Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What's the best deal?

2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The one that is the right weight, or slightly over..

Six Bachelors likes this.
  3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with the live mix. It’s obviously not the same recording as Bursting out

4. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Reading the HH book, we can already have a good idea of what will de included as extras on Stormwatch:

4 wd Low Ratio
    Sweet Dram 78 version

+
    Stich in Time
    Bradford Bazzar
    Crossword
    Blues Istrumental
    and maybe Apocalypse

Pete Puma likes this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Kelpie, King Henrys Madrigal and perhaps Mayhem Maybe too.

Crush Everything and Pete Puma like this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Yes indeed.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I agree about "Kelpie" and "King Henry's Madrigal," but wasn't "Mayhem Maybe" from the Broadsword sessions? (Unless there was an earlier attempt?)

Possibly we could hear an early version of "Dark Ages" with Glascock on bass; the sessions are shown in a documentary that's out there somewhere. It got as far as Ian adding vocals.

I'm not sure we'll get "4WD" or "Sweet Dream." Those are listed as backing tracks, and Ian has not been releasing backing tracks, with the exception of some of the Chateau recordings from 1972. Otherwise we'd have "Early in the Morning" and "The Game" from the Stand Up sessions and "Pancake Domesday" from the Aqualung sessions. Also, "4WD" and "Sweet Dream" were taped in June 1978 at the same time as "Quatrain" and "Botanic Man" - both included on Heavy Horses.

I suspect that "Sweet Dream" was simply audio sweetening for Bursting Out, rather than an attempt at a full-fledged remake. It's also conceivable that the tape marked "Sweet Dream" was the pre-taped intro to that song, as heard on the Madison Square Garden concert. It's not really "Sweet Dream" as such, but it definitely incorporates themes and elements from it and was clearly intended to segue into the live performance of the song. The cameras weren't running at the beginning of the MSG show, but judging from the applause I imagine that the band members were taking the stage, one by one, as the tape played.

Kim Olesen and Pete Puma like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember reading in one interview that they had recording sessions before the U.S. tour of spring 1979, but when they came back from the tour they decided to discard everything and start over. Maybe when the Stormwatch box comes out we'll find out how much they did in those sessions, whether the tapes exist and whether the early "Dark Ages" was part of it.

ParloFax and Pete Puma like this.
  9. SJB

Even earlier, the Heavy Horses book says that Stormwatch sessions took place in August and September 1978, but it provides no further details. Presumably Glascock was involved in these earliest sessions.

ParloFax likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Has the Ian or Steven already said there would be a deluxe Stormwatch, or is that that assumed to be the case?

11. SJB

From a 2017 interview:
    HRAC Exclusive: Steven Wilson Talks Hi-Res, 'To the Bone' & 5.1 Mixing Aspirations - Hi Res Audio Central
    Would you do Stormwatch in 5.1, if Ian Anderson asked you to do it?
    Wilson: I would. In terms of future Jethro Tull — hopefully Heavy Horses early next year, and Stormwatch hopefully sometime late next year. After that, I honestly can’t say.

12. DreamTull

DreamTull Well-Known Member

Stormwatch in 2018? cool!

JulesRules, Todd W. and sound chaser like this.
  13. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Apocalypse might be like the Old aces die hard of Stormwatch. I heard it from the recent Dee Palmer album and it sounds pretty good and goes for almost 7 minutes. So most likely the song was recorded back around 78

14. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Also, there was another track from Dee’s album which included elegy. So elegy might have an extended version as well as A stitch in time

15. Daniel Falaschi

Hmmm...when IA nixed some outakes, it was done purely on a poor performance basis, not because it was a backing track per se.
    Hence, let´s don´t rule out 4wd or Sweet Dream.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From Tull's tour booklet I am understanding This Was is later this year and Stormwatch presumably in 2019.

tootull likes this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The 40th Anniversary "This Was" is pretty good. I wish they'd just move on to "Stormwatch".

18. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am struggling not to order it! Is there a definitive confirmation that ´This was’ will be remixed?

19. Daniel Falaschi

"mixed to stereo and surround by SW..." means re-mixed.

JulesRules, tootull and Norco74 like this.
  20. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

21. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nice. Only 8-9 months until Stormwatch hopefully :cool:

22. They have stuck pretty close to the original month of release.Stormwatch was released October/November.That makes it 19-20 months.

Bonddm likes this.
  23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

That’ll give ‘em time to slot in a reissue of TAAB in the interim!

JulesRules, DreamTull and Alan57 like this.
  24. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I though Wilson mentioned it will come the same year as horses remix but at the end of the year.

sound chaser likes this.
  25. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I've done my altered track list for my ipod. Ducks for cover :laugh:

and the mouse police never sleeps
    acres wild
    no lullaby
    moths
    rover
    one brown mouse
    living in these hard times 2
    heavy horses
    botanic man theme

living in these hard times 1(bonus)

I added botanic man theme because I only 1 minute extra to get to 40 minutes and it's a nice little ending :cool:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.