Jethro Tull - Benefit on CD.. Best Version????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wileycoyote, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

ok, as it seems we can now hope for a remixed Benefit within this year.

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Ian Anderson has just revealed that Steven Wilson has done just that last year, in stereo and 5.1 surround.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's great..now lets have it all on CD...chuck the Vinyl, BR..keep the DVD.

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Well, feel free to chuck YOUR blu-ray, but that's the one that's most likely to have advanced resolution sound on it and I want it! :agree:

Agree on the vinyl, though. It should be available seperately for those that want it, imho.

Has Mr. Wilson chimed in about this news? I'm not 100% convinced yet for some reason....:waiting:

5. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

What??????!!!!!!!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I may add to this: OK on the BR, but let's not have anything exclusive...

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  9. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

I like "Benefit" from 3CD's Box Set "Originals" (EMI, 1997).

10. A Steven Wilson remix of Benefit, in stereo and 5.1, I'll buy that one for sure. An underrated Jethro Tull album.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Last year we were doing the remixes "Benefit", "A Passion Play" and tapes "Chateau d'Isaster"
    :yikes::yikes::yikes:

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Why is this not bigger news around here? Much more excited about this than Passion Play, which we've been hearing about for a while now (of course, I want that too)

13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Not underrated by me. It's the best one, IMO. :agree: It's great news, considering Ian Anderson supposedly didn't want to do it, but Steven Wilson was pushing him.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm holding on to all my enthusiasm until I hear this officially confirmed by Steven Wilson. Or an "official announcement"......something more concrete than what we have...but that's just me. :shrug:

15. Steve@39

Steve@39 Forum Resident

Hi, my first post! I remember Benefit back in 1970, one of the first albums that got me into playing electric guitar, bands etc etc. At that time, it was a magic album for me.. I did however remember the sound off the vinyl was very flat and lifeless- like someone had forgotten to turn the gain up on the mix. I bought the CD version back in the '80s here in Australia, and it suffered from the same dull sound. I would love to hear that album really opened up sonically.

16. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I'm in for all three! Any idea when we might see a release?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Then I might not convince you, but the remixes have been done, they are real, that's for sure.
    As to when they will be released, we hope this year.

rtsurroundfan likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My favorite version is also the 1st US CD pressing. It rocks. Probably the best-sounding Benefit as of now.

19. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

well seeing as how an unreleased SW stereo mix of "Teacher" is out in April, it will be cool to have the Benefit remix released in the summer, followed by A Passion Play in the fall. :)

20. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I'm all over a Benefit remix.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

A fully-realized "Chateau D'Isaster" will be the highlight of the millenium.

Galeans likes this.
  22. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

"LITP" Highly Limited 7 inch Vinyl Available April 20th

[​IMG]Time to break out the old turntables for a highly limited 7” vinyl edition of ‘Living In The Past’, featuring a new previously unreleased Steven Wilson mix of ‘Teacher.' The EP will be released on Record Store Day, April 20th 2013.
    The 7” vinyl will also contain ‘Witch’s promise’ and ‘Life Is A Long Song’.

seems he did remix some tull music recently

23. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

This is the one I'm excited about. Remixes in general don't do much for me, but I'll take a complete Chateau D'Isaster tapes anyway I can get it :)

24. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

:righton:

I love "Benefit" and I look forward to a remix, expecially if it includes unreleased session tracks. The original mix does fine for me, though

25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A natural pick for MFSL or AF. There are few albums where I would welcome a proper audiophile remaster (of the original mix!) that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.