Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

So far, from all the stories about master tapes and mulitracks "lost", eventually ALL have "appeared"

('Tommy', 'Close To The Edge', 'Genesis Live', 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' and a long etc)

:wave:

2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Maybe because it's my favorite Tull album or SW is just getting better at doing these things, but this is my favorite SW 5.1 to date. It's near perfect. My only quibble is the lack of a way to seamlessly branch the US version in 5.1 instead of the 2 flat stereo transfers. I know it's personal preference, but after listening to this album hundreds of times, old habits die hard.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Maybe, I don't think anything from that album has been remixed. "Bouree" is one of the few songs not remixed on Living In The Past.

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Except "The Band"

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for posting that correction. :thumbsup:

Posting conjecture about master tapes without any reference to back it up is just asking for trouble. It is bad press for the record company and mastering staff, and artist as well. Someone else will read it here and later post it as fact. "Oh yeah, I read it here on the Hoffman board". Thanks

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    jsayers likes this.
  6. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Hey, it's a discussion.

7. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

Finally got to listen to this the other night; simply superb. Wonderful job, Mr. Wilson!

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  8. If any album deserves the 'underrated' tag it is this one. I really enjoyed the new remix but last night I listened to the flat transfer of the UK album and for all it's warts it sounded mighty fine to me.

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The surround mixes sure sound nice.

jeffrey walsh and phil1db like this.
  10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

This is not conjecture at all - his post was correct. This album was slated for a DCC release many years ago, but it never happened because at that time the stereo master tapes WERE missing according to SH.

izgoblin and bluemooze like this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I like that a lot too, the original album (US version) has seen lots of use in my listening world and this flat transfer really sounds great. The remix does too, but I might play the flat transfer a bit more often in the future.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for posting that John. :thumbsup: I tried doing a search here and couldn't find a trace! Still, any quote about the staus of a master tape should include a reference

13. John Buchanan

Also note the 7 YEAR wait for the stereo master tapes for Aqualung to be delivered to DCC. Somewhere is a very illuminating video regarding this and the damage to a section of the master tape that was "repaired" by SH LOL.
    Stereotopic - regarding quoting that reference, I have no idea on how to search for that quote. I'm going on it being etched in my memory, as I was seriously pining for a DCC Benefit and it went from on the release schedule to nixed, just like I was hoping for a DCC All Things Must Pass.

14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Anyone know?

15. John Buchanan

MFSL did Stand Up from the stereo master tapes, didn't they?

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I remember SH posting that. Think he said IA sent a few tapes but none were what Steve wanted so it never happened.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bottom line is that it's swell that everything worked out and we're listening to one of Tull's best albums in a new way!

Yippee!

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not sure what Tristero had in mind but in my followup to his post I was thinking of the multitracks, not the two-track album master.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listened to the vinyl of this new stereo mix and the vinyl sounds great! Very crank able.

tootull and marblesmike like this.
  20. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/benefit-by-jethro-tull-on-180-gram-vinyl.332863/#post-9648400
    Record Store Day Black Friday - Featuring the original U.S. track list
    Release Date: Fri, 11/29/2013
    Jethro Tull’s third album BENEFIT saw the band transition from the traditional blues rock found on their previous albums and signaled the further evolution of their sound that would be present on their future album. BENEFIT is set for release on 180-gram vinyl on Black Friday. Featuring the original U.S. track list, the LP will be limited to 3,000 individually numbered copies and will be available for a suggested list price of $24.98.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Is that the original mix or the new one?

22. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

It's supposed to be the Steven Wilson remix of the US tracklisting.

tootull likes this.
  23. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Update:

This must've just misloaded the first time or something because the Sony is playing it great now. DTS 96/24 5.1 is killer-diller!

24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

It's the Steven Wilson mix.

25. PassionPlay

PassionPlay Forum Resident

Picked this up based on what I've read here...awesome sound on the remix.

tootull likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.