Jethro Tull – Stormwatch remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROGGER, Jun 11, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Ahhhh , ok. Thank you, I didn't realise that

2. Dok

Dok Senior Member

An early reviewer who had access to promos of the boxset on the Progressive Ears forum posted these spoilers. I've also included another post where he talks about the early version of Dun Ringill. Avoid these if you want the box to be fresh and new to discover for yourself! You've been warned!

As for Dun Ringill, being an early version (I'm not sure what the difference is between that and 'demo') it doesn't have the spoken word intro, it's just a hard start, and Ian is singing it in a lower register. It does have flute and backing vocals, unlike the early version of Dark Ages, but it doesn't have much other studio wizardry (like the swirling echoing "....ohhhh by Dun Ringill.....by Dun Ringill..." vocals, for example). It's a really lovely version of the song. For anyone who knows and likes the 1981 'home demo' version of Jack-A-Lynn, that's a good comparison here.

S P O I L E R S

Dark Ages (Early version) - I truly think this is one of the all time great Tull pieces. This demo-ish version has a much longer, atmospheric intro before the piano part we are all familiar with begins. Otherwise, most of the arrangement is the same as the final version, and all lyrics identical. No flute or backing vocals, but it's a fiery version, and Ian practically snarls some of the vocals. It gains a lot from its lack of polish. It's a fantastic version of the song, and like Dun Ringill I might even prefer this one! Time will tell.

A Single Man - Beautiful piano intro from John Evan (a throwback of sorts to Locomotive Breath in that sense, but while that one was bluesy in feel, this one is more classically-inspired) gives way to upbeat instrumental piece with all members playing off each other. A fun little track with memorable melodies that would have been a welcome addition to the album. I like it a lot.

Orion (Full version) - The track that a lot of Tullheads have been waiting for since this set was announced. Probably the highlight or centrepiece of the whole box. Somewhat doomy minute-long intro intially chopped has been restored, before the main song kicks in (seems to be an extra verse at the beginning too), then suddenly veering into a lengthy, complex and energetic instrumental section before closing out the same way the edited version does (since that's what we're going to call it now after 40 years [​IMG] ). Quite amazing to hear this track in its original nine minute form.

Urban Apocalypse - Some fans will be familiar with this song from last year's Dee Palmer album where she re-imagined it to fit with the style of her solo album Through Darkened Glass. On that latter-day version, we have solemn choirs, the sounds of galloping horses, and Palmer earnestly singing greatly expanded lyrics over a much different arrangement. Here, it is wildly different, a much more traditional-sounding 1970s Tull piece with Anderson nearing the top of his range, underpinned by the band banging out a heavy, complex rock track. Why it never saw the light of day until 40 years after its recording is anyone's guess.

The Lyricon Blues - The second of four instrumental pieces unearthed for this set, this one does have a faint bluesy feel at its core, but it's quirky, late 70s Tull, so anyone expecting Buddy Guy will be disappointed. Well, nobody will be expecting Buddy Guy, so it's a moot point. But it's a nice track that very slowly builds in intensity, and as it does the blues flavour fades and we are into that more complicated prog-rock territory again.

Man Of God - Yet another lost track in an astonishing line of "Never Heards" that were recorded and then never released. Strong enough for the album, but perhaps not fitting with its general themes... file alongside tracks like Commercial Traveler, Tomorrow Was Today, etc.

Rock Instrumental (Unfinished master) - Does what it says on the tin. A very typical piece of Tull music from the period. Barlow absolutely shines, as always. Maybe similar in style to that live instrumental by the band minus Anderson from the '77 era on YouTube, but this one has his flute.

Prelude To A Storm - I'm waiting on a copy of the booklet so I can read more about these pieces, but I assume this would have been the leadoff album track? I'm not sure yet. Here, it has been mixed to fade into the closing track on the disc, a live version of Sweet Dream.

Also, someone asked if 'The Lyricon Blues' was the same as 'Blues Instrumental (Untitled)' from the 20 Years Box and it is NOT!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I think it’s possible that this reviewer isn’t aware of the existence of “Blues Instrumental”. None of the articles I’ve seen on this new release have “Lyricon Blues” listed as previously unreleased.

4. Dok

Dok Senior Member

"The Lyricon Blues - The second of four instrumental pieces unearthed for this set"

Another poster asks -
    I assume this is actually the same track as "Blues Instrumental (Untitled)" from the 20 Years box, so not actually new to this set.

To which he replies-
    "Nope. Completely different."

5. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Fair enough, but the description of the song eventually veering into proggier territory after a bluesy intro sounds very similar to the structure of “Blues Instrumental”

6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The reviewer has heard it and I haven't, but I remain skeptical that "The Lyricon Blues" is completely different from the blues instrumental, featuring the Lyricon, released in 1988. The description in the spoiler fits the 1988 release. And if this is different, then (1) why omit a known, released, period recording from the set, and (2) why is the recording not labeled as "previously unreleased"?

I suppose it's possible that they used a previously unknown recording and mistook it for the previously released one. That happened with "Vevey" on the 2003 Rhino expanded edition of Going For The One by Yes.

But it's also possible that the reviewer misread the question and thought that "Rock Instrumental" was being compared to "Blues Instrumental." I can't say.

But until I hear it for myself, I'll continue to assume that "The Lyricon Blues" is the same as "Blues Instrumental." If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to hang on to my 20 Years box.

Lands End Drums and Bonddm like this.
  7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Also, “Blues Instrumental” is listed as running 5.15 and “Lyricon Blues”, 5.14.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

ParloFax, SJB, Galeans and 3 others like this.
  9. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Thanks Tootull! Egg on my face :laugh:

tootull likes this.
  10. SJB

Clarification! ELUCIDATION! VINDICATION!*

Also, one can prove "Lyricon Blues" is the same as "Blues Instrumental" because "Lyricon" is an anagram for "No Lyric" and, therefore, an instrumental. Q.E.D.

*This was an unused verse from the Moody Blues' "Procession."

11. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

ok, everything else really had made me wonder...

12. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I could not be happier with this set - I'm amazed by the studio tracks & that monster 5.1.
    I was like...
    [​IMG]

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

14. mark winstanley

I am multizone, so no problem for me, but
    a) I would be really surprised if they were region coded
    b) Audio dvd's are not region coded

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't figure it would likely to be a problem, but thought I'd ask. I haven't looked into the details on this one yet, but some of the past editions had video content as well, not just audio.

16. mark winstanley

I have them all, and they are region free.
    It's all good mate

JediJoker, Norco74 and agentalbert like this.
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They are region-free and NTSC.

18. SJB

Yeah, I've ordered several of the Tull sets from Burning Shed in the UK, so they're not the U.S. Rhino editions, but the DVDs all work in my machines, no problem.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

All the sets appear to be made in the EU.

JediJoker likes this.
  20. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice read. Wonder what he thought of horses extras though

21. PROGGER

He thinks the stormwatch extras are better quality than the horses extras. Seems we are back on track for a full list of new goodies :D

footlooseman likes this.
  22. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Q.E.D.? Do you know what a Lyricon is? From wikipedia:

The Lyricon is an electronic wind instrument, the first wind controller to be constructed.
    Computone Wind Synthesizer Controller
    (essentially, Lyricon II without synthesizer)

Invented by Bill Bernardi (and co-engineered by Roger Noble and with the late Lyricon performer Chuck Greenberg), it was manufactured by Computone Inc. in Massachusetts in the early 1970s. The Lyricon was available in two designs, the first being somewhat silver and resembling a soprano saxophone and the latter, black and resembling an alto clarinet. Using a form of additive synthesis, the player was allowed to change between types of overtones with a key switchable between fundamentals of G, Bb, C, Eb, and F (allowing the instrument to be used to play transposed parts written for saxophones, trumpets, etc.) and an octave range that could be switched between low, medium, or high. The instrument also had controls for glissando, portamento, and "timbre attack" (a type of chorusing). The Lyricon used a bass clarinet mouthpiece, with a sprung metal sensor on the (non-vibrating) reed that detected lip pressure. Wind pressure was detected by a diaphragm, which moved and changed the light output from an LED, which was in turn sensed by a photocell to give dynamic control.

spondres, tootull, JediJoker and 3 others like this.
  23. PROGGER

Nice sounding synth. Tull didn't steer too much away from the Hammond and Piano. Like most bands they used some Rhodes in the mid 70s. Mainly 76 and 77. Would have loved to hear more Rhodes though :D. The occasional synth and pipe organ. They never tried the clav though :p

Kim Olesen likes this.
  24. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

So I just ran across a german tv (lip sync) performance of old ghosts, why can't these be included? I am seeing more and more professionally shot video that doesn't get included in these sets. I don't understand what they are holding these back for? It can't be money because whomever owns these aren't going to make much on their own.

25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It can very well be money. The rightholders are often asking licensing prizes that are very inflated.