Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

In hard times, I love the verses in the 2nd version more but the chorus in 1st version more. They should have combined the 2. Damn lol

2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Apparently it's me. He got me banned once cos I named my least fave 10 tull songs of the 70s lol

JulesRules likes this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I didn't slog through all 80 pages of this post.

Nonetheless, does anyone else find the Jacko Jakszyk mix of the Bern concert somewhat harsh, unmusical (and for me) hard to listen to? I haven't listened to all of it. Presumably it's the same concert Live Bursting Out was drawn from. Anyway, the intro on that version of Locomotive Breath has always been a real high point for me. Evan and Barre play off each other so beautifully. Barre's intensity is just... well words escape me.

LBO is a bit more compressed overall (DR=9 compared to Jakszyk's DR=14). Normally that would be a negative for me, but in this case I think the material benefits from a bit of compression. LBO is also noticeably warmer. More importantly, I find the Jakszyk mix overly extended in the high end such that Barlow's cymbals sound thin and annoying. The whole mix feels really distant almost to the point that the instruments could have been recorded in separate rooms.

Anyone else have similar feelings?

Norco74 likes this.
  4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I find it needs to be played loud, maybe that's a good thing.

porieux and Atmospheric like this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not much of Bursting Out was taken from the Berne show. So it is in effect a whole new JT live album.

6. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Would have been cool if they could have included Bursting Out in this set too.

7. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

so far i think thick, aqualung/locomotive is all I can tell might be from berne on bursting out

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Maybe there will be a Bursting Out Deluxe Set (I know, unlikely)......who says the series is studio albums only?

Any video footage of that tour??

9. Kim Olesen

It is specified in the book. To my recollection none of those were from Berne. It was mainly the songs centered around the Flute solo. And even then it was only parts of those songs.

10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

A lot of people have been moaning about the Berne show being redundant in this set because of it’s similarity to Bursting Out!

Who'sTommy likes this.
  11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

12. jblock

jblock Senior Member

It's a winner release for me just with the remix of One Brown Mouse. The drums sound so much better and drive the song like never before, particularly the second half of the tune.

13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

According to the book, "most of the Flute Solo, Cross-Eyed Mary, Too Old..., Aqualung and Locomotive Breath." But a few other tracks sound like they ended up on Bursting Out too, at least in part, as well as some song intros (which, of course, could have been spliced with other performances).

DaverJ likes this.
  14. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Although, again, I'm not convinced "Cross-Eyed Mary" is from Berne on "Bursting Out". Drums and vocals are definitely different.

15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

That really helped.

16. milco

milco Forum Resident

Beltane ROCKS!

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Was hoping they would give the drums more volume and high frequency. Not sure if it was the recording or the type of drum kit which gives it the flat sound though

18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Okay, since no one's mentioned it, I love the studio Quatrain.

A nice set of bonus tracks that continue the flavor of the album. I like Botanic Man a lot more than Ian obviously does!

19. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Big disappointment, though ~ their brandy glasses are only filled with Coca Cola on the back cover! Sounds like it was even more disappointing for Martin :D

20. Kim Olesen

Not me :) A complete JT concert. Total win :)

showtaper, anth67 and Kiss73 like this.
  21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Me too!! Never did buy Bursting Out - I'm not big at buying live albums, however on occasion you listen to one like the concert included in this set and then I wonder why the I don't.

Kim Olesen and anth67 like this.
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Botanic man theme would have been a good album ending. Not much of a fan of weathercock. Too Irish :D

23. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

I don't really get the 'Irish' you hear?

24. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

It's either Irish or Scottish. The way Ian sings, the style of flute, the style of the drums and the melody sound completely of that part of the world to me

25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

From what I’ve heard of his mixes so far, this is par for the course. :shake:

JulesRules and showtaper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.