Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thanks. I wish I was involved with every remix. :D
    I like Trilogy, but BSS, not so much.

DonnyMe likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

It's sounds a little thin and bright to me. I prefer my EMI 100 pressing

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I listened to Stand Up last night and just finished listening to TAAB (corrected DVD thanks to a fellow SH member :)). Now it's on to Aqualung! The 5.1 mixes are excellent IMO and I'm glad to have all of the Steven Wilson Tull CD/DVD deluxe sets in my collection :).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    dougb222, aoxomoxoa, Todd W. and 4 others like this.
  4. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

Though a bit OT, may I add three questions to this mastering discussion?
    - I thought one key aspect of REmastering is that the original analogue master (i.e. the one after the original mixing) is converted again into the digital domain (by some new DA conversion equipment, that reduces certain types of noise better than the equipment 10 or 15 years ago).

- REmastering only makes sense in the context of new digital products. A new analogue product should always be derived from the old original analogue master?

- Does the preparation of a master for a compilation type release (digital or analogue), which would require certain level adaptations (because the songs used come from different years/albums) count as remastering ?

BTW do digital compilation type releases always (a) go back to the original analogue masters or (b) do they use the last digital version of these masters, or is both possible (and one should read the liner notes)? Probably the last, and cheap compilation releases use (b), whereas better compilation releases use (a). E.g. the 25th Anniversary Best of Compilation of JT from 1993 has "Digitally Remastered" written on the front cover of the booklet. Thus - there can be an audio advantage in buying compilations, though one already has all the studio albums on CD?

Thanks!

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

- "Remastering" simply means mastering again. A digital transfer of an analog master does not become the new master (unless of course the original master is lost afterwards and no better copy is available).

- No. Remastering works for new analogue masterings as well (like for an LP reissue). Ideally, yes, new analogue products should use the analogue master if it's available. But a digital copy can be used and often is.

- Yes, and a compilation spanning several years and studios would require more than that. Level adaptations from song to song (and of course more) is also done within the same album.

- Doing both is possible. Depends on how involved the mastering engineer is or what he has been told to use. Compilations often have, but not always, a different mastering than what is found on the individual albums. So there may be an audio advantage. Case in point the Stranglers comp, 'Greatest Hits 1977-1990', to my ears uses the individual songs masters while the old CD albums use the vinyl masters (but still sound pretty good).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Others in the know will offer a better explanation but there is a distinction between the stereo mixdown master and the master which forms the basis for what is released. A recording is mixed in stereo (or mono or multi-channel for that matter) which creates the mixdown master. Could be analogue or digital. Then the mixdown master is mastered for release.

When things are remastered, it is the original mixdown master (or a copy of it) that is being remastered, i.e. mastered again. Again, can be analogue or digital.

If already-mastered tracks are level matched for a compilation, the answer to your question probably depends on whom you're asking. I'd say that that is not mastering; rather, that it is just level matching. Technically, though, it probably is mastering.

As for the final question, the answer would be on a case-by-case basis.

Plan9 likes this.
  7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The vinyl is up for pre order on US Amazon

FritzL and lucan_g like this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looks like a Feb 17 release date for the vinyl!!

Sorry if it's been covered, but does the remix center the vocals more than the original?

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Just slightly.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

For those wondering about the vinyl, finally coming next month, I bring further good tidings. Price has just dropped a fiver and it's currently just 16.50GBP on preorder.

11. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Sorry, I'm coming in late here. The Steven Wilson remix of Stand Up is now available?

12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The dvd is, yes. The 5.1 mix is excellent.

13. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Thanks. Only the 5.1 mix available?

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

No. Since your familiar with Steven Wilson, I am surprised you aren't familiar with all his Tull DVD releases? They ALL contain a new 5.1 remix AND a stereo remix.

15. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

sorry, but how lazy can one be ?

bobcat likes this.
  16. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I'm just becoming aware. I ordered Aqualung the other day. Thanks for the info.

17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Amazon just dropped off the vinyl pressing! I'll clean it and post what I think later

teag likes this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I got it yesterday at lunchtime. Very pleasing listen. Much more commanding than the CD.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My vinyl has a scratch so ordered a replacement. It does otherwise sound very good. I have had pressing issues with most of the Tull remix releases. The copies of Living In The Past I received last week both had bad non-fill and had to mix and match to achieve something acceptable.

20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Cool, thanks. I'm hitting my favorite record store tomorrow, so I'll clean whatever I pick up from there and Stand Up tomorrow. I'll report back...

21. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I preordered today here in Canada

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Ordered today with delivery Monday!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Sounds really good, but there's a nasty audible blemish on Reasons for Waiting. Ugh! Gonna have to send it back.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

With your background helping to remix these JT albums, thought you might be able to answer the questions below from a JT newbie(being a SW Fan is what got me to explore JT albums the past year).

Do you know if there are plans to reissue 'Benefit' in the nice Hardback Book package along with bonus material(thought I read on here there is another concert from that time period that has not been released yet in the Deluxe Reissues although I need to see what extra songs were added to the initial SW Deluxe issue of 'Benefit' in the smaller package).

Also do you know if there are plans to release 'Living in the Past' in a Deluxe Set with a extra songs and 5.1 like for other albums using the Hardback Book?

25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Good price? Where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.