Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

There's a nice original version of Benefit on the DVD - this is also where the original mix bites the dust.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

So anyone know if the Jethro Tull in 5.1 series is continuing? Personally, I'd love a WAR CHILD Blu-ray Audio Disc.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

They're definitely doing A Passion Play, but beyond that, we don't know.

tootull likes this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Thanks!

5. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I was replying to a query about the high-rez material, so I meant the mastering of the high-rez stereo mix done by Mew on TAAB. AFAIK that was not replaced on the new dvd, only the 5.1 mix (glitch removed, mastering removed)

Thanks about the link.

6. tootull

:) Right - that's why I stated 5.1. Yes, Peter Mew's mastering unfortunately remains on the new stereo remix of TAAB.
    All good when it comes to the non mastered 5.1 & original mix of TAAB. ***Except that the final yeah is still missing from the stereo mixes. The final yeah was restored to the 5.1 mix.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    warp2600 likes this.
  7. tootull

Showing this the light of day....

One other point I'd like to make. My recent remix of Tull's Benefit only came out on DVD - I played it in my studio and compared the DTS 5.1 stream to my original 96/24 mix sessions - I honestly struggled to hear *any* difference at all. Now I clearly don't have the greatest ears, and of course I would prefer that my mixes aren't data compressed in any way, and am totally committed to high res, but I do wonder sometimes if it's possible to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Dolby Digital and mp3s are hideous, but actually DTS can be to my ears almost indistinguishable from lossless. Controversial I know (-;
    -Steven Wilson
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?18345-Dvda-is-not-a-dead-format-Can-be-played-at-home(Oppo)-and-in-Cars(Acura)

rstamberg and Pete Puma like this.
  8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Except the original mix and master has always sounded like turd, at least to my ears.

And SW's remix is very faithful to the original mix in regards to separation and placement. I liken it to a Mona Lisa restoration. YMMV.

bluemooze and tootull like this.
  9. tootull

Of all the Tull studio albums, Benefit is the one that needed a new stereo mix the most.
    The 5.1 DTS is the outstanding one. Steven Wilson spells success.

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Agreed. That and Aqualung.

Ed Hughes, Bronth, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this, TooTull. I appreciate Wilson's honesty and unassuming attitude. :thumbsup:

tootull likes this.
  12. Steve@39

Steve@39 Forum Resident

Benefit and Super Session were the two albums that got me into getting an electric guitar and playing in bands back in the early '70s. I vaguely remember an interview years ago where Ian Anderson said something along the lines of Benefit being Martin's album compared to Stand Up where Martin had just joined the band. Maybe a reference to Martin wasn't as up-front with his guitar playing early on? Looking forward to getting the newly remixed Benefit!

13. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Am I missing something? There's a Blu-ray?

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My first exposure to Tull was via CDs of Aqualung and the M.U. compilation in 1987. That's all I had for awhile. Then I bought the 20th anniversary box set and discovered that he wrote a lot of great stuff. My collection has grown steadily over the years, but I'm not done yet. :)

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I know Martin has said he was intimidated joining Tull, replacing Mick Abrahams and to top it off within a couple weeks of his joining they were opening for Hendrix.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

There's no Blu-ray with this set, just a DVD.

I've always loved Martin's work on this set. That "power tubes driven just into distortion" sound is so nice!

aoxomoxoa and warp2600 like this.
  17. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I believe they are going to do Passion Play

18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

No, that was a mistake on my part.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  19. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

That's what I thought. Just making sure. Thanks

20. nbakid2000

I still think the original mix is musically better and it should be listened to before the new remix.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I like them both. I'm so accustomed to the original mix from forty years of listening that it's hard for me to not be attached to it. I do like the new one though, best of all the SW remixes so far imo.

22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Ordered mine last night from Amazon and looking forward to hearing the new mix

23. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

What do you mean by 'musically better'? Musically better to me means better performances, so I'm not getting what you're saying.

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

This is my go-to version from now on. No need for the original murky mix, and 5.1 suits this music well.

marblesmike likes this.
  25. nbakid2000

The remix has taken some of the hard edge out of the music, rounded it and sanded it. It sounds wimpy compared to the original mix in places. It sounds more "poppy".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.