Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the deluxe Aqualung sounds great. The Thick-Brick" has been met with so-so reviews. How does the Stand Up Deluxe edition sound?

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Identical to the older 2001 remaster. They didn't upgrade the album proper, only added additional bonus tracks.

bluerondo likes this.
  3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

And yet, it's better than the Benefit Deluxe Edition. Oh wait, there is no Benefit Deluxe Edition. :realmad:

mooseman, JulesRules and footlooseman like this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It may come next year, who knows?

jerrygene likes this.
  5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

If you don't have Stand up, this is the one to get. It has the full Carnegie hall concert which is great stuff.

DAVE GILBERT likes this.
  6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

True. Steven Wilson has been pushing Ian Anderson for this. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Sound compared the the mofi cd?

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Which is a shame, because the live Carnegie Hall concert really belongs on that album, not on this one.

fiscus1 likes this.
  9. Dissapointing news for those of us who want to see A Passion Play next on Steve Wilson's list.

10. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

The hi-rez two channel of Thick as a Brick sounds amazing. It onle pales in comparison to Aqualung because the original mix of Aqualung was so bad.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

2013 is also A Passion Play's 40th anniversary...

12. playbass

playbass Forum Resident

Steve said he would like to do A Passion Play too, seems like I heard an interview with Ian that said APP was going to get a re-issue, but I can't dig it up quickly, so I may be mis-remembering. Also, "Songs from the Wood" deluxe would be nice too.

13. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Ian Anderson said he wanted Songs from the Wood to be done next, but Wilson stated Passion Play and Benefit were his choices. Wilson said Anderson was reluctant to re-mix and issue Passion Play.

14. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The band should really be thinking about remixing Broadsword. Songs such as Beastie, Jackalynn, ***** willow would be so much more listenable if they didn't have crap drum sounds. All I want is the original drum track to be lowered in volume and equalised to improve the sound a bit. Imagine a consistently good drum sound throughout the 28 tracks. That's including the 18 tracks from the last remaster plus Motoreyes, Jackalynn(home version), Commons brawl, No step, Drive on the young side of life, The curse, Crew nights, Lights out plus unrealesed songs DJ and Dinosaur. 28 songs, all with improved drum sounds, especially Beastie, Jackalynn, ***** willow and I'm your gun.

Keith V likes this.
  15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Back then, the Record Collector magazine reported that Broadsword remaster was going to be 2 cd's. I don't what happened then. I would love to hear Broadsword remixed with less 80's drum sound, but my guess is that the drum sound is on the tape.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It would be amazing if they could re-record the drums and remix Broadsword.

17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Ian has also said he'd like to replace the saxophone parts with flute or guitar, so any remix means some studio work for him.

18. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

So is the MFSL Stand Up the preferred digital version? It seems like the Stand Up deluxe edition was a real missed opportunity. Maybe there will be a 45th anniversary edition in the future?

19. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

As long as the drum track is separate then there shouldn't be a problem. a lot of the Broadsword album has reasonable drums. It's just Beastie I have a big problem with and also Jackalynn which is among the bonus tracks. The clasp and ***** willow could sound better too. But overall every track on the remaster could be slightly improved apart from Too many Too which has the best drum track. The remaster actually made the drums sound worse. The increased high and low frequencies brings out the 80s reverb even more. Ian should go back to the original recordings. Songs such as Overhand and Rythm in gold sound better on the 20 ann. box set than they do on the Broadsword remaster. I really like I'm your gun but i would love it if the drums were toned down a fair bit. A double cd with the drums sounding consistent would be awesome. I'd be enjoying some songs for the first time and I'd also enjoy other songs a fair bit more. This could be Tulls most enjoyable remaster imo due to improvement and a major collection of 28 tracks and more

20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yes to both! I sure would have loved to hear Stand Up in surround.....:sigh:

21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Me too.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, it was one of the albums I really wanted a nice deluxe edition of...

23. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I agree. Like most of the Tull remasters, Broadsword had some issues. The original CD had cracks and pops and distortion going on. Those were fixed on the remaster, but the overall sound over-emphasised the Reagan-era sound. The remaster also sounds no-noised.

About the snare sound on the multitracks, the drum sound on both Nightcap and 20 Years box set still very 80's, altough most of them were remixed (The Curse being one example).

24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The original CD sounds very good too. Much better than the remaster/deluxe edition IMO.

Lars-Olof Ström likes this.
  25. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have enjoyed these Tull anniversary editions. But I never bought the Stand Up Deluxe Edition. I have the MFSL. Should I skip this reissue???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.