Jethro Tull - Stand Up 40th Anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I already have all these tracks in one way or another... It's good but what would really sell me is a freakin' REMIX!
    A remix of such an iconic (and pretty bad sounding) album would be a major event!

I still can't stomach they passed the opportunity to remix Stand Up for this reissue...

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How's the CD mastering on the 2-CD/1-DVD Stand Up?

I noticed Peter Mew's name in the credits...

3. olsen

olsen Senior Member

I've always suspected that the vinyl masterings "corrected" the very quiet intro to Nothing Is Easy because it would have been down there in the surface noise. Every CD version I have is very quiet in the intro, which I assume reflects the original mix. Quite a long fade in...

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

It sounds like you own it. What do YOU think of the mastering?

I STILL haven't gotten around to picking this up, but I really want it. I just really wish that the full unedited concert on the DVD were on 2 CD's, as opposed to an edited version on 1 CD & the full version on a DVD. This is kind of a big deal for me as I very rarely listen to music on my living room setup, which has a DVD player (my music-only stereo rig is in a separate room, & that's where I do all of my quality listening - no DVD player there). Also, the full concert spread out over 2 CD's would allow for listening in the car, where I get a substantial amount of my listening time in. I realize that the edited CD probably contains most (if not all) of the actual music, but I'm a sucker for in-between song banter as well, which this show supposedly has a ton of. I suppose I could take the DVD & make CD-R's of the unedited show, onto 2 CD's. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that I've recorded the audio off of a DVD onto a CD-R.

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I borrowed it from a friend, and had a casual listen last night; sounds pretty good to me, better (I think) than the original CD. I didn't hear any of Peter's supposed trademark NR, but I don't have the most acute ear.

Will listen to the Carnegie Hall show tonight when I get off work.

6. street legal

Thanks.

I *really* gotta get this.

7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

It's the same 2001 remaster.

The Carnegie Hall is a fresh re-mix, without digital delay that was used on the 25th Anniversary Box Set. Bass is a bit too low in the mix though. And i can't resist saying this, but i do find the 10-15 minute solo spots of Anderson, Bunker and Barre (especially!) extremely boring. In that sense i find the edited version of 25th Anniversary set more enjoyable in places.

But it's a great release anyway!

8. I haven't heard this Jethro Tull release, but I think Peter Mew's has gotten better lately. It seems like he often doesn't apply any compression and I also haven't heard any bad no-noise treatments lately. Maybe he somewhat changed his mastering approach.

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the mfsl cd to the 2001/40th anniversary ?
    I've been playing my old [1990?] cd, and would like to upgrade, if the difference in sonics is significant.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The MFSL is better, but the remaster is not bad.

I cannot say if you will like the 2001 better than your old CD, but you'll certainly like the MFSL.

11. I received the 2CD/DVD edition of Stand Up today. They had it on sale at Amazon.co.uk a while ago when I ordered it.

I just did some comparisons.

First, the original album. The remaster doesn't sound bad, still quite dynamic, but it is noticeably brighter than the MFSL mastering (and also brighter than the original US Chrysalis CD). I find the remaster too bright, especially on a song like "We Used to Know". But it's certainly listenable. The MFSL is clearly better though in my opinion.

The 2nd CD and the DVD both contain the Carnegie Hall concert, but there are some major differences there (I only listened to the 2.0 LPCM track on the DVD since I don't have a surround system). The DVD is much longer, at least 20 minutes or more. The CD is edited quite heavily on some tracks. Also, the DVD has more hiss, and the CD sounds a bit no-noised to me. I find the DVD at 24/48 a much better listen than the CD.

I also compared the two tracks which appear on "Living in the Past" as well. I used the MFSL Gold CD for comparison because I remember the MFSL sounding the best for the two live tracks (not for some of the other tracks though in my opinion). The sound/mix on the MFSL of LITP is much better than on the new CD/DVD, much fuller and warmer sounding, with a lot more bass and a much fuller drum sound. So, while the new DVD has probably the best audio of the complete concert, it could still be much better as the MFSL demonstrates for the two tracks.

The packaging is nicely done on this new 2CD/DVD edition. No slipcase on my UK version.

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

The 2001 Stand Up remaster does not breathe like the MFSL. Hiss has been reduced enough to change the atmosphere of the album for me. MFSL or the very close in sound original USA CD is the way to go IMO.

13. street legal

Actually, with the exception of the drum solo (which is edited down about 5-7 minutes), the rest of the tracks on the CD are just as long as on the DVD. What is edited out on the CD is the immense amount of between song banter by Ian Anderson. I was very curious about this when I got my copy awhile back & timed each track on the CD & the DVD from the beginning to the end of each song, not counting any of the chatter. As I said, the CD has all of the actual music that the DVD has, with the exception of the heavily edited drum solo. But personally, I love to hear Ian talk between songs & one of these days I am going to make a 2 CD-R set burned from the DVD.

14. Thanks for the info. That makes sense.

I was thinking about creating a 2-CD-R set myself. I can add the two tracks from the MFSL LITP which would still fit on there.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

SO, now we know that the 40th Ann. edition of Aqualung with fresh stereo and 5.1 remixes is due for in a little more than two months, it appears that they chose to bypass entirely the 40th Ann. edition of Benefit...

Way to go, EMI! :mad:

16. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

that sucks.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I've just "gone surround" and I'm looking back at releases that I passed on earlier but had surround/5.1 mixes.
    Is this set worth picking up for the live concert on the dvd in 5.1?
    Thanks - John

18. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

In terms of getting the unedited complete concert, the answer is yes. In terms of audio quality, i wouldn't say so. Both the stereo and surround remixes are a bit lame. But it's still worth having IMO.

19. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I was tempted to assume that any Japanese versions of Stand Up would improve on the 2001 remaster, but won't do that.
    Can anyone comment on these versions? Are they just Japanese releases of what's already available in the U.S. ?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?q=Stand+up+jethro

Thanks all.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you're talking in terms of mastering, yes. Stand Up hasn't been remastered since 2001.

In terms of packaging, the "limited edition" might be a mini-LP.

21. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Thanks Plan9; just as I suspected. I'm not really into the packaging, so I will pass and hope SW or SH one day work on it, as the Mofi is out of my reach ...

22. spacecadetrimental

spacecadetrimental New Member

Hey, fellow Tullians. I posted some concerns about this release in an Amazon forum and on the official Tull website back in 2010, but didn't get much of a response. Then I listened to the Carnegie Hall show again this morning, and all my frustration came flooding back.

Does anyone else's copy of the 40th Anniversary Stand Up have sloppy remixing in "Dharma for One"?

On my copy, there are numerous defects, present in both the cd and dvd audio versions. (I've included some ridiculously detailed "supporting evidence" to preclude the response I got on Amazon, which was that the anomalies were elements of the original performance that had been edited out of the mix on Living in the Past):

1. starting at the 2 minute mark, the vocals start to seem out of sync
    2. around 2:48-2:51, there is a sort of "digital hiccup" where the vocals drop back in suddenly
    3. from 2:00-2:43, Glen Cornick's bassline sounds chopped up and arrhythmic. You can even hear overlapping lines every once in a while. This, to me, has got to be an error, not only because it sounds sloppy and bears so little resemblance to the LitP mix, but also because Glen's repetitive pulsing bass figure is the primary time-keeping force at work during this section of "Dharma." What we hear on the Stand Up mix is far too inconsistent to serve this function.

Here's why I think the vocals on the new mix of "Dharma for One" suggest mixing defects, rather than restored elements of the original performance. For one, the Tull were rhythmically competent, so I'm apt to trust the more in-sync vocals on the LitP mix. Along similar lines, the collective scream (2:42-2:46) reaches a dynamic peak just before a brief organ solo. This seems to be a deliberate musical decision, which would preclude any subsequent vocalizations. More directly, I think a close listen to those stray vocals (2:48-2:51) reveals them to be snippets of the vocals we just heard, rather than new singing. Finally, during live performances from this era of Tull, Clive, John, and Martin would come to the front of the stage in order to join their voices in this "hellish chorus" section of DfO. If you watch the Isle of Wight or Tanglewood performances, these three head quickly back to their former places on stage following the aforementioned scream, so it seems unlikely that anyone but Ian would have been near a mic when the stray vocals occur. Moreover, by 2:49 of the Carnegie Hall performance, Ian can clearly be heard playing the flute; so, no one could feasibly still be chanting "Dharma" at that point, even if it were part of the arrangement.

Anyway, just wanting to confirm that I'm not crazy. Thanks for reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.