Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yeah, I do not like Folk-Rock, but bought SFTW & HH for the Concerts, which included Songs from their earlier Albums, ad would feel like having a hole in this collection. Have to admit, that after streaming 'This Was' a few times recently that it is a little too Blues-Rock for my Taste, so not sure if I will buy that Book Box Set yet but it does look nice.

2. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

You’ll be sorry if you wait until it’s US$280

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the new mix, or the complete package (an album does feel better when the physical package is nice) or both, but listening to Heavy Horses now, and it's much better than I recall from hearing it years ago.
    As I mentioned earlier, felt the same about "Too Old" as well, probably more so. With that one, I was more like "where has this album been all my life?"
    Of Tull's first 11 albums, I think Passion Play is the only one I don't care for, but I think even the box set might change my mind.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Looks like I need to get one of these seeing as how my Aqualung box from 2011 seems to have come up missing. That's what I get for renting rooms out though. Do you have a link?

And didn't the 2011 version have a Blu-ray in it? Wow. That's a loss for sure.

tinnox likes this.
  5. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

It was stated earlier that they made a mistake with the picture it’s for the Steve Wilson vinyl release of Aqualung which by the way looks fantastic saw it at my local

Plan9 likes this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I love that one mostly for the Chateau stuff ~ at times maybe not Ian's most compelling lyrics, but musically the band is firing on all cylinders, seems like their brilliance was just effortless at that stage. Still haven't grabbed the Too Old box, but did get the single-cd TV performance, and yeah, it was a lost gem for me.

Some really nice bonus tracks with Heavy Horses, too.

Dr. Bogenbroom likes this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I like the bonus material ( on A Passion Play better than the original album
    I like the bonus material (Chateau tapes) on A Passion Play better than the original album

8. AJ Jeffrey

AJ Jeffrey Forum Resident

I may have missed any earlier comment ... if so apologies.

Broadford Bazzar (orig: Nightcap) and Blues Instrumental (orig: 20 years box) appear to be from the Heavy Horses sessions.

Any thoughts on their exclusion or are they from later sessions?

9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

They are from later sessions.

10. AJ Jeffrey

AJ Jeffrey Forum Resident

So two more for the Stormwatch set?

tootull and Doctor Flang like this.
  11. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Yes, indeed!

tootull likes this.
  12. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I found a copy of New Shoes Edition at a local store today for under 30 dollars. The live show doesn't sound very good. Compared to other 40+ year old live concerts (Zappa) this Tull sounds rather puny and compressed.

13. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Not sure about compressed (I think the DR is quite good) but somehow I find that Jakszyk tends to underrepresent bass and treble in his mixes...

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

IMO the Berne concert sounds like a board tape or FM broadcast from that era, listenable but it seems that with a 24 track source it should be better. Maybe someday Jakko will give his side of it in a q&a session.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

The bass guitar sounds fine to me, but the recording sounds kinda flat. Not enough dynamics.

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’d much rather have it in its current form than not have it at all!

17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

My term for it is that he used a lot of “dull glue”.
    I’ve had to eq and then tame sibilance with some de-essing to enjoy his mixes. It really does make a big difference.

showtaper and JulesRules like this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes with a sympathetic mastering they'd be better.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  19. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Did I buy this thing?

I don't think I bought this.

I HAVEN'T BOUGHT THIS YET!

:faint:

JulesRules likes this.
  20. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

What are you waiting for IMO it’s well worth the money.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  21. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I was a year behind on the Stand Up issue too. I always intend to pay attention around the release date, then, inevitably space it.
    I'm not waiting any longer. As soon as I realized my mistake, I ordered! :) Bummed to find there's not the 20yrs version of Moths though on it.

tinnox likes this.
  22. Don Beveridge

Don Beveridge Well-Known Member

Listen to the New Shoes version of Moths: now there's a cat meow in the bridge lol

23. I finally went through the CDs of the set (can't use the DVDs at the moment). The remixed album content didn't wow me as much as SFtW remix. I can't tell why though, and can't even compare it to anything, so I asmit that's not a very good critique to say the least... Maybe it's the Maison Rouge recording as opposed to the previous album's recording location?

The outtake material is excellent, as always, though still a notch below SFtW, for my taste.

The in-concert remix overall isn't very satisfying... Why GUITAR pieces such as "Minstrel..." have Martin Barre so low in the mix is beyond me... And aren't the respective keyboard set positions supposed to be Palmer stage right and Evans stage left? They're inverted here. Unless I'm missinformed, and they were actually interchangeable during the tour?..

Six Bachelors likes this.
  24. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

[​IMG]

Dr. Bogenbroom and Neonbeam like this.
  25. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

The remix sounds fine to my ears, better than original mix.
    But the surround mix is GREAT. I feel that this 6 piece lineup is perfect fit for surround. There are many things going on (and even orchestral stuff in addition to band's various instruments) that I can digest in spectacular way in 5.1. ^^

...now...I got feeling that weather's on the change...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.