Jethro Tull Benefit - Big Book Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The 50th anniversary of Benefit is in exactly one year, so perhaps that is the moment they are waiting for. Bring on the big book!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Bonddm like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's probably Ian's least favourite of his own albums so I'm not sure anything will materialise. :shake:

4. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

From David Rees...

"There are -or were- plans to issue benefit in the book format. SW hgas already worked his magic of course on the set released a few years ago, and the book would need only a reworking of the existing small format book, but it´s possible that som elive recordings couod be included -if there are any to be found! If it matrerialises I imagine it would be before Stormwatch. Fingers crossed on that one..."

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

That's where I'd put the Carnegie Hall concert.

Bonddm and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Or Tanglewood for the better, but Will never happpen.

7. Michael

Benefit: Tull's second best album and they didn't do a book version...weird?

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Yeah, I think there would be licensing issues with Tanglewood. Bill Graham's estate owns the audio and video and they tend to hold their stuff pretty tightly.

At the time, the book format wasn't fully standardized. Aqualung was a huge lavish box and a stripped-down 2CD digipak. The 40th-anniversary editions of This Was and Stand Up were digipaks too. Thick as a Brick was a book, but part of that was to accommodate the newspaper from the original. Only after several more reissues did Benefit look like the odd one out.

Bonddm, Plan9 and Michael like this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

Absolutely. I know they have tried to negotiate both for Tanglewood 70 with the Graham estate and for Landover 76 with Historic Films or whoever "owns" It to no success.

10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I hope that doesn’t mean we’ll have to wait 3 more years for a re-issue of the TAAB book edition, though!

JulesRules likes this.
  11. Michael

gotcha, but IMO they still could have done a "book" of Benefit...such a great album...missed opportunity. : (

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Can you imagine if the original Benefit album also included the non-album tracks "Teacher" and "Witch's Promise?"

An amazing album would have been significantly upgraded. Boggles the mind. :righton:

13. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I thought I'd give this thread a kick back to life. I'm going to be moving in a few weeks and have been going through the miserable task of dealing with all my media getting packed, and hit the Tull collection today. Of course there are odds and ends (MFSL of Thick as a Brick and Passion Play, M.U. for the remixed Aqualung tracks, etc.) but the most space is certainly claimed by the "book" program releases. Of course I'm glad Stand Up got a book, but it's weird to just have that "Collector's Edition" of Benefit. A minor life crisis to be sure :laugh: but it would be swell to get Benefit supersized and including a larger booklet so it doesn't look like I missed a title in the series. And if the Carnegie Hall material could make its way on there then I could get rid of the 2013 Benefit and 2010 Stand Up. Shelf space these days is getting kind of... desperate :agree:

14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing/getting book format of Benefit if it is ever released but have you seen the price of the Collectors Edition of Benefit on Discogs, amazing !

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Benefit sits on my shelf next to TAAB2, which is a little weird. I too am bothered by the lack of it among the book sets, which include a couple of less deserving of their albums. But yeah, first-world problem.

frank3si likes this.
  16. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Wow! I had no idea it was commanding prices like that!

17. Northern Lights

Northern Lights Forum Resident

Currently only commanding these prices, but none sold for that amount, yet.

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ya generally sells for $50-$60 on the secondhand market.

19. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I'd buy a book format of Benefit in a heartbeat; even if they didn't add Carnegie Hall. The OCD in me is dying for a rerelease of TAAB, since I never picked it up due to its lack of extras. I was actually surprised at that; I would have bet the farm that there were alternate passages or stuff excised for length (like that extra verse in APP).

yesstiles likes this.
  20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Probably because TAAB was the first one.

Since it's so sought after now, I'm sure a re-issue is eminent, and I bet they will dig up some goodies to add to it.

Bonddm likes this.
  21. Daniel Falaschi

The latest from the AND magazine is that Warners has it under consideration, yet they would like to have some extra material, which is not easy to find.

Plan9, Bonddm, tootull and 1 other person like this.
  22. Michael

I'm buying it when it comes out!

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  23. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

I nominate a new SW mix of the Carnegie Hall show!

Doctor Flang likes this.
  24. Daniel Falaschi

I nominate Tanglewood, though It Will never happen.

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Also, Warner have never issued it in book format, as the previous edition was on EMI. Warner’s first book edition was A Passion Play, after their Benefit Collector’s Edition.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019