I wait.

17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Incredible. I just received the Tanglewood show on illicit CD from the UK. It is
    stunning. But Steve's remix won't have Bill Graham's concert announcements at
    the end of the concert!

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

19. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Excellent news!

I do own the first box set, now ordered the second. :)

20. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Automatic purchase and keeping the Stand Up Expanded edition for the Carnegie Hall concert.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    FVDnz, Glenn coates and geodos like this.
  21. Daniel Falaschi

I see old ghosts here...

JulesRules and tootull like this.
  22. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

All truths to light, all crosses nailed.

23. ninjadave

ninjadave Forum Resident

This version looks great, so glad that Laufi was able to unearth the Chicago "Master" and point the record company to the Tanglewood master multi-track tapes that Wolfgang had. THANK YOU LAUFI!!!!!

I know the live "chopped" versions will grate but to push both live shows to 2 cds for about 90 minutes of music is asking a lot I guess and would have jacked the price. I won't miss the full drum solo, what I will miss is the banter and announcements as some of that is probably chopped.

There is hope that the DVD version of Tanglewood is complete or nearly complete similar to the Stand Up Carnegie reissue that had a chopped version on CD but the DVD had nearly, if not the full version, with all the banter and Drum Solo.

I wonder if anyone knows if this is the case. It's extremely possible since they would have to edit the video as well if they cut the audio for the DVD version.....lets hope its all in tact, I can live with that. I'll rip the audio from the DVD for completeness like I did for the Carnegie show, even if its not PCM, it'll still sound pretty good.

Lastly, this bodes well for a full release of the Broadsword live show(s), and a proper remix too - since the ground work is laid already. Be well all.

ninjadave.

FVDnz, JulesRules and Fred1 like this.
  24. Daniel Falaschi

slipkid, FVDnz, Glenn coates and 2 others like this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

US release?

Michael likes this.