Jethro Tull "Minstrel in the Gallery" expanded April 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Curious - why is this unwelcome? I know he took a lot of flak for the Brain Salad Surgery reissue - is it his surround work and/or the mastering?

2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

But the best news is that Ian himself is willing to finish the reissues of the 70's albums. That´s not bad news at all.
    My greatest wish is a Heavy Horses reissue, maybe including some additional live material from the Bursting Out tour.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

completely agree.....would love an entire show (warts and all) from 77 or 78 with video, that band was incredible. you can't beat the incredible energy from that version of thick from MSG, perfect in every way

4. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Happy to see some love for Minstrel! My favourite Tull album too, and I've been quietly hoping for it since 2011. The SW stereo remix is what I've been holding out for. Can't wait to hear his work on Barlow's drums in particular.

5. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

It's because Steve Wilson's work on the Tull releases so far have been excellent. I would say his mastering/ surround work is one of the best if not the standard thus far. I was disappointed with the BSS release. I don't think you can compare the two side by side. I fear that handing over the reins will impact the consistencies of the following releases, which are some of my personal favorites (TOTRR, SFTW, HH, & SW). I will sit back and wait for feedback on the ELP Trilogy release before making any decisions on future purchases on Jakko's work, where as any SW releases are an automatic for me right now.

sound chaser, Geir and Sandinista like this.
  6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

freemanl and Pete Puma like this.
  7. Jeffrey was a lot of fun on stage…he is missed.

8. JAG

I don't think Ian knows that HE isn't Jethro Tull....there is a reason the band and it's popularity started to drop in 1980. Each member brought significant contributions up to that point.

tedhead likes this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Are we gonna get some track previews like on Warchild?
    Still waiting for a price drop on Amazon...

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I would have liked to form an opinion of Jakko as a surround mixer but of course the 5.1 mix of Brain Salad Surgery was "prisoner" of the super-deluxe edition of the album. Having employed SW to do the first two albums, Sony should have been in "conservation of momentum" mode when they put out Brain Salad Surgery but instead they made it easy for SW carpetbaggers like myself to get off the bus.

It makes it far more difficult for someone like Jakko to build a reputation if his work remains unheard for completely arbitrary commercial reasons.

dougb222 and tedhead like this.
  11. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

True. I received the super deluxe BSS as a gift and have listened to the surround, but I realized after the fact that I hadn't muted the TV speakers, so I was getting some duplicated sounds, especially the center channel stuff. Even so, I found a lot to like about it. I'll need to revisit it after a while with the TV muted to hear it properly. However, you can hear some of Jakko's other surround work at a reasonable price on the DVD-Vs of Anathema's Weather Systems (DD only, unfortunately) and Ian Anderson's Homo Erraticus (DTS 96/24, I think, just like the JT DVDs). I don't think I've had a proper listen to either, unfortunately, but I was not overly fond of the mixing as heard through my computer speaker setup (Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 and Creative DDTS-100 decoder/DAC). I think BSS is better, but, again, also not quite a proper listen.

Sordel likes this.
  12. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Excellent news - I personally love that album. I'd be very keen on an expanded edition of Songs From The Wood - especially if it was cleaned up. That being said, I haven't heard the remaster from about 10 years back. I've got one of the Crysallis editions that was released in the late 80's/early 90's.

Ditto the comments regarding Heavy Horses too.

13. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Songs from the Wood is one of the worst Tull remasters. Earbleeding bright and loud.

14. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Argh, that's a shame - to hell with normalising, all it needs is a clearer mix with a little brightening.

I thought that the remaster of Stormwatch sounded pretty good, but I haven't listened to it in a awhile.

15. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Stormwatch is a good remaster.

16. JAG

not the MFSL...wonderful

tootull, jon9091 and tedhead like this.
  17. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Whoa, Amazon.ca is listing it at $58.67 Holy crap!

--
    Rob

18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

This one seems way more expensive than the last few. Maybe it has something to do with the live stuff. Do Tull or Ian Anderson own it? Maybe the other remixer (I forget his name) doubles the fee?

19. Amazon UK is the way to go on this if you live outside US and can't order through Bull Moose.Signifigantly cheaper than other Amazons.Also noticed there has been a 400% increase in Amazon.com postage costs to Australia.Maybe postage is a major part of their profit margin now.

20. Six Bachelors

I pre-ordered from Burning Shed, which, even when expensive, tends to feel like value for money. I have noticed Amazon becoming more expensive for me recently. Postage used to be (comparatively) dirt cheap but with the recent exchange rate drop, it's no better than anywhere else.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Price will drop in due time, as they always do.

Minstrel was remixed by Steven Wilson. The remixers have nothing to do with the price of the final product. :)

22. Six Bachelors

I looked him up: didn't Jakko Jakszyk do the live disc? That's two people to pay.

I only wondered because, even allowing for price drops, this is more than any of the previous reissues when they first went on sale. I've pre-ordered it anyway. Just curious.

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It doesn't pay to preorder anymore. Most of the time it is cheaper after it comes out.

24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have the original Canadian vinyl and an uncompressed CD issue. Think I'll pass on this one.

25. I don't go on to new vinyl issue threads and state that I will pass on it 'cause I am happy with my CD issue -I consider it "bad form". Perhaps you are not the target consumer for surround and stereo remixes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.