DCC Archive Jethro Tull issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

To start, I finally found a new, sealed DCC Aqualung to go with my DCC Original Masters. They are, of course, the best Tull CDs that I own.

I was fortunate enough to pick up Living in the Past on MFSL UD2. It also sounds very good, but comparing similar tracks such as Songs From the Wood, it becomes apparent that the DCC is better mastered. For example, the voices sound much more natural (real) on the DCC version. And the "MFSL smile" becomes apparent while on the DCC, no such "enhancing" is, ummm, *required?*.

Apart from taking out a second mortgage and going for the eBay bendover on the MFSL's such as Stand Up, etc. and trying to fund the rarer UD1 versions of everything, I was wondering what else is commercially available.

I know to avoid the grey "20th anniversary" Aqualung (that advice was posted a few times previously.... unluckily, I already had it
    :( ).

Does anyone have any comments about the Japanese papersleeves? Are they better than North American releases? Are they HDCD? Should I try to hunt them down or wait for the *potentially* similar sounding North American releases?

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, how I wish that DCC could do the Tull catalogue! Maybe one day if Steve and DCC is persistant...! And if ("if" added in for clarity) IA is looking for a SACD mastering house.... :D

Sckott, I wish that Buffalo was NOT between me and Newbury Comics! ;) You lucky guy!

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Gary ]

2. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Paper Sleeves: I have TAAB, and my quick impression was the upper range was a bit frazzled. Let me get back to you on that.

Aqualung: Is it me or does it sound better than Original Masters?

3. Gary

It's you. :D

Just kidding! I think you're right, Aqualung sounds better that Original Masters to me. You can hear the differences on the different songs from different master tapes. I'm not sure how you can explain that - is it the age of the recording? Different studio? Engineer?

Only Steve knows for sure!

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Does the sound of Aqualung and TAAB differ from the 25th versions or are they just repackaged? :confused:

5. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Yeah, stay away from the PS of TAAB. Very disappointing. I don't expect DCC quality, but it's very poorly done just the same. MoFi might be the way to go.

BTW, I think read here that AQ was remastered with different equipment than OM.

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

According to this month's ICE, EMI/Capitol is going to be rolling out 24-bit remastered versions of Tull's catalog, starting with the first three albums (Benefit, Stand Up, This Was) on January 8. Each title will be augmented with bonus tracks (most of which previously appeared on Living in the Past), but there's no mention of who did the remaster or whether it's been No-Noised.

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The first 3 are already available in the UK

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Gary said:
    >> And IA is looking for a SACD mastering house.... <<

Gary, where did you learn this little nugget? Any more news? Last I heard, in an interview in S&V IA seemed nonplussed with SACD and DVD-A both. But this was about a year ago and he may have come around.

9. Gary

GregM, sorry, I was just wishing upon a star. My speculation. I have no information about that at all ....

:(

Sorry to mislead the forum.

10. Unknown

Unknown Guest

All Jethro Tull remasters were newly done by Pete Mew!!!

11. Gary

Fireblade, you should borrow Pig's quote "But you come with tidings of grief ..." :(

Is there any hope they are not as bad as the Bowie 24bit remasters? LOL!

But thanks for the warning. It's Mofi for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.