Jethro Tull 'Benefit' - New Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My copy will be here today. Based on the reviews here, I can't wait to give it a spin.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right they revived To Cry... on the final late 75 Minstrel tour and continued playing it on the Too Old... tour. I have recordings of both, will check them out sometime.

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

To Cry You A Song is awesome. Benefit is all good now. - Believe in DTS 5.1 - ignore Dolby

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    mmars982 and ponkine like this.
  4. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Unlike Aqualung, the Benefit remix is more subtle. I have and like the 2003 remaster, and the remix to me, in stereo, does not overwhelm. Obviously the 5.1, a set-up I don't have, is a different animal.

cc-- likes this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm spinning the first side of the UK Benefit remix vinyl now, and my sonic 'memory' tells me this is far less compressed sounding; I have a first UK Chyrsalis "i" and a first US; I may spin the others later but I am enjoying this. The midrange is more open, based again on 'sonic memory' and no glaring digital 'bite'- it might be less warm sounding than the original UK record, but that thing was so murky, much as I am an 'analog' guy, I think it is worth the trade-off. Again, these are first impressions, but those count for something. Now on side 2.
    FWIW, and maybe my memory fails me here, but on 'with you there to help me,' I seem to remember the guitar cutting into the song pretty much from the start. Am I tripping? Here, it comes in later in the song with that classic Martin Barre 'thick' muted Les Paul tone....

cc-- likes this.
  6. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Mine order arrived today from Amazon.

I have not had a change to open the package.

Perhaps tonight.

7. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I know I'm in the minority here. Got mine yesterday and after repeated listens I find
    it loud and unrewarding. I much prefer the old US Chrysalis CD :hide:

8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Loud!? I find it quite dynamic.

ponkine likes this.
  9. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

But to each his own...the lp rips are fantastic!

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Interesting, so you are saying the CD of this isn't great, but a rip of the same mix from the LP (back) to digital is? (No, i'm not trying to bash either format, just curious to understand). Thanks.

crozcat likes this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. I don't think you can accuse the new mix of being overly compressed or harsh sounding, particularly now that Mew is out of the picture.

12. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I'm sorry if it's confusing. I mean the rips from the original US and UK albums on the DVD. The original mixes, that is.

13. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

To be clear, though, they're not "rips" from LPs - they're transfers from the master tapes.

14. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

It's all in the tambourine on Sossity; You're A Woman, isn't it. Yeah, yeah it is :D. The 2001 Benefit remaster rips that tambourine up a bit. The original US CD holds its own at loud levels. I'll give you a pass. lol
    Louder - at least the tambourine holds together on the 2013 Benefit, just on the verge of breaking up.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  15. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

That's it. The original US is really crankable. This one I'm afraid not. EAC shows 98+ for most tracks
    and my ears find it unacceptable (that's only me, though!). Maybe I'm developing some kind of
    strange tinnitus but the US cd pleases me the most. Mind you, the LP transfer from the original masters
    are fine to my ears. Maybe they'll be my next go-to version:agree:

dead of night likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

EAC measures the peaks. You could have 100% on all tracks and still get the most dynamic mastering ever.

It is not an LP (or vinyl) transfer but a transfer of the master tapes without any mastering.

17. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I'm not an expert at all I just go by ear. Whatever sounds good to me. That's all.
    What do I know? I don't even like LITP mfsl and prefer the UK Chrysalis, but again that's me
    I need to feel that creamy smooth sound when I play my music to fill me with joy. Not the case this time:shrug:

dead of night likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Of course, that's your prerogative. :) I was just saying that the EAC levels have no correlation to loudness.

patsdelight likes this.
  19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Moonchild, do you prefer the original mixes on the DVD or the old US Chrysalis CD?

20. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

The DVD mixes are fine to me but I still prefer the old US Chrysalis CD (except for "teacher")

Concerning EAC: the first four tracks from the Wilson remixes pick at 98.8 98.8 98.4 98.0. Is that a coincidence?
    Such different tracks have almost the same volume pick. I just don't get it

21. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I meant "peak". Sorry

22. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

The same four tracks on the US Chrysalis: 81.4 79.4 73.6 81.9 so they're really different between them...

23. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Just because the overall volume is louder on one version doesn't mean that it is any less dynamic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik, it's when things are crushed to max levels without any breathing room that folks are more likely to get fatigued from listening. It's not like the remix's volume levels stay full blast all of the time.

Plan9 likes this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Dynamic Range readings

The old US CD:
    DR album: 11
    DR min: 10
    DR max: 12

The remix:
    DR: album: 11
    DR min: 10
    DR max: 13