Jethro Tull Benefit - Big Book Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Once again, applauses to Warners, Ian and all the people involved for treating fans in such a splendid way.

folkfreak, slipkid, Plan9 and 14 others like this.
  2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

3. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

So, what' s new in the complete Chicago setlist that's not been on bootlegs before?
    We used to know and the guitar improvisation?

4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

So on the fence with this one. Already have the previous remix edition, and i don’t care about formats so I would be buying it only for the live audio, but it is not really a period of JT that i enjoy that much in regards to live…
    On the other hand it’s not really expensive.

Edit, well 2 live albums on cd would cost close to the same as the box does, so i sprung for it, and preordered.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Plan9, Mirsset, MoonPool and 3 others like this.
  5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Sigh. After years of saying i don’t need this edition, proclaiming it loudly here again and again…..i’m going against myself. LOL at myself :D

It was the live discs that made me do it….

Doctor Flang, Plan9, FVDnz and 6 others like this.
  7. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Nice. This is much more than I was expecting. Maybe since Tull was able to bargain with Wolfgang's Vault others will follow.

Broadsword in the works. Ideally an expanded Thick As A Brick 50th next year. Also hoping Wilson decides to tackle Under Wraps...

Doctor Flang, Plan9, FVDnz and 3 others like this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

And also the Steven Wilson added Remixes in 2.0 and 5.1(I assume he is not going to start adding Atmos this late into the Tull Book Deluxe Sets, even though he is including it for other Album Box Sets he has worked on in the past year).

It is too bad that these Tull Deluxe Box Sets are the exception to providing value for the price, while other Music Artists charge $100-$150 for their Deluxe Box Sets that offer less in content. I only got into Tull’s Music, since I am a Steven Wilson Fan, and due to the value have bought most of these Book Deluxe Box Sets, even if I do not care as much for some of these Albums(like the Folkie Rock Trilogy, but figured worth it for the Concerts which included Songs from their earlier Albums), but ‘Benefit’ has become one of my Favorite Tull Albums, along with Aqualung, Minstrel in the Gallery, Stand Up and Living in the Past(speaking of which, although LITP is not an Album of New Songs, would love an Expanded Book Deluxe Box Set also to be released for that Album, although I do own the hard to find and expensive MFSL Version 2 CDs Set, along with the MFSL CD for Thick as a Brick and Stand Up).

9. tootull

Always wish for blu-ray, Atmos Broadsword please.

Plan9, FritzL, jeffreybh and 2 others like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

I bought Steven Wilson’s The Future Bites Deluxe Box Set from Burning Shed and it arrived to me in the US within 3-4 days of receiving my shipping notice, and that was with slower mail delivery during Covid last January.

JakeKlas and GRompre68 like this.
  11. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

That's why I did not hesitate to order this bookset from Burning Shed right away, as I too live in the US.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  12. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Is there a US price yet (Amazon or the other usual suspects?) . The only "benefit" i have is the 2001 remaster on CD, with four added songs.

Benefit is great but not my fave of the first three -I love "Stand Up" the most of those first three, and on vinyl it was one of the first albums I bought, way back a few years after it came out probably- .....

.and sadly I didn't know about the book box sets till heavy horses, so don't have the 'stand up' anniv. box, or any other then "thick as a brick" (which i found used)) except 'heavy horses, stormwatch and A. id love to get the boxes for 'stand up', aqua, minstrel, and songs from the wood, but not at the crazy prices they are going for. (ah, first world problems tho!)

13. agn

agn Forum Resident

It will eventually be available at Amazon, Pop Market, etc. Sit tight. Getting from Burning Shed is nice but pricey. $80 I am sure it can be had here in the USA for $50 or less soon.

slipkid, Swordsandchains and tootull like this.
  14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

It was $56 shipped from Burning Shed. I can handle that.

Plan9, frank3si and tootull like this.
  15. tootull

:cool: Burning Shed.

frank3si likes this.
  16. Yeah, I’m sort of waiting for Amazon to list it, but my conscience is telling me to order from Burning Shed even if it means I’ll have to wait longer to receive it.

Harry42 and tinnox like this.
  17. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Waiting for Amazon as well, their return policy is just to good if there is an issue with the book set.

18. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I hope I get this right: The 2016 Aqualung book set included three 5.1 mixes of songs that had only been available as stereo on the 2011 set - "Just Trying To Be", "Wond'ring Aloud, Again" and "Wind-Up (Early Version)".

Mirsset likes this.
  19. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wish they'd have included "Wond'ring Aloud, Again," too, since they went there with "My God." No new tracks disappoints my wishful thinking, but it was probably just too wishful.

Since the full-length Dharma solo will be on the DVD, I can live with the edited audio (it's indeed a long one). And hopefully an upgraded video, no time counter visible?!

Really nice both these live sets are here ~ though I still think they should've squeezed on "Play In Time" and "Fat Man" from the winter Euro tour for historical purposes (the quality really isn't bad, and it's the quartet's swan song).

Never heard Aragon in its entirety, but if it's like L.A. from the same leg, then it'll feature two verses of "Reasons For Waiting (the first & last) to Carnegie's one. Maybe someone here can confirm.

Well, they've sufficiently enticed me, I'm in.

ParloFax likes this.
  20. TheSeldomSeenKid

The only criticism I would have had on these Tull Book Deluxe Box Sets was not using BluRay Discs. I am only recently learning about Atmos, but does it require the BluRay Disc to be utilized, as only aware that a few recent Steven Wilson Atmos Remixes were put on BluRay Discs(in his own The Future Bites Surround Option and the one he did for the King Crimson 1969 Deluxe Box Set(I own the smaller 50th Anniversary ITCOKC Box Set, which has the 2.0 and 5.1 and having a hard time justifying paying for the 1969, since not yet have an Atmos Setup, and not sure I need all of those Concerts that I only covered Songs from their Debut Album, and only recently dipped into a few of those KC Deluxe Box Sets(Starless- from what I had read the better leg of that tour compared to the one covered on The Road to Red and On and Off the Road Again-I like the Talking Heads Style Music that those early 1980s Albums which are covered in that Deluxe Box Set, where the amount of concerts and other content is a great bargain for the price, but not sure when I would get the time to listen often to most of it, given my wide range of music interest including what I already own). I do have one other KC Deluxe Box Set on my wish list, and read that DGM plans to rerelease all of these Deluxe Box Setd, so can wait it out, instead of paying the crazy high prices for the Titles, which are only available on the secondary market).

jeffreybh likes this.
  21. tootull

:cool: Aqualung
    Bonus tracks in 5.1: *not on previous set in 5.1
    Lick Your Fingers Clean
    *Just Trying To Be
    My God (early version)
    *Wind Up (early version)
    *Wond’ring Aloud, Again (full Morgan version)
    Up The Pool
    Life Is A Long Song

Plan9, yesstiles and JulesRules like this.
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Pre ordered :D

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm glad this is finally coming.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

finally! it's real...

GRompre68 likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

good question? Hmmm, I figured it was a universal release...