Jethro Tull Golden Period

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mickey2, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

Old Zorki II likes this.
  2. Leslie K Crosby

Leslie K Crosby Forum Resident

This Was to Stormwatch

seed_drill, phonograph and pexie like this.
  3. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident

Tull is a great band, one of the best ever. My choice for their golden period is:

1. This Was
    2. Stand Up
    3. Living In the Past
    4. Aqualung
    5. Thick As A Brick
    6. A Passion Play

"Benefit" does have some great songs, but the overall tone is way too somber, sour, and bitchy. Ian sounds very disgruntled for some reason, and can't stop bitching and complaining on that album. Plus, the production is not nearly as stellar as it is on "Stand Up" and "Thick As A Brick" (which is their best sounding album). For those reasons, I rarely put "Benefit" on.

Norco74 likes this.
  4. My feelings exactly. Passion Play left me cold, and I never went back. But I still listen to the early stuff regularly.

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's funny because since I wrote that post I went back and explored more Tull and I actually really like everything up to and including Stormwatch. I still think their peak period is up to and including TAAB, but I've softened on the rest of the 1970s stuff which is quite good. After that, though, it really *is* bad.

6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I actually like "rock trilogy" (Crest of a Knave - Rock Island - Catfish Rising) very much. It is different from "classic" stuff, but pretty good on its own.

seed_drill and tootull like this.
  7. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

The crux for me is that despite the slump from A Passion Play to War Child / Minstrel in the Gallery / Too Old to RnR Too Young to Die, I adore Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses....

YMMV ... I really dislike A Passion Play and War Child while I think Minstrel is noteworthy but I just don't like it as much.

I can see why some dislike TOtRTYtD but I thought it was a return to form along the lines of TAAB.

So, in an effort to whittle down the period it is a travesty to me to omit Songs from the Wood as it is one of their top 5 at the very least.

... Still have to say Stand Up to Heavy Horses.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  8. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe that's why I like it. :D

It seemed to cement an attitude and mood that I associated with the band, dark and cynical are two adjectives that come to mind.

pexie likes this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I only got into Jethro Tull in recent years, since I am a Steven Wilson Fan, and his Remixing their Albums and the Nice Book Box Sets got me interested to explore their Music. I really like 'Aqualung', 'Benefit', 'Minstrel in the Gallery' and 'Stand Up' from these Book Box Sets the most(well 'Benefit' did not get the Same Nice Book Box Treatment, but a smaller sized Deluxe Set, but hoping it will get a Book Box Set Release in the Future). Not into 'Folk Rock', but bought the Book Box Sets for 'Songs From the Wood' and 'Heavy Horses' for at least the Concerts that had Songs from prior Albums, but maybe the actual Albums will grow on me a little over time.

That being said about Steven Wilson's Remix Work on the JT Catalog, I think the most money I ever spent on a CD(well 2 CD Set), was for a Like New 'Living in the Past'(MFSL Ultradisc) as even topped the money I spent for a New Copy of 'Songs in the Key of Life'-Stevie Wonder(Audio Fidelity Mastered by KG), but the 'Living in the Past' MFSL Ultradisc(NM or Like New) must be rare, as copies I see always sell for over $100, but have not checked in a while. I really like that Double Album, as much as their Studio Albums I listed earlier in this post.

I also bought NM Copies of the MFSL Ultradisc versions for 'Thick as a Brick' and 'Stand Up'. Also, bought the DCC Versions mastered by our Host for 'Aqualung' and 'Original Masters' and the Germany CCD 1044 version for 'Aqualung'(a Good Price Value that that version as an alternate to the DCC version if that is priced too high for interested Fans of that Album in CD).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  10. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I'm going with the consensus (?) of This Was through Stormwatch. Not every album is of equal value of course. Never really been crazy about Warchild or Too Old to Rock n Roll... but there's still good songs on those LPs. I don't mind Passion Play but still think the chateau disaster tapes would have made for a better, more listener-friendly album and Stormwatch, though no classic, is still better than any eighties Tull offering.

But I wouldn't be without any of the '68 - '79 albums though.

Leslie K Crosby and pexie like this.
  11. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident

I really like "A Passion Play", plus it has overall amazing sound, almost as good as "Thick As A Brick". These two are the best sounding Tull LPs, in my experience.

Leslie K Crosby and yesstiles like this.
  12. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

I like Aqualung and particularly Thick as a Brick, but while I enjoy the occasional track in isolation from their other records, I can't really listen to any of their other albums start to finish. I've tried multiple times with albums such as A Passion Play (which, sadly, I find to be a bit of a slog) and Songs from the Wood (which I know is really popular amongst Tull fans), but it's just not happened for me. I have all the time in the world for the M.U. singles collection, though!

13. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure I would have latched onto Thick As A Brick or A Passion Play if it wasn't for the fact that a popular local NY cover band (Rat Race Choir) was doing this material in clubs in the 70s. Seeing/hearing it live like that helped sell me on it in a way that just hearing it on the radio likely would not have.

14. Leslie K Crosby

Leslie K Crosby Forum Resident

Like I said earlier, from This Was to Stormwatch, to me, is their 'GOLDEN' period, but the ultra highlight of the era would have to be Thick As A Brick....it is a musical masterpiece that cannot be beat. To me, a day without it is like a day without life.

workhorse and Pete Puma like this.
  15. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident

I could listen to "Thick As A Brick" side 1 any day, no exception. I rarely get the urge to flip to side 2 after finishing the first side -- the emotional impact is enormous, I feel drained as the final echoes keep blasting and closing side 1.

16. boe

boe Forum Resident

I’ve probably posted this sentiment before, but it’s really a shame that the TAAB tour wasn’t properly filmed / recorded - especially after the album was at the top of the charts and audiences were primed to hear the entire album from start to finish at the start the concert. That was crazy. How many times have audiences been revved to hear an artist’s new album in toto before they get a single song from earlier albums?

mike s in nyc likes this.
  17. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

I love everything from This Was to Stormwatch, this is the golden period as far as I'm concerned.

razerx likes this.
  18. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I'm one of those crazy people who isn't into classic 70's rock music that much (funk/soul/jazz guy here) but I love The Beatles, The Doors, The Stones, 60's Kinks and some of The Who (I've never thought they have made that "classic album" though). I think The Move are one of the best bands of their time, especially the singles, also love Pink Floyd up until The Final Cut. Queen I've explored but ultimately don't like very much outside the singles. Love Bowie too, which I know isn't really rock. And sorry I still don't like Led Zeppelin or Fleetwood Mac, I've tried.

Now it's Jethro Tull's turn and admittedly I'd only heard "Song for Jeffery" from the Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus. I'm now 40 years old and only now exploring this band, listening to This Was to Aqualung has been a revelation, what great songs and musicianship. For some reason I thought they were some folk band like Fairport Convention.

I got to Thick As A Brick but that sadly outstayed it's welcome so I guess I'll go for the 1968-1972 era. Of course there are some great tracks after and even good albums, thought Stormwatch was their Some Girls in many ways. But ultimately it's been a joy to discover this band and listening to all this has been a hoot.

Right, Genesis next...

yesstiles likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listened to the Christmas Album recently. It's really good!

moodyxadi and Norco74 like this.
  20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes it is. Found it in a used music store, Tull bin section, for $4 last year. :D

21. I've attended the Montreal show from 04-14. It was amazing. Yet the music mag photos documenting the fall North American tour always left me the impression that it was a wilder and a better honed TaaB perhaps than in the spring. Plus they played the incredible new Château d'Hérouville sessions material on top of it!

Anyone seen (or heard) both tours and can comment re. the relative quality of the shows and TaaB performances?

22. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Stand Up to A Passion Play. You can make a strong case for stopping at Thick as a Brick, but A Passion Play is my favorite Jethro Tull album. So I’m making an exception.

yesstiles likes this.
  23. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Stand Up is my favorite Tull album and I like Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses more than Benefit, A Passion Play, War Child or Minstrel.

That said, Too Old, does interrupt the flow, and, other than the two singles, I'm not that big on War Child. Or A Passion Play, for that matter.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

mine:
    Stand Up
    Benefit
    Aqualung
    Thick As A Brick

workhorse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.