Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I have a hard time believing that. Elvis, by most accounts, was firing on all cylinders in '69 and I haven't heard any audio to suggest otherwise. Elvis may have performed in various states of impairment in his later years, but 1969 was most certainly not one of those years.

Ian's description of Elvis as being "full of himself" seems a bit off, also.

Whatever the case, Ian comes across as exceedingly hostile towards Elvis in the liner notes.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I don't know. Obviously I was never there or met Elvis myself. But I have heard of other musicians being less than impressed with Elvis' personality upon meeting him.

3. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I read it that Ian was more disappointed than hostile.

4. Dewey Cox meets Elvis:

5. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Or, maybe this isn't a Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe thread. :agree:

Tom34772 likes this.
  6. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I don't know about the being sloppy on stage (even though why couldn't Elvis had been drunk or something that particular night?) but full of himself? you have to be kidding, when was Elvis NOT full of himself? the man wore a cape

7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Ordered this remix

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I listened to the Stand Up 5.1 mix today and this album is easily my favorite of all of the Steven Wilson remix/5.1 mixes :)!

rd1, Larry Geller, geodos and 2 others like this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Bits of the Sweet dream TOTP lost footage

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Unfortunately, that video did not play for me(maybe blocked on US YouTube), but wanted to say that I just got into Jethro Tull the past year with the Steven Wilson Remixes, and 'Sweet Dream' is one of my Favorite Songs(Top 3 ). Before the past year, I only heard 2 JT Songs(Aqualung & Locomotive Breath). Do not care for the Folk Rock Music that the band shifted towards with 'Songs form the Wood', but really like the albums, 'Stand Up', 'Benefit', 'Aqualung' & 'Minstrel in the Gallery'. I found 'A Passion Play' tough to get into though, but will give it a few more listens on Youtube in the future. I skipped buying the Box Sets to 'Warchild' and 'Too Old for Rock & Roll' due to mediocre reviews from JT Fans overall.

11. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Wow!! I've never seen that. I was able to watch on youtube. It looks like Ian is wearing his hair in pig tails. Thank God the 60's ended and they ditched the hippie image. Would have been really interesting to see what would have happened had Glenn remained in the band during the 70's.

12. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Probably why Ian fired him, Ian decides the course the band takes

13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Cool! A bit of a shame that half the screen is watermarks, bugs, and superimposed single sleeves. Plus the "Stand Up" cover is constantly superimposed over the whole thing, but I'm guessing that was done at the time and is baked in to all existing copies.

Because the performance was mimed to the record, it makes perfect sense that high-quality audio has been dubbed onto the clip, but the speed is a tiny bit off so it's a second or two out of sync by the end.

The "zebra stripe" effect superimposed onto Glenn is a prescient portent of things to come...

14. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Thanks for that. When the band was starting to break big and AM radio (pre-FM) was the platform they had available, we would watch for clips like these. Ian was still in the "wild man in the long coat" stage there.
    Uh, yeah........ What a long strange trip...

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you watch carefully, the superimposed cover has a green tint, which isn't consistent with the black & white of the original footage. So that was added by the YouTube uploader, as a sort of watermark I guess.

16. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

No it wasn't there all the time. The whole clip without watermarks showed up for some days on youtube in Germany last week... but then quickly disappeared and a few days later this version appeared.

It seems it was broadcast then on the German TV show Beatclub

17. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Sorry for the ignorance...but does the Beatclub tv show still exist presently?

18. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

No. It went from 1965 till 1972.

19. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

:cool:
    It would be cool if it was a song that I liked. :shh: Witch's Promise & Sweet Dream are two famous Tull songs that I don't really care for.

20. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I LOVE both those songs. To each his own. :wave:

tootull, shadlet and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

As a very long time fan of Tull (40 years or so), I've never been a fan of Sweet Dream either. Witches Promise is good though...

tootull and Mirsset like this.
  22. tootull

It's not the music, it's the singer. :whistle:

23. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Two of my all-time favorites.....even though Sweet Dream boasts one too many "get out and get what you can" choruses.

tootull likes this.
  24. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

It's ingrained into my memory banks as representative of a really good year. I was introduced to it here:
    [​IMG]
    Jethro Tull - My God!
    I have the yellow vinyl.

Larry Geller, aoxomoxoa and tootull like this.
  25. tootull

:cool: Love My God, of course. :angel:

Ed Hughes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.