Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

:uhhuh: This was my first ever bootleg, and third Tull album. Had M.U. The Best Of & Living In the Past...so Sweet Dream I knew but it was my intro to Sossity/Reasons For Waiting (and it was some years before I dove into Stand Up & Benefit and heard the originals). When they played the Sossity/Reasons For Waiting combo in '93, I got pretty filled up. Christmas Song in '92, too. Was taken back to my eighth-grade self....

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Has anyone else experienced a myriad of clicks on the 96/24 stereo Steven Wilson remix on the DVD in the DE? I haven't had a really close listen to this before, but on headphones, it's full of clicks. Wondering if this is unique to my copy. Not audible on the CD version of the remix.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I haven't noticed any clicks on my copy.

4. John Buchanan

Interesting - they're certainly quite obvious on this copy. Off to Import CDs then for another copy.

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Man I miss those TMQ pastel sleeved rubber stamped boots, I wish I had kept mine.

6. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

John, I just ran throught the tracks and I'm not hearing it.
    The stereo's great but the 5.1 is fantastic. The separation and clarity of every instrument; from the drum kit to the harmonica is stunning.
    You can hear Ian's pick against the windings in Look Into The Sun. Truly "As you've never heard it before."
    What a ground breaking album. And these book editions - bring on the Horses!

Runicen likes this.
  7. John Buchanan

Thanks Mr T and Thomas - I've ordered a replacement copy. These Tull sets are wonderful. We need This Was, Benefit and Thick As A Brick all redone, as well as Heavy Horses and Stormwatch.

8. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

That is a really low price($17+) and great deal for the 'Stand Up' Elevated Book Box Set.

Someone else on another thread last week mentioned the reduced price for 'Warchild' which I was not going to buy originally(being new to Jethro Tull myself the past 12-18 months, and seemed that 'Warchild' and 'Too Old to Rock & Roll' did not rank that high with most of their fans who posted comments on the SW Remixed Book Box Sets-although when I saw people rank the JT albums from favorite to least favorite, there does not seem to be any agreement even in the order of the Top 5 Albums), but since 'Warchild' was reduced to $22, I did buy it.

I was hoping 'A Passion Play' would get a similar price reduction, as even though I did not care for the album itself when I heard it a few times on YouTube, but most people, who own that Book Box Set mentioned that the 2nd CD of Music is really good. Maybe the original album would grow on me over time, so I will give it more listens on YouTube in the future.

I do not care for Folk-Rock, so I skipped 'Songs from the Wood', but the Concert CD looks great with older songs played, so if the price of that Book Box ever drops close to $20 or lower on Amazon, I will get it

I noticed that Benefit Deluxe Set(not even in the Book Box), has gone up in price close to $30 now. I bought at $22 in the past year.

raimiz1991inc and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"....but TAAB's physical product mastering issues have not been addressed yet..."

It seems they have on this SHM version:

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

bobcat likes this.
  12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Not a deluxe question but does anyone know why the song 17 was edited on the 2001 reissue? There was space for it to be unedited.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I believe it was also edited on the 20th anniversary box set and they used the same edit in the 2001 remaster. Ian apparently doesn’t like the song very much...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Must be why it wasn't included on Living In the Past way back when, either.

Larry Geller and WonkyWilly like this.
  15. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Playing the vinyl now. Outstanding job again by SW. Very open sound on this one. Vinyl quiet and flat.

teag likes this.
  16. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Stand Up! It's Jethro Tull on the cover of the new issue of Prog, on sale today
    The new issue of Prog is on sale today. We celebrate 50 years of Stand Up with Ian Anderson, Martin Barre and album cover artist James Grashow. The album that saw the band break away from the blues and jazz of their debut and begin to explore more progressive territory. It worked too, because Stand Up was the band's very first Number One album.
    [​IMG]

ultron9, defmoot, Ray29 and 4 others like this.
  17. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Does James Grashow explain why he draw Ian Anderson with 11 finger?

18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

He talks about it in the Steven Wilson bookset. "It's because I was so involved with the process that Ian has eleven fingers! When I had finished the album and had delivered it, somebody called me up and said, 'You know Ian Anderson has eleven fingers?' and I said 'Oh my God!' You know, to this day I get letters and enquiries asking about that eleventh finger. It was a total fluke, but it's part of the magic of why the album became something special, because it had little oddities built in. So I would lie to people and tell them that it was a mystical gift given to the album, but really it was just one of those flukes, a side effect of the artist being in a wood cut rapture. Actually, thinking about it, maybe it was a product of my dyslexia!"

19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I never noticed that he had 11 fingers. Funny!

20. tootull

Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread (part2)
    Of course, there’s one element of the cover that has kept Tull fans curious for years. Look closely and you’ll see that Ian Anderson has 11 fingers rather than the customary 10.

“I was just cutting away and didn’t notice,” says Grashow. “After it got published, I started getting letters from all over the world asking what it meant. I can imagine people sitting round, getting stoned, counting the fingers and asking what the significance of the 11th finger was.” And was it significant? “No,” he laughs. “It was just an accident.”

[​IMG]

bluerondo, DonnyMe and aoxomoxoa like this.
  21. SJB

Clearly neither did Grashow! I wonder if an extra finger would be a help or a hindrance to a flute player ....

Kim Olesen likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just one more finger to lick clean!

Matthew Tate and dirie like this.
  23. SJB

More than the easy-to-miss extra digit, what troubles me the most about Ian's fingers in the picture is that they are bent at impossible and excruciating angles. When I knit my fingers together, the fingertips aren't all touching one another. Check out the gruesome bend on the left index finger.

All this being said, of course, I think Grashow's woodcut is a fantastic album cover that suits and enhances the album. Hands are notoriously difficult body parts to illustrate well, and for the most part Grashow did quite well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. tootull

25. tootull

FVDnz, DonnyMe and Ed Hughes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.