Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Kind of / sort of my point. We are the ones who care about what is on our shelves. This little Tull assortment can easily be sold by any of us who has been keeping up on the series for a pretty penny.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My plan is to enjoy it while I'm still here, then my family will reap the rewards of selling what they don't keep.
    Even got a jump on it last year by giving my ex-step daughter all my McCartney, since she loves him, and I never reach for him.

Kim Olesen, TheSeldomSeenKid and SJP like this.
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

And people can buy the Individual CDs with the SW Remix, if someone cannot play the 5.1 Discs, and does not want the Concerts(which is what interested me the most after buying these JT Book Box Sets to explore their Music since the price was good when released for what you get with these Book Box Sets, since I am a Steven Wilson Fan, and was not familiar with the Music of Jethro Tull, except heard the Songs, 'Aqualung' and 'Locomotive Breath' some time in the past 20 years).

I found that I liked 'Benefit', 'Aqualung', 'Minstrel in the Gallery' and 'Stand Up' the most, but the last 3 Box Sets also had Concerts that played Songs from those early Albums(seems like they must have always played 'Aqualung' and 'Locomotive Breath' on their Concert Tours-haha).

Actually, to get some of the better SQ Albums on CD, bought the DCC CDs for 'Aqualung' and 'Original Masters' that were mastered by Our Host. Also, really liked 'Living in the Past' and bought the MFSL Ultradisc CD Version that was Like New Condition and the most I ever paid for a CD(but it is a 2 CDs Set). Also, bought the MFSL Ultradisc for 'Stand Up' and 'Thick as a Brick'(was too late to buy the SW Box Set for that Title, but read there was a mistake and one with a Corrected CD that came out later, so thinking this might be the one Book Box Set that might get a reprinting on it's 50th Anniversary, but who knows:shrug:).

As mentioned before, with the 50th Anniversary this year of 'Benefit', there might be a Deluxe Book Box Set release for it finally(and hopefully with the Carnegie Concert).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

C'mon Chrysalis/Parlophone......do it!

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Same experience for me this past couple weeks. Makes me sick haha.

Matthew Tate, smiley69 and Myke like this.
  6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Saw most of them in a second hand CD shop in Newcastle and tried to keep the missus from seeing how much they were going for.....

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Not sure I understand this post. Did you expect all and sundry to be in awe of a music collection? Why would they be? There are people with sheds full of great woodworking tools, but it's all pretty dull to me - I'm not interested in woodworking. Same with Jewelry, I've seen people with fancy watches and rings, but since jewelry does nothing to me, they could be wearing plastic jewelry from the dollar store (actually, if they were wearing plastic jewelry from the dollar store, I'd be more likely to notice or care). This is all perfectly normal and what you'd expect....

That said - there is a small window of hope for those who missed out. As evidence I hold up King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King. It had a decent box set release that eventually became reasonably valuable. However, the 50th anniversary came around, and boom, they're putting together an even better set.

Without any indication they're planning such games for Tull, I'd say there's a chance they'll either redo the book sets, or release them in a different format, ie. a box for milestone anniversaries in the future. The book sets are quite elaborate, what with the hard covers and the 90 page booklets. However, put out a simple box with the discs and a scaled down booklet, and you could likely still charge twice what the book sets cost originally.

8. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Not to brag or anything but once I saw how much TAAB was going for on the aftermarket, I made sure to pre-order everything. I got 'em all now and if Benefit is redone in book format will snag that as well.

9. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply, as discouraging as it is, I still appreciate it! Hard to pull the trigger at those prices, when they cost a mere fraction upon release. Looks like this forum might be the best place to look, so I'll keep an eye out!

10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

HDTracks still has some expanded albums available for download. (Right now, only the deluxe Too Old... has more than one CD worth of audio). Pricey for downloads, but cheaper than the out-of-print book sets.

This Was (with 6 bonus tracks)
    This Was (50th Anniversary Edition) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Stand Up (with 7 bonus tracks)
    Stand Up (Steven Wilson Remix) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Benefit (5 bonus tracks)
    Benefit | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll . . . deluxe edition (2 CDs worth)
    Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die! (Deluxe) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Songs From The Wood (7 bonus tracks from CD 1, but not the concert)
    Songs From The Wood (40th Anniversary Edition) [The Steven Wilson Remix] | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Heavy Horses (8 bonus tracks but no concert)
    Heavy Horses (Steven Wilson Remix) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Plan9 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...I caved and paid a sick amount. Too two months to arrive from UK (!).

Does sound damn good though.

sound chaser likes this.
  12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Yeah, Ian has often joked about it, saying people would be disappointed if they didn't play "Smoke on the Water" and "Stairway to Heaven" :D Seriously, those are probably the two most well-known Tull songs, so they'd probably get hit by a wave of disappointment if they didn't play those.

13. AJ Jeffrey

AJ Jeffrey Forum Resident

Just a thought...

I was looking back through an old HD's files and happened upon a time coded DVD version of the BBC Sight and Sound 1977.

An escaped file from BBC archives it appears.

The first few minutes show Bob Harris about to introduce the original broadcast and then it cuts to Annie Nightingale introducing a re run.. in relatively poor quality.

Is a factor in the non appearance officially that the BBC has recorded over the original master tape?

PJayBe likes this.
  14. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I've got a cracking quality version of that.

15. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Chunks of the Sight and Sound concert have shown up on CD and home video releases, so I don't think they wiped it. (Maybe a time-coded copy was wiped?) The official explanation - the BBC wanted too much money for the full show - is certainly plausible. Anyway, we got a nearly two-hour complete concert instead of the abridged one-hour BBC show (and the SFTW booklet basically points fans to YouTube for the BBC performance), so I don't think the fans have missed out.

I certainly wouldn't discourage the release of Sight & Sound on DVD/Blu-ray/CD, and I'll buy it if it comes out, but it's not an aching gap in my collection.

16. AJ Jeffrey

AJ Jeffrey Forum Resident

Care to share?

17. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I'll try and find it. All my DVDs are in storage at the moment!!!

18. Smurr1958

Smurr1958 Well-Known Member

Sorry haven’t read all of the info here on the many JT deluxe book sets that have been released, but if I can ask your folks personal favorites of these for those that have them? Definitely would like the Aqualung,(which is not too bad $ wise at discogs), BUT Songs From the Wood seems $ wise out of site! Any personal take on the many releases appreciated-
    Thanks
    Peace y’all

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. My favorites:
    Passion Play -you get almost a whole extra album's worth of material
    Warchild -many quality bonus tracks
    Aqualung -many agree this has the most-improved stereo mix

All the rest are worth getting too if you are a big fan of Jethro Tull.

20. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

My father has all of them so far. They're all pretty good, but the only one I purchased myself, and I consider it the best of the lot, is This Was. I'm not a big remix guy, so I'd be mostly buying them for the original mixes and the books. The This Was set is the only place to get the true original UK stereo mix of the album (a needledrop), plus it also contains the mono mix, the original US stereo mix, and now the 4.1 surround and new stereo mixes. That's five different mixes of the same album. It might have the most official mixes of any album ever.

21. Smurr1958

Thanks for the replies so far. Have been searching many of these! Darn man they must have gone out of print fast or were extremely limited???, as they are freakin costly now! OMG!!!
    Guess I became aware of them a bit late huh!

22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I do recall that I pre-ordered the Songs from the Woods book and I still didn't get one - kept getting "delayed" on me, then after a few months they canceled my order. So yeah, many of these sets were under-produced to begin with.

23. nick99nack

This Was and Heavy Horses are still available on Amazon for $34.98.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Smurr1958

Thanks- saw “Stormwatch” for $30.00 so I did order that one-
    Wasn’t sure about “ heavy horses”? / good? Still might splurge for “Aqualung” on discogs @ about $120.00- ouch-
    Would love “ Passion Play as well-

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. nick99nack

Heavy Horses is one of my favorite Tull albums, and the "New Shoes Edition" is very nice :)

Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.