Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more! Was mostly disappointed when meeting many of my musical favorites when working as a soundman. Since then have decided the less I know about most artists the more I can enjoy their work.

izgoblin, murrays and FritzL like this.
  2. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I could tell LITO on the 2010 set was the remix, but Driving Song and Sweet Dream are, too?

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I thought Driving Song was...but that may have been an assumption only.

4. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The organ IS the remix (1972). The original mix had a second flute.

5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Got it for Christmas. Great set.
    To me, although I like having a remix to listen to, Stand Up is one album that didn't need it. It always sounded good and airy. Maybe now it's just gooder and airier :)
    Since I don't have a surround setup I can't comment on the 5.1 mix.

Happy Christmas

6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I've worked around a lot of musicians and that's been my experience as well. Music is an emotional experience for many people, probably more so in an enthusiast forum like this one. They don't realize musicians are people just like everyone else and after a while it becomes a job. Touring is a major PITA, as is dealing with record companies, producers and the multitude of people who are hangers on. Add drugs and alcohol and you have a lot a bad mix.
    Interestingly, I never heard any complaints about the groupies. :)

7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Speaking of early Tull singles, the original mixes of "Sweet Dream" have a mostly single-tracked vocal, with double-tracked choruses. But the remixes for the "Living in the Past" album and Wilson's "Benefit" have the vocals double-tracked throughout. Does anyone here know if those vocals were on the tape the whole time, and just omitted from the early mixes, or were they added later on (in the same way that the organ was added to "Living in the Past")?

Keith V likes this.
  8. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I know, what I mean is: I wish the ORIGINAL organ remix as it appeared on LITP. This new set has Wilson's remixes of that version, and flat transfers of the original mono and stereo mixes without organ, but not a flat transfer of the original organ remix. The compilers may have rightly felt that's too much LITP, but as a completist I'd welcome it.

Keith V likes this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, I glanced at my Wish List at Amazon last night, and this set was on a "Flash Sale" with £5 off. That put the price at £20, which is the cheapest I've seen it. By the time I saw it, the Sale only had three minutes to run (Amazon are missing a trick here, why don't they email people with the item on their Wish Lists if they're having a Flash Sale?!??)

It's not a good time for me to buy, given the time of year and a required £100 fix in the last week for a computer problem - but without thinking I ordered anyway. Long term I know I'll be glad I did.

The only set I don't have now is Too Old. The price of that has stayed high too - but who knows, if I stumble upon a good price........

10. SJB

None of the 1972 remixes have appeared on the new Tull reissues. I have no idea what that says about the possibility of the "Living in the Past" album resurfacing.

Keith V and tonewheeltom like this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It came out last year!

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Stand Up SW remix on vinyl due Feb 17th according to Amazon UK.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

There's a Living in the Past set that was remixed by Steven Wilson? I thought I had all of the SW remixes but don't have Living in the Past.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No, it wasn't remixed by Steven Wilson but it was reissued on vinyl in 2015.

In fact, they reissued the US version and not the original UK version.

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

See post 941 :). Pre-ordered.

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I didn't know they differed.

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

There are a couple tracks that are different but I can't remember which ones.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They do, slightly. First of all there's a couple of tracks on the original British release that are listed the wrong way round.

The US release corrected that error. Of those, 'Witch's (sic) Promise' and 'Teacher' are the US mixes.

Then, on Side Two, 'Alive and Well and Living In' replaces 'Inside'. 'Locomotive Breath' is replaced by 'Hymn 43' on Side Four. Finally 'For Later' the penultimate track is rightly or wrongly titled 'From Later' on the US.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  19. folkfreak

US mix of Witches promise ?

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That and Teacher as far as I know/remember. It was "Witches" Promise on the original so they definitely remixed the title :)

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Benefit reissue booklet states that "Witches Promise" was remixed for LitP.

22. folkfreak

yes, but there is no US mix. There are the original single stereo and mono mixes and the Living in the Past remix. And the awful 1993 remix.

Mirsset and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The LITP vinyl reissue from last year sounds really nice. Was pleasantly surprised

24. SJB

I was aware of the Rhino vinyl reissue, but that's rather a different beast from the Steven Wilson remixes.

I already have what is probably the definitive CD version of Living in the Past, specifically the Mobile Fidelity double disc with all of the U.S. and U.K. tracks, plus a somewhat reformatted booklet. I'm not sure how Wilson would handle a remix of the compilation, because one of its charms is that the mixes are unique to the album (or were, before many of them became the standard versions used on later compilations), and many of Wilson's existing remixes of singles have hewn closer to Living in the Past than the original single mixes (e.g., the double-tracked lead vocal in the verses on Sweet Dream). If a Wilsonized Living in the Past does emerge, it shouldn't just be a collection of the same mixes he already prepared for Stand Up, Benefit and Aqualung. Also, it should be expanded to two full CDs, using things like B-sides left off the original compilation, the surviving pre-This Was material, etc. Or maybe a three-disc set to provide a new home for the complete Carnegie Hall show.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK. But "It came out last year!" was a little vague ;).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    bobcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.