Jethro Tull "Benefit" Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by workhorse, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually, would I be allowed to change my opinion here? I listened to the entire "Benefit" LP over the weekend (and re-listened, just to be sure), and suddenly it sounds really good to me! I think this change of heart comes from me upgrading my turntable since the last time I've listened to "Benefit" (which was over a year ago).

Now, with upgraded turntable, this LP sounds gorgeous. Yes, the bass is still weak and the drums are still pushed all the way to the background, but the overall sonic picture is nevertheless fantastic.

I guess this goes to show what a difference a turntable can make.

Btw, I now think that "Benefit" might just be Tull's most original album, if not their best ever!

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It (and Aqualung) still sounded like s##t when I played new Island UK pressings with a Technics SP10 Mk3 turntable, Breuer type 8/Type 80 arm/cartridge, Audio Research SP10/D79A pre/power amplifiers into Stax Sigma headphones or Magneplanar Tympani 1D speakers. Unlike This Was, Stand Up and Thick As A Brick in Island/Chrysalis UK.

john lennonist likes this.
  3. workhorse

You're right, listened to Aqualung last night and the sound is really, really bad. Benefit sounds much better.

4. John Buchanan

I think what annoys me is the complete squashing of both Clive Bunker and Glenn Cornick on both Benefit and Aqualung. They're far too midrange-centric albums, to the detriment of the sound. The Steven Wilson remixes partially fixed that.

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Clive Bunker was the drummer. Did you mean Barre’s guitar?

6. owsley

owsley Senior Member

My bad. I was referring to Clive Bunker's drum kit on a single track, not Martin Barre's guitar. Actually 'A Time For Everything' has drums recorded on more than one track and it's by far the best recorded rhythm section and the most satisfying album track from a production and playback perspective. Gives you an idea how much better Benefit could have sounded overall if all the other tracks were mixed well like 'Everything'.

Bill Cormier likes this.
  7. workhorse

I think the bass on Aqualung is more prominent than it is on Benefit. Still, overall, Benefit sounds better to my ears.

The only songs that sound okay on Aqualung are the three short acoustic pieces. Probably recorded in different studios...

8. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

This is a good day (July 20) to listen to “For Michael Collins, Jeffrey And Me” in 5.1 (vinyl acceptable too). :)

hefeman and CybrKhatru like this.
  9. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I had a copy with the bad Side 1. It was about half the volume of Side 2. It was a
    brown Reprise without the Artisan stamp on Side 1. I found another one with double
    Artisan stamps and it sounds great. I have a US green label that sounds great too.

10. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Just received an A1/B1 UK pressing in the post. It is in better than excellent condition and so freakishly quiet no noise at all so far through near the entirety of side 1. Waaaaay better than any US pressing I've heard which have been many.

11. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Actually, both Clive and Glenn left the band after "Benefit", and were replaced by Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond and Barrimore Barlow for the "Aqualung" album.

12. John Buchanan

Clive was still drumming for Aqualung. My mistake about Glenn/Jeffrey. Barriemore Barlow started in Jethro Tull for Thick As A Brick. Regardless, the rhythm section sound of Benefit and Aqualung was vastly improved by the remixes, thanks to Steven Wilson

Acoustic Warrior and DK Pete like this.
  13. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

You're right about Clive still being in the band for "Aqualung".....sorry for the mistake. Anyway, I agree that the remixes added some weight to the rhythm sections on those two releases.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

John Buchanan likes this.
  14. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

‘Benefit’ is my favourite Tull album, though I remember it took several plays back in ‘76 (when I first heard it) before its subtleties hit home for me: partly, I think, because of its very individual production which gives the whole record a uniquely misty and ethereal feel. Over the years, I’ve come to appreciate that as an essential part of ‘Benefit’s special appeal, one that Steven Wilson all but eradicated with his sterile 2013 remix. My 1976 UK Chrysalis LP still sounds great to me.

kiddo4 likes this.
  15. John Buchanan

Not letting this one go - both Benefit and Aqualung are improved by the remixes - at least they have decent sounding rhythm sections in their remixes. The original Benefit (I had an Island UK copy) was all midrange and treble - shouty and fuzzy, particularly on electric tracks compared with acoustic, rather than ethereal and misty. My guess is that the mixing monitors at Island/Morgan studios were smiley faced and the original mixes reflect that. The remix fixed all that. Much as it did for Aqualung, compared with an Island UK pressing's sound of years ago (or, indeed, the DCC CD).
    This Was and Stand Up were far better recordings that both highlighted Jethro Tull's rhythm section in their original mixes and the remixes.
    Steven Wilson's "sterile" remixes - bah, humbug - the remixes actually added balls to the sound where it was required and cleared up all the fuzz. Sterile not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    HeavyDistortion, folkfreak and Col like this.
  16. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I do enjoy my recently purchased UK 1st pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.