Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

how can a mix that is drenched in reverb and delay have power ?
    For me that mix has no power as it is washed out and swimming.

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I don't like the reverb and delay on 25th at all. I think it has more to do with the guitar sound. It's a bit too nice. I guess that is the style Peter Mew liked to mix, as his mix of the MSG show is pretty similiar.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

From memory, the 25th Carnegie Hall disc had a lot of the "transient - left echo - right echo" effect, particularly on the vocals. It didn't even sound close to natural, but was very popular as a mixing style at that time.

4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Same as on A Little Light Music. It's fine when it's subtle but it sounds out of place on a recording from the 60s/70s.

Doctor Flang and John Buchanan like this.
  5. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

The 25th Carnegie Hall disc was mixed my IA, the version on Stand Up 2010 by Peter Mew.

Keith V likes this.
  6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Broadford Bazaar. One of my favourite Tull tracks. Can understand why it didn't fit in with the album at the time, but so glad to hear it years later. Wonderful lyric, both humourous and evocative.

Runicen likes this.
  7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

When you break it down, manure isn't so bad. It is "newer" , with a "ma" in front of it.

SirMarc, FVDnz and DesertChaos like this.
  8. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Have to wait a whole year damn lol

9. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

All of the above still wouldn't warrant another Benefit purchase from me. If no alt takes could be found (a la Bouree), I'd go for some stripped down, work-in-progress type mixes. Such as With You There To Help Me with a single-track vocal and no backwards tracks, To Cry You a Song pre- some of the guitar overdubs, etc. Not really Wilson's mission statement on these rereleases, but it might make sense for Benefit given its level of studio experimentation (in addition to the dearth of outtakes).

They could even include the live Play In Time for historical purposes, even if audiophiles would tear their shirts : )

10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Even if Carnegie Hall doesn't end up with Benefit and Tanglewood possibly taking its place, maybe the two live tracks off Carnegie 'By Kind Permission Of' and 'Dharma for One' from the Living in the Past compilation, could end up as bonus tracks on This Was. I just want to complete my LitP remix compilation lol. ;)

11. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Heavy Horses....The Furrow Tracks

The Hud likes this.
  12. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Good old Ma Newer, she was a wonderful woman!

Runicen and The Hud like this.
  13. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

More Horses:
    Jethro Tull Heavy Horses 1978 Album Vintage Promo Cardboard Display Set 19" Tall
    [​IMG]

14. Kim Olesen

Awesome creatures those heavy horses.

15. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

Why remix it in the first place?
    Unlike the previous albums here the original mix is just fine. It would benefit from a more musical mastering but that's all.

16. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

It's not a bad mix but I don't like the boxy sounding late 70s drums. I didn't think Minstrel would need a remix either but the result was a huge improvement over the original. So I'm sure HH is gonna be great too.

17. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Bursting Horses - the Pinata Edition

PJayBe likes this.
  18. Kim Olesen

While Songs From The Wood was already one of the best sounding 70s rock albums (and SW managed to improve on it), HH horses never sounded good to me. That strange ADT that is on the snare is just a bad mixing choice which i hope SW will not repeat.

19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I bought the German single (which, I believe, lists the live "Sweet Dream" as the A-side and "Stitch..." as the B-side); it has the long version of "...Stitch..."

Because the short version of "A Stitch in Time" is a simple edit of the long version, I don't think it would be necessary to include both versions unless they run out of bonus material and simply have to fill out disc space. Also, it would presumably be a remix (unless the multis are missing), so it wouldn't be a case of including original single versions for historical accuracy. I'd just remix the long version and leave it at that; addicts who need the short version can recreate it with a couple of easy edits and an early fade.

JulesRules likes this.
  20. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Take the tracks from the Stand up reissue.

21. Kim Olesen

To my recollection The Benefit set included both variations if 17 even when though they are remixes. So there is a precedence.

22. mati

mati Active Member

The Benefit set included two remixed versions of Teacher but one version of 17 ;)

Kim Olesen likes this.
  23. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

I beg to differ. There are three different mixes of 17 on Stand Up. The original mono mix (6:11), the original stereo mix (5:31) and the SW remix (6:20). So, no precedence. Including the mono edit from 20th anniversary box into SU deluxe would have been a precedence.

On a different subject: Wikipedia says that the M.U. sampler contains a different mix of Aqualung. True?
    M.U. – The Best of Jethro Tull - Wikipedia

24. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

There's more here: Aqualung (song) - Wikipedia
    An alternative mix of "Aqualung", with echo on Anderson's vocals and the opening guitar riff played twice instead of once, appears on the compilation M.U. – The Best of Jethro Tull (1976). This version also has different acoustic guitar and vocal parts during the second part of the song ("sun streaking cold"), but then reverts to the regular mix starting with "Aqualung my friend".

And here it is:

Wow, you can really hear the difference, especially starting at 1:03.

As a side note, The word is "precedent," not "precedence." I don't mean this in a mean-spirited way (if I were using a word wrong, believe me, I'd want people to point it out). I see and hear this particular error so often and I just wish people in general knew the difference.

cageyc and mr.steelydan like this.
  25. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

The version of Aqualung on MU vinyl is the 4-channel mix on the CH4 Aqualung vinyl.

mr.steelydan and Catbirdman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.