Jethro Tull "Minstrel in the Gallery" expanded April 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

and I love the remix of Summerday Sands.
    I think SW excells, when he makes a mix that is not very faithful to the original mix and just mixes the way he would do it, like he did with Glory Row or Pan Dance. This is the case with Summerday Sands too.
    I always liked the song but found it a little bit... not bland but maybe flat.
    On the remix much more is going on, some tracks that were not used in the original mix are used here and the new mix is just the opposite from flat, it is full of power, or in better words it just has the power it needs.
    I relly love the new mix.

Grace btw. is not the album take, at least not the vocal track.

2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

For those who hae already got the set...would you post some pictures? Thank you.

qtrules likes this.
  3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

FVDnz, dougb222, Bonddm and 2 others like this.
  4. Yes. Their status codes are often misleading. I cancelled an order yesterday (to reorder again with the discount code) and got an email today that my first order was cancelled because the items were "out of stock". My preordered Minstrel... status is also "backordered".

Plan9 likes this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I had been on the fence between the single CD and the deluxe, but for the deep discount deal, hard to pass on the deluxe. Thanks for the tip. I would have never thought to look on deep discount for a new release.

jsayers likes this.
  6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

If deepdiscount is backordered, I got mine from HDWow for $22.99.

7. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Mine is backordered (from Deep Discount).

Rick A.

8. folkfreak

and what did you have for breakfast ?

izgoblin, freemanl and trevaaar like this.
  9. folkfreak

My set arrived yesterday

10. folkfreak

But i was not at home

11. folkfreak

Hey, my postman laid the post onto a chair beneath the door.
    Glad I ordered from Amazon. They used the right postservice

12. folkfreak

Maybe next time I order my stuff from elswhere.
    But I am not sure.

13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Translated:
    A classic that leaves no wish unfulfilled

After last "Warchild" and "A Passion Play" by Jethro Tull were re-released in luxury versions, is now the 1975 album "Minstrel In The Gallery" on the series. As with its predecessors, the fan can expect a great up canned book with a total of four disks and 80 page booklet. On the CD there is a new stereo mix of the original album from Steven Wilson and a complete show from 1975, recorded in Paris and remixed by KING CRIMSON guitarist Jaakko Jakszyk, the DVDs contain the usual 5.1 mix and the original LP and quad mix of studio album, and a short film and a 5.1 version of the concert. The book has once again a lot of pictures, a tour schedule, memories of band leader Ian Anderson and other witnesses, so again no fan of Jethro Tull is likely to be disappointed.

But now the music in detail. "Minstrel In The Gallery" shows Jethro Tull after the sweeping progressive rock excesses of "Thick As A Brick", "A Passion Play" and the orchestral bombast of "Warchild" concerning the sound compact again. Folk and Baroque are more present in the compositions and the guitars have regained a more dominant role in the overall sound. Already with the title song, the fantastic 'Cold Wind To Valhalla' and the dreamy 'Black Satin Dancer' sets the album Los outstanding. In these three songs put everything Tull today makes it an exception in the rock music: Great melodies, instrumental brilliance, lyrical wit and a unique, English atmosphere. It continues with considerably more playful compositions, then clearly look back in the 'Baker St. Muse' pieces on "A Passion Play" times. Here the band is again progressive, short sections of different types are woven into a larger whole. With 'Grace', the regular album is decided, but there are still a number of bonus tracks, most of which are previously unreleased alternative versions of popular hits are Tull.

On the second CD a great time document is represented by the concert of Paris. Jethro Tull here presents itself in excellent form, hits the mark 'Wind Up' stand alongside pieces from the complex "A Passion Play", which with the great 'Critique Oblique', 'Bungle In The Jungle' and 'Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day is represented '. The classic 'My God' and 'Locomotive Breath' be extended to each medleys, in which a very playful band at their best shows and makes improvisations and solos for enthusiasm. Is also time for announcements and humorous interludes and so I can only ascertain that this concert would be reason alone enough to buy the rerelease. But along with the exemplary presentation, the wealth of information, images and text, and the successful remix applies to "Minstrel In The Gallery" which was already on the last luxury editions of Jethro Tull: A must-have for all fans of the band and another monument for one of the most extraordinary and best rock bands times.

Rating:
    10:00

Editor:
    Raphael Päbst
    http://translate.google.ca/translat...sary_La_Grand__Edition,26054.html&prev=search

14. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

vinyl and 4 disc set ordered

bull moose of course...best price with free shipping

15. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Mine arrived today, along with the ELP Trilogy set. So much value packed into these, as the review translated above so amply demostrates. Many thanks to all who make these happen, and may there please be more to come!

fredblue likes this.
  16. tootull

17. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Not everybody will be totally thrilled (personally looking forward to it, I'm up for any 'new' Tull, especially new SW 5.1 remixes!) but "Too Old To Rock N Roll.." is most likely next (if the tantalising bit at the end of the essay in the book in this one is anything to go by!) :)

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

19. tootull

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm waiting for this release to appear in a local record shop to buy it immediately.

21. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

The BBC version of Aqualung on Disc 1 is the best version of the song I've ever heard.

nano nano likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

To Bullmoose's credit I got an email from them today saying that there had been a pricedrop and I will only be billed $27. Still more expensive than some of the other prices quoted here, but nice that they bothered to do this, with no prompting/complaining from me. And ironically, the set arrived in my mailbox today as well.

23. TOTRnR rocks!

Galeans and fredblue like this.
  24. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

The Wilson 5.1 remix is very well-done. I like it very much. Bass is significantly improved.

fredblue likes this.
  25. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

A few dropouts on DVD for BBC tracks in stereo. Oppo 105.

Anybody else?

Bummer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.