Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

But you get the entire alternate TV recording of the album on this one...

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I know they are dual layer dvd's, just wondering how much space is actually used for the content.

3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I was a bit disappointed with the "Moths" video. The book says both videos were shot the same day, but while "Heavy Horses" shows the whole band miming the song, "Moths" shows Ian sitting by a fireplace, alternately prodding the fire, sipping wine, and smoking a cigarette. If the whole band was there, why not include them? Plus it sort of bugs me that he keeps almost taking a drag off the ciggie, or almost sipping the wine, and then stops himself to sing the next line, as though he forgot the next line was coming or decided on the spur of the moment to add to what he had just sung. Sort of the equivalent of the guy looking up from his desk - "oh, hello, I didn't see you there!" Or Stephen Colbert's version, which was something like "oh! Hello! I forgot I host a TV show for a moment."

"Heavy Horses," meanwhile, was filmed in a barn, with John Evan in the hay loft, upstairs from everybody else (and dressed like a scarecrow). So you see him and Ian for most of the first verse, then the camera follows Ian down to the ground level, and I believe that's the last we see of John Evan. John Glascock, cigarette in mouth, already looks a little haggard.

Jimbo62 and Keith V like this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That was my point, both around 7Go. All content wouldn't fit on a single DVD9 unless you reduce the resolution or compress the stereo mix.

Galeans likes this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Early music promo videos tended to be pretty naff. Just a few years later with MTV you got great little films.

duneman likes this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Repeating myself; Yet another out of this world fantastic set in the best re-issue series in the history of recorded music.

And yes i am being serious all the way

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I sent an email last night to the contact listed on Parlophone records website (Managing Director?) to ask if they knew about this issue and could explain what it was etc etc. Have not heard anything back yet (and may never but figured worth a shot).

8. And it’s awesome!

Galeans likes this.
  9. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

"Strawberry Fields Forever" was a pretty great little film, of course....:ed: Though your point is generally well taken.

Plan9 likes this.
  10. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yeah, no beef with that....

Plan9 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  11. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Have you ever bought a set from the Mosaic jazz label?

12. Thepridg

Thepridg Well-Known Member

So how is the Berne show sounding compared to Bursting Out? Similar or much improved?

Despite the “studio sweetening” on BO , i always found the audio was lacking, especially in the low-end department.

13. Please keep up posted. :tiphat:

slipkid likes this.
  14. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nice. Can’t wait for the delivery :righton:

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bowie had some good videos in the 70's. I remember there was a compilation of ELO videos and a reviewer in Q described it as "bearded men in film studios, miming."

Six Bachelors likes this.
  16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Berne recording sounds a little dry compared to Bursting Out - less reverb, less audience noise. Others have commented on the relative lack of treble on the Berne discs, which sometimes makes the recording sound a little bit muffled. I don't know if that's the tapes, or Jakszyk's mixing choices. But I'm definitely enjoying the Berne show.

17. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Quit complaining! it's great. Someone earlier in this thread (can't find at the moment) said it's a whole new dimension to this music. Yessiree. Best thing I've heard in some time. At least since Songs From The Wood... (hah) So much depth. Compliments to all involved, including the unsung engineers. They did this for us!

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

19. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Berne is a 24-track recording and "Bursting Out" is mostly 8-track. So for one thing, it's a much better mix and the drums especially sound a lot better.

20. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

There may be a better one, but I haven't found it! It's been a real treat for Tull fans.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Berne sounds superb, and is precisely the sort of offering we should always be treated to: complete, unedited show with no overdubs.

electronicpaperboy likes this.
  22. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

This set entered the German album charts at no 4.

electronicpaperboy and tootull like this.
  23. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yes.....they are quite good.....but never as cheap as these ones.....

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Correct but one will never regret buying from them.

I must admit that the Jethro Tull are highly competitive price vs content. Looks like Marillion is closely following as well.

Plan9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.