Jethro Tull – Stormwatch remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROGGER, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I just paid $24 to return Marillion's Afraid of Sunlight box which is the same style as Stormwatch back to AmazonUK because of a major crease in the back of the book. Think I'll get all my return postage refunded? :realmad:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I received a copy of the new Magpie Salute CD yesterday from Amazon (US) which appeared to have water damage and looked like it’d been smashed with a hammer! Still picking up bits of plastic from the floor!

3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Was the crease there because the packaging was damaged or was it a manufacturing defect not picked up in the distribution warehouse. On the return postage, did you not get a returns label email when you reported the defect, I recently returned an item that had a missing download code, I just taped the label to the parcel, the post office scanned the barcode, the return cost me nothing. Maybe amazon uk don't pay for overseas returns, I don't know.

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Forum Resident

amazon.com refund postage for returns

Deek57 likes this.
  5. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Crease was in the packaging and book. A thin cardboard covering which the book fit into tightly. Something heavy crushed it on its flight over or somewhere along the line. I think AmazonUK will refund somewhere around 8£ for postage which isn't even half of what it cost to ship back. I would have been just as well off to order from Amazon here though the price is higher.

6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

That's not good, could amazon uk by not paying full return cost trying to discourage overseas purchases looking for a cheaper deal, probably not, but that good deal looks risky to me. I take it you did not want to take the chance of asking for replacement.

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I actually did ask for a replacement. Hopefully it'll arrive in better condition. Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic here. I hope all you Stormwatch AmazonUK buyers get yours in fab condition.

Deek57 likes this.
  8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

What a fabulous package, proof again that JT left overs are better than some folk's albums :).

I'm not keen on the remix, the clarity of the original from the dvd 24/96 is just stellar, (I would even forgive IA's honky upper mid bass as there is enough else to listen to).

I'd be very interested in which 'associated recordings' folks have added to the main album for playlist duty.

9. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had to make it a double album. The remix sound has got me more interested in old ghosts and warm sporran. Really enjoying these now. Never took enough notice of them before but they sound great now. Have always loved oil, dun, something, elegy and they sound even better now. Ages is still pretty good. Dutchman is even nicer now. I must say that Orion has martins best 2 minutes of his career. The long version is the highlight of disc 2. Love it. I’ve always loved stitch, blues, cross, kelpie, bazaar, king. They sound excellent now. How good is apocalypse also. Once I played it in the car i was hooked. Single man is a nice end to a classic double album. It would have been the best album in history I think lol. A stunning 80 minutes of listening loudly in the car :cool: oh and early ages sounds like the best song from the whole box but the missing bits of flute make it an awesome bonus track on the double album

10. Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon Forum Resident

Me too

Cheers

martin

downer likes this.
  11. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Just read the story inside the 40th anniversary booklet of why Ian was wearing those glasses - ouch!

12. Essan

Essan Forum Resident

Succumbed and started listening last night. Only disc 2 so far - initial highlights of which are A Single Man and Orion. Also good to hear "Blues Instrumental" again after so long (I only have the 20th anniversary box set on cassette (!) and haven't heard it in over 25 years ..... ) Easily the best "bonus" disc so far though - every song on it could (should) have been on the album.

13. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Haven't played Stormwatch for awhile until last night and particularly good to hear Orion (and the longer version) Dark Ages, Dun Ringill, Flying Dutchman and Elegy again - impressive stuff.

Went through the quality booklet last night and felt a bit deflated - even though I knew what was coming up. The death of John Glascock (who seemed a genuinely popular guy liked by everyone) and the fact that it was the final time Evans, Barlow and Palmer played with the band. I thought (probably naively) there might be a more positive summary of what had been achieved with these guys - Ian saying what they had brought to Tull etc - I might have skipped/missed passages in the booklet but it just seemed a quiet, gentlemanly disbandment. I for one really appreciate what all those guys brought to Tull.

14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Booklet !!!! come on guys, 93 pages and you are calling this a booklet, it's hardbound, a proper book. A booklet is something with a few pages that is paperbound.

granata, Snow2, Essan and 1 other person like this.
  15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

16. downer

downer Senior Member

Sad but necessary- state of the industry

17. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

I love Lyricon Blues, and maintain it should’ve been on the album.

tootull likes this.
  18. Norsemandave

Norsemandave Forum Resident

Mine arrived today, just unwrapped it.

19. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

As one of the lucky UK people to get it on the original release date I've had time to get aquainted with the box set and decided to try & compile a double album (I'm no Tull expert & am only discovering what I've missed through these box sets!)
    My rules were to start each 5 track LP side with an instrumental and end it with an "epic" with the exception of side 4 as I think my album should end the same way as the original. I've used the longer versions of Orion & Dark Ages as I'm a sucker for longer tracks. I used the early version of Dun Ringill simply because I prefer it. Anyway here goes:

A Single Man [Previously Unreleased]
    North Sea Oil
    Crossword
    Home
    Orion (full version) [Previously Unreleased]

King Henry’s Madrigal
    Kelpie
    Something’s On The Move
    A Stitch In Time
    Dark Ages (early version) [Previously Unreleased]

Warm Sporran
    Old Ghosts
    Urban Apocalypse [Previously Unreleased]
    Dun Ringill (early version) [Previously Unreleased On CD]
    Man Of God [Previously Unreleased]

The Lyricon Blues
    Broadford Bazaar
    Rock Instrumental (unfinished master) [Previously Unreleased]
    Flying Dutchman
    Elegy

I've played it a few times & it seems to flow quite well though I'm sure some changes may get made.

A bonus EP can be made with the remaining tracks:
    Prelude To A Storm [Previously Unreleased]
    Sweet Dream (live)
    Dun Ringill
    Orion
    Dark Ages

tootull and Macca75 like this.
  20. PROGGER

Aqualung and Warchild disc 2 are pretty cool too though

FritzL and DonnyMe like this.
  21. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

I agree, I simply can't get my head around this:

I have all all the Tull boxsets, ordered well in advance in June, avoided tax dodging Amazon, ordered through semi band official Burning Shed and Warner, who have manufactured and distributed and probably poured over sales monthly and yearly since the second boxset now seem to get it so woefully wrong.

Remember folks, 'one pressing only' but they apparently are now doing a second pressing because they can't fulfill a pre-order for possibly Tull's biggest market, the UK, and poor folks in Australia can't even get a pre-order, or their future hands on Stormwatch. Then large conglomerate companies like Warner moan on lack of physical sales?

Yes Warner, still waiting, as is Burning Shed, all paid for?

Rant over.

22. downer

downer Senior Member

True, but isn't the reason for this Euro delay due to Warner UK/Europe messing up the quantity of the production run?
    I suspect someone missed a zero on the production numbers and they only ran up x-hundred copies instead of x-thousand...

23. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

I've not heard that, but we are well into this series of re-releases, also they have told JB hi-fi it's no longer available, not just pending.

Maybe there are dealers just hoarding for future resale.

When I started on buying these boxsets from Warchild on, up until Songs FTW, they were still all available. I bought most below £15.00 on Amazon soon after release . Once Songs FTW went OOP later manufacture release prices of later sets went up and secondary prices of earlier ones rapidly dried up and starting going through the roof. There have been a number of members here who have bought two boxes of Stormwatch due to the ridiculous different costs and release dates, they didn't cancel the other order. I'm not saying they did it for profit, but they know they won't loose out. There are plenty of people out there who look at Thick aab or Songs FTW at 6x it's original Amazon price and see ££$$ signs.

24. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I noticed that Amazon uk took my money but I didn’t get a tracking number or notice of shipping yet. Seems odd. Anyone else have this experience?

25. PROGGER

stopped going to jb years ago. They used to be full of prog cds. They should have kept gaslight in the city :D