Jethro Tull - Stand Up 40th Anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I guess it won't be. The mastering the the 20 Years box set was pretty awful: compressed and lot's of reverb. Strange EQ. It's hard to say what Ian Anderson and Robin Black were trying to do.

Anyway, at the time it was one of the best box sets released.

2. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Yeah, but it was in two places. 25th box set never had the two tracks from Living in the Past ("By Kind Permission Of" and "Dharma For One". Looks like this set has the complete show together in one place at last. Since this was really the only worthwhile disc on that box set, I won't have much use for it after this new release.

3. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Seconded! Big smile here!:D

4. Warchild

Warchild Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been told that the reason why Stand Up hasn't been remixed is that the remaster (not clear whether this is the 2001 remaster or a new one) is considered to be the definitive version and therefore a remix was not deemed necessary. There was no indication that the multi-tracks were missing:

"The remaster of Stand Up was considered definitive and, leaving aside any cost issues, there was no reason to mix again for the sake of it. We will only consider such action if the artist believes either a real difference and/or improvement can be made. The same rule of thumb is used when it comes to remastering."

Sounds like a reasonable answer to me although we can discuss the merits of the previous EMI remaster until judgement day on this forum!!

But regarding Benefit and Aqualung, well there may be a real gain to be had in remixing those albums. What does everybody think?

5. Ian already o.k'd remixed songs from most of his classic albums already, for the 25th Anniversary Box as well as a greatest hit set (I forgot the title). Why would he (or EMI) have a problem doing so again?

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Back on Living In The Past he remixed "Song For Jeffrey" and "Teacher" (and other non-LP songs) but not "Bouree" or "Hymn 43."

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There was a mono single release of "Bouree" in the UK, not sure if it wasn't a fold-down. I think the B-side was "Back To The Family".

8. Warchild

Bouree Hit Single

Not the UK, this was a single in France, The Netherlands and a few other European countries. It was a hit particularly in France where Tull appeared twice on French colour TV in late '69. Once on the 'La Joconde' show performing live in the studio and again on the famous 'Tous En Scene' where they were filmed in the middle of a French football (not soccer!!!) stadium.

Check out:
    Bouree performed on 'La Joconde' recorded 30/09/1969, broadcast 11/01/1970
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHammond1986#p/u/22/-rfvDEn9yGc

Bouree performed on 'Tous En Scene' recorded 31/10/1969, broadcast 23/11/1969
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHammond1986#p/u/53/yxcnAvjm5Eg

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Pretty cool TV set in the first clip! Thanks for the links!

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First TULL song I ever heard, thanks.

11. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure this is the studio version of the album with "live" visuals.

12. Warchild

Actually I seem to remember that this was a complete re-recording of the Too Old to Rock n Roll album in order to comply with musician's union rules about miming.
    While the 'Supersonic' TV special was shown in the UK on ITV in the London region only (I think), there was a simultaneous stereo radio broadcast of the show on Capital Radio (again in London only) with DJ Tommy Vance providing the on-air links between songs (actually reading out the cartoon strips from the album gatefold)

So in a vault somewhere there is potentially an alternative stereo version of the whole album.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From Beatles stories I think only some, not all, of the parts would have had to be live rather than mimed.

14. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

The price of this set seems to have increased dramatically at some sellers to $30 (ImportCDs) and $56 (CDWOW). But it is currently listed for pre-order at Amazon.ca for only $23 CAD. What's going on?

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I ordered it at that price. I'm assuming its an error...

16. Electric

17. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Perhaps it's an error! However, I ordered one too. They will hopefully honor the price! Thanks for the heads up!

18. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Price has been lowered to $20.99 on Amazon.ca.

19. Electric

Thanks for letting us know. Though their pre-order price guarantee says we will get the lowest price I always send Amazon an email as soon as the price goes down to please lower the price in my order. It's much more reassuring to me. :)

20. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

Count me in, just placed my order. Thanks for the head's up.

21. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I wish the postage to the US weren't so high. I was all set to order this but the total came out to about $30.

22. Electric

If it's any consolation, usually it's the other way around. That is, ordering to Canada from Amazon.com where there is more product at better prices. But shipping is high. :sigh:

23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

But with exchange and no sales tax, you'd still come out ahead.

24. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

Says "Standard International Shipping" is 30-40 weeks. I'm willing to pay the $10 extra from Amazon UK to get it before 2011.

25. Electric

Reduced to $18.99 at Amazon.ca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.